Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:08 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times

Advertisements

I`m 48 live in Maryland and have now been unemployed for over a year. This is the first time in my life since I was a paperboy at 12 yrs of age that I have been unemployed. I send out resume after resume and the only 1 or 2 opportunities I had were commissioned only sales jobs that had me driving around cold calling. Needless to say,those cold calling jobs were a waste of time and gas. I`m now at the point where I `m totally discouraged and tired of looking for work. Everything I read says things are getting worse. Are there any good jobs out there? Is anybody hiring? In this economy,everyone knows someone out of work. I`m afraid that to get a job at this point, you have to know someone who can recommend you. For every job opening there are a hundreds of resumes. It seems to me that it`s almost impossible without a connection of some sort. My unemployment runs out soon. Then I won`t be able to make my car payment,insurance payment or cell payment. With no phone or car,it`s impossible to get a job. The future looks extremely gloom. Would life really be worth living with absolutely nothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 02:54 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Yes, life is still worth it. Think of your loved ones. I get really down too, as I imagine we all do. Hang in there. Keep looking. I've been taking a few days off a week from hunting, just to get away from it. With spring coming, I'm going to try to spend more time outside to cheer myself up without spending money. Then, looking and looking might not seem like such a chore.

We have to keep looking.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:43 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,656,171 times
I'm with you spm, I'm going on 16 months with no job myself and I am truly getting tired of going after jobs that seem to be a myth. So I think things are getting better, I have had 3 in person interviews in the last month and once again nothing. I just got my 3rd rejection email just about an hour ago. Whats funny though is they have a link to look at the jobs they are offering and the same job I interviewed for was posted again 2 days after I interviewed for it. ha. I could have found out last Thursday they didn't want me for the position if I would have looked. In fact they didn't want anybody they interviewed for it. As you say once it all runs out for us I have no clue what we are going to do. I have yet to lose it all but will not long after I lose my UI which there doesn't seem to be much left of. I truly believe you need to know someone in the company now to even be considered.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:07 PM

475 posts, read 1,644,138 times
Hang in there and quit reading this forum, it's a lot of gloom and doom. (No jobs, no more tiers stuff) Posters here represent a very very small portion of the general population.

Everything I have read indicates unemployemnt is slowing down and in some places, jobs are coming back.

There were actually a few CNC operators/machinist jobs in this weekend's paper, something that I have not seen in a long time.

Dick

Old 03-29-2010, 10:09 PM

56 posts, read 220,080 times
There's always the internet spm, while looking for a stable job, you can try and do freelancing services like online writing .. or some internet marketing stuff, a lot of companies now get these services online, you can try going to freelancer.com and see what stuff you can do and earn with. Cheer up, obstacles and challenges will always be there in our lives, it makes us appreciate the better times and hence, we work hard to get back to those happy times. Good luck..

Old 04-02-2010, 09:04 PM

563 posts, read 1,711,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khitty_kat View Post
There's always the internet spm, while looking for a stable job, you can try and do freelancing services like online writing .. or some internet marketing stuff, a lot of companies now get these services online, you can try going to freelancer.com and see what stuff you can do and earn with.
Sorry but this stuff has dried up too. Trust me, I'm an experienced writer and I tried.

All I can say is, just keep going. I am at 8 months now. I know people who have been without work for over a year. So know that you are not alone. And know that eventually, something has to give. One way or another. It may happen just in the nick of time. Try to focus on today. That's what gets me through. TODAY I can pay my bills. TODAY I have food. TODAY I still have money in the bank. Focus on that because you never know what will happen tomorrow, so it's senseless to worry. Easier said than done sometimes I know. But all it takes is one lucky break and you have a job. It could be 2 weeks from now for all you know. Just focus on today as best you can, let tomorrow take care of itself.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:13 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I`m 48 live in Maryland and have now been unemployed for over a year. This is the first time in my life since I was a paperboy at 12 yrs of age that I have been unemployed. I send out resume after resume and the only 1 or 2 opportunities I had were commissioned only sales jobs that had me driving around cold calling. Needless to say,those cold calling jobs were a waste of time and gas. I`m now at the point where I `m totally discouraged and tired of looking for work. Everything I read says things are getting worse. Are there any good jobs out there? Is anybody hiring? In this economy,everyone knows someone out of work. I`m afraid that to get a job at this point, you have to know someone who can recommend you. For every job opening there are a hundreds of resumes. It seems to me that it`s almost impossible without a connection of some sort. My unemployment runs out soon. Then I won`t be able to make my car payment,insurance payment or cell payment. With no phone or car,it`s impossible to get a job. The future looks extremely gloom. Would life really be worth living with absolutely nothing?
If you give up then the bast@rds have won. Fight. Never Surrender. Sell everything you have before they can take it from you, if you must. People can live well on almost nothing as long as you have your pride and self-respect. Some of the kindest, most decent people I have known in my life were dirt-poor. Sell everything and move somewhere where there are jobs. Learn how to tend bar. Be a dog groomer. Be a garbage man! These are all noble professions.

I was getting discouraged myself. But they can only hurt you if you LET THEM. Don't let them. Spit in their eye.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-03-2010, 01:23 PM

129 posts, read 533,410 times
Here is a poem I remember seeing around before. It's from an unknown author. Some of you may have seen this poem, or something like this, but I thought this would be worth sharing:

Don't Quit

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit-
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is wierd with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a fellow turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out.

Don't give up though the pace seems slow -
You may succeed with another blow.
Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man;
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the victor's cup;
And he learned too late when the night came down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out -
The silver tint in the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It might be near when it seems afar;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit -
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:53 PM

189 posts, read 647,708 times
there is a lot of positive thinking here which is great but that being said you can be as upbeat as you want the problem is a large % of the good paying jobs are gone. leaving us to fight over the low paying positions at walmart, taco bell, burger king. at a certain point you finally see there simply are no jobs and im positive of that.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:55 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Yes, life is still worth it. Think of your loved ones. I get really down too, as I imagine we all do. Hang in there. Keep looking. I've been taking a few days off a week from hunting, just to get away from it. With spring coming, I'm going to try to spend more time outside to cheer myself up without spending money. Then, looking and looking might not seem like such a chore.
What if you ended up being homeless and starving and in physical pain from various ailments (dental problems, being assaulted while you're out on the streets, etc.)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search