Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 02:41 PM

25 posts, read 49,458 times

Advertisements

So today was my final interview for a position in a school as a library aide.
The first interviewer alerted me that they thought I was overqualified for this position, but I expressed that I felt I was still a good fit and that I still wanted the job. So I meet with the principal today and she eventually asks if I was not to get this position, if I have ever considered being a teacher assistant. I'am new to this whole interviewing process and was not prepared on how to react to this. However, the previous person who interviewed me was present..and I did alert her in a follow up/thank you letter that I was really interested in the previous position I am interviewing for. So I did give an answer saying
"I have been interested in it before, and given the principals goals for the school, I would be interested if it was offered since the principal wants the teachers to be familiar with the library, but I did feel my skills could be of more help to the librarian" and I said this because the previous interviewer felt since I was overqualified I could be a risk since she wasn't sure if I just wanted anytime of full time job.
The principal then went on to say that she feels given my educational background and skills that I should be in the classroom being a good role model for the students. And that was the end of that...I didn't go into discussion any further since...as I said..I was thrown off completely, but did express I hope to hear from them soon.

So this is my question: Is she sublimely giving me a job offer as a teacher's assistant? And how and when should I address this? If I get the job as a library aide, I won't find out till Tuesday..and I have no idea if they'd still call me regardless if I get the job or not so I could inquire further about this position..
Is it safe to act on this now or wait till Tuesday for a call back? And I also have to write my follow up letter....ugh this is confusing!!
Any help would be nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 03:02 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,898,095 times
She's not subliminally offering you the job of teacher's assistant outright, she is strongly encouraging you to apply. And also hinting that you are not their top choice for the library assistant position.

Do you know how to apply for the position of teacher's assistant? If not, write back and inquire as to how to put your name in for that. Otherwise go ahead and apply and write back to the principal that you have taken her suggestion and applied, but that your top choice would still be the library position.

At this time your objective in applying for the teaching assistant job is just to flatter the principal by taking her advice. It will gain you brownie points for the library job that you do want. And if it turns out that you don't get the library job, and they do offer you the teaching job, you can always turn it down later (although I think it might be better to accept, to get your foot in the door, and then reapply for the library later).

Old 04-09-2010, 03:17 PM

At the moment, there is no positions posted on the website for a teacher aide, but she did say she will be hiring during spring for faculty staff the school opens up in the fall .
I am flattered that they do see potential in me to do other things and if she is willing to give me a shot at being a Teacher's aide which I thought was out of my skill level, I'd be more than happy to apply.
I just thought it might be too soon to express interest in that position, since I seemed to determined to get it, so once again...making me look like i'am too qualified and a flight risk which they always feared.

Thank you so much for the advice,
Thank you-follow up letter is on its way!

Old 04-09-2010, 05:55 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,717,858 times
Think about this, if the principle wants you to apply, and she's the decider, you've got the job. If you don't want it, you've probably got a good shot with either position.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbdreamin View Post
So today was my final interview for a position in a school as a library aide.
The first interviewer alerted me that they thought I was overqualified for this position, but I expressed that I felt I was still a good fit and that I still wanted the job. So I meet with the principal today and she eventually asks if I was not to get this position, if I have ever considered being a teacher assistant. I'am new to this whole interviewing process and was not prepared on how to react to this. However, the previous person who interviewed me was present..and I did alert her in a follow up/thank you letter that I was really interested in the previous position I am interviewing for. So I did give an answer saying
"I have been interested in it before, and given the principals goals for the school, I would be interested if it was offered since the principal wants the teachers to be familiar with the library, but I did feel my skills could be of more help to the librarian" and I said this because the previous interviewer felt since I was overqualified I could be a risk since she wasn't sure if I just wanted anytime of full time job.
The principal then went on to say that she feels given my educational background and skills that I should be in the classroom being a good role model for the students. And that was the end of that...I didn't go into discussion any further since...as I said..I was thrown off completely, but did express I hope to hear from them soon.

So this is my question: Is she sublimely giving me a job offer as a teacher's assistant? And how and when should I address this? If I get the job as a library aide, I won't find out till Tuesday..and I have no idea if they'd still call me regardless if I get the job or not so I could inquire further about this position..
Is it safe to act on this now or wait till Tuesday for a call back? And I also have to write my follow up letter....ugh this is confusing!!
Any help would be nice!

Ugh! I just realized I made a typo I meant Anything not anytime*

Old 04-09-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Think about this, if the principle wants you to apply, and she's the decider, you've got the job. If you don't want it, you've probably got a good shot with either position.
thanks for your insight=)

Old 04-12-2010, 02:45 PM

well I guess this can be considered good news!
The job asked if it was okay to call two of my references, mainly my previous and current supervisors before they made their final decision!!!But before I could jump for joy, as cruel fate would have it.. both of them took the day off today when the interviewer said they wanted to contact them..on this day!! And they said they'd make their final decision by Tuesday/tomorrow!!. Will this hinder my chances or make them think that since they can't get in contact with my references that I'am not worth it?! UGH this is so unfair! I know my they'd be back in tomorrow, I just hope they check their voicemails and call back A.S.A.P.How can they both take the day off on the same day!!!?!?! Did they have a secret meeting to sabotage me???...(T_____T)

Old 04-12-2010, 03:31 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,898,095 times
Calm down just a bit. Employers get that people take days off. It would be pretty foolish of any employer to waste their time going through interviews and requesting references, only to toss an applicant's profile in the trash because their boss took a personal day. They will likely just wait until tomorrow. You might want to consider offering some other references in lieu of these people (only people you've confirmed with of course). Of course, they still have to like what your references say and compare it to their overall package. You don't have the job quite yet, although it looks pretty good.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Calm down just a bit. Employers get that people take days off. It would be pretty foolish of any employer to waste their time going through interviews and requesting references, only to toss an applicant's profile in the trash because their boss took a personal day. They will likely just wait until tomorrow. You might want to consider offering some other references in lieu of these people (only people you've confirmed with of course). Of course, they still have to like what your references say and compare it to their overall package. You don't have the job quite yet, although it looks pretty good.
Thank you once again for responding and your right..it would be foolish to just give up because both my current and previous supervisor coincidentally took off the same day. Thing is I did give other references, but I suppose they prefer hearing my supervisors responses above my past co-workers.
I really hope I get any job they offer me (^_^)v
I'am keeping my fingers crossed!!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:50 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,568,901 times
Heres to your new job! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search