Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:51 AM

8,882 posts, read 20,262,668 times

Advertisements

Why is it that, for whatever completely logical reasons, if a person went to college but unable to get a degree, employers and agencies don't pay any attention to the Education part of the resume? And, it seems the same thing goes for taking some online/Internet classes. In any phone or in-person interview I've had, absolutely nothing was said about my education! I was not able to finish college, but was able to take some online/Internet classes pertaining to my chosen career, and I completed those classes.
Comments, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 10:00 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,712,941 times
It's like when you run a marathon, it doesn't matter how far you go, but it's all about getting to the finish line regardless of how long it takes you to get there.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:42 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,672,690 times
I know someone that did not graduate college. On his resume, he puts the years he went, name of school and major. He doesn't put "Bachelor of X" or anything. When he went for his first job interview, the interviewer asked "So, are you done with college?" 'Oh yeah! I'm done with that!'

In some cases, employers never check your educational background.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:46 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,904,216 times
My degree's on my resume, and I've never talked about it in an interview. My GPA is there, so they know I was a good student, what else is there to say?

Old 04-13-2010, 11:40 PM

18,630 posts, read 33,198,289 times
I don't have a B.A., and always put the school, finish date, concentration and "63 credits." For generic jobs, no one seemed to care, but it did put me in a different category than someone with no college.
I got a Master's in Public Health several years later (and also had two years of hospital RN school). I got into the MPH because of "four years of post-high school education," exceptional GRE score in verbal (and good in the other stuff) and so I got a master's without a bachelor's. As a friend of mine said, "The master's is like getting a free bachelor's." I never tried to lie about it, it's just that people skid over the "63 credits" and see me with a master's.
I also suspected that Boston University would take anyone with a good check.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:29 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,949,801 times
If you are still working on your degree, you could put down "in progress," which is what I did prior to gaining my BA. I did notice that employers took me more seriously after I completed my degree though.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:38 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,649,740 times
I guess it depends on the field, but it seems like for my field that the particular employer is going to care a lot more what value you added to the particular places you worked at beforehand and whether you're going to do the same for them. Kind of like what someone else said, it really doesn't matter how far you ran, as long as you can somehow get to the finish line, that's what counts.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:42 PM

660 posts, read 1,535,393 times
Having a 2-year degree in IT, I learned to just NEVER put that thing on my resume, unless there was some sort of job I was applying for (non-IT related) that would require one having the capacity to "think" and "solve problems". My degree is pretty much useless. In my experience, those who were looking to hire in IT wanted either a 4-year degree or a number of technical certificates under the belt. A 2-year degree was just flat-out ignored. In this day and age of "Keyword Filtering" HR robots with tater tots for brains, you do what you have to do to get a job, even if it means acting as something less-than.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:57 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,709,403 times
Your school can't say much about what you did there. My school will only say if someone was a student there, they consider the rest private. However, if they ask to see your diploma, you might be in trouble.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:04 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,290,103 times
Put when you attended down, also put any other classes that you took that were non credit as ongoing professional education. A professional resume reviewer told me this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search