Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:08 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,011,181 times

Advertisements

I've been on several interviews lately for jobs within my field (which is highly competitive as it is over-saturated by qualified applicants). The standard in my industry is a panel-style interview with an average of 3-5 interviewers. I have found myself getting tongue-tied and unable to effectively articulate my strengths even though my experiences is really marketable. I have found that I tend to perform better with one or two interviewers but the industry standard is 3-5 interviewers per panel. My anxiety has only increased the more I interview. It's so bad that even preparing for interviews fill me with great anxiety. I need a job BAD and tired of looking like a bumbling idiot in interviews. I'm not the type of person to give up but I feel as if this is a brick wall barring me from gaining full-time employment in my field. I really hate to go back to the job I had prior to receiving my degree (which currently is not available). Any ideas or suggestions appreciated. I'm at my wits end!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 10:11 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,295,431 times
Go on a lot of interviews to acclimate yourself to the situation.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:15 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,011,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Go on a lot of interviews to acclimate yourself to the situation.
My OP was a bit wordy but I did mention that the more I interview, the worse the anxiety has became.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times
Stop drinking coffee. And get better rest.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:17 AM

550 posts, read 1,355,277 times
My advice... you have nothing to lose. Sure it can be a bad mindset but it is not the end of the world if you don't get the job. I suffer from bad anxiety too, especially when I know I am being judged. I would get anxiety just practicing in front of the mirror lol.

I have a panel interview coming up in a week and I am sort of thrilled and terrified. I am thrilled about the interview yet terrified of choking. Believe in yourself. Be confident. If you know you are qualified, prove it. Be cocky if you have too (not to the point it turns off the interviewer). You have nothing to lose! There are plenty of companies out there!

Old 04-17-2010, 02:42 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
If I might ask, what field are you guys in?

Just try to be friendly and make the people like you. Get your point across but try to do something they can remember. It isn't the stats that get you the job, thats what a resume is for.. that only get you the interview, its the person that gets you the job. Be relaxed and practice different situations when you are alone

Old 04-17-2010, 03:24 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,243 times
Don't be intimidated. The people interviewing you are made out of the same stuff you are. Bone, muscle, blood, etc. They aren't supernatural.
They perform the same bodily functions that you do.
They have the same occasional problems as the rest of us. They are no better or worse than you. Heck, they might even have pimples on their butts.
THEY ARE JUST HUMAN BEINGS doing their jobs.
Try to relax and answer the questions directly and honestly.
Self confidence and a "I can do this" attitude goes a long way in an interview.
I was in supervision and on an interview commitee before I retired. They way a person portrays his/her self and their demeanor sometimes is more impressive than what they say.
Practice in frt of a mirror or better yet get some friends together and let them do a practice interview session on you.
You can do this. Be positive but not cocky. Don't brag. Just state the facts and your willingness to perform your duties for the betterment of the company or employer in such a way that you might be considered for promotion at some time in the future.
I wish you well.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:25 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,286 times
Do some research on the particular company with whom you will be interviewing. Most have a website. If you understand in advance what they are trying to accomplish, simply letting them know that you share their vision is a huge plus. It is so much more appealing to them to realize that you are not just looking to land a job-any job. Even one creative idea conveyed during your interview will show them that you have been already putting thought and effort into what they need. Walking in with this thought process will automatically bring you calmness and you will transcend any jitters. Good researching, and good luck.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:06 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,814,864 times
Whenever I go on interviews, I try to remember that the person across the desk:
isn't perfect
this is only part of their day
may be as nervous as I am
has had to interview for the job they have now too
might have a thousand other things on their mind
could be having family problems
or car problems
or any other problems etc

In other words they are human too.

I always take a leather bound folder with me and jot down at least three questions I want to ask the interviewer about the job and the company.

I also jot down major points about my experience and my education, which I have gone over and over already with someone in practice. I also bring an extra copy of my resume, just in case. It makes you look uber prepared!

It helps to read as much about interview questions as you can. Be prepared for tricky questions.

Be modest and polite but also confident in your answers. I've never failed to get a job when I was able to do this.

Most of all remember you are not alone. There are lots of people in your situation and going through the same thing.

You'll do great just because you care. My husband interviews people all the time and he says it's very common for people to not care and act immature in interviews. He has some interesting stories, I'll tell ya!

I wish the best to you. You will land a job!

Old 04-17-2010, 07:27 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Interviews tips

1. Keep your answers brief and simple

2. Let the Interviewers do most of the talking

3. Show interest in the company through the interviewer by asking their opinions on why it's such a great place to work

Keep those three in mind and you will be fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search