U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:25 AM

34 posts, read 554,742 times

Advertisements

Hi ... I need some advice.

I applied for a job and was called for an interview and its an hour and a half away from where I live. I don't mind going to the interview but the job description didn't mention a salary range.

Can I call the HR person back and ask for a range? Or is it gonna hurt my chances?

I don't want to go so far and it not be in my range and waste both of our times.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 06:44 AM

7,341 posts, read 16,660,022 times
I'm with you on this! As for me, I there are certain things that I want to know about the job (including salary) before I go to an interview. I don't like wasting my time and I don't like a company that stays quiet about certain job-related things.........you know, that "you didn't ask, so I didn't tell" type mentality! Na, Na, Na.....to old for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz09 View Post
Hi ... I need some advice.

I applied for a job and was called for an interview and its an hour and a half away from where I live. I don't mind going to the interview but the job description didn't mention a salary range.

Can I call the HR person back and ask for a range? Or is it gonna hurt my chances?

I don't want to go so far and it not be in my range and waste both of our times.

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2010, 08:22 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times
You should have an idea of what the salary range for the job is before you even apply. I've had times where I was called to come in for an interview and they knew that they were offering a low salary and were upfront with it right away to see if I'd still be interested. I've never gone through an interview process only to find out that the salary isn't at least in the low average range for that position in this area. Employers don't want to waste their time, either.

Frankly I would NOT bring up salary before the interview, it's a total deal killer.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 AM

551 posts, read 1,195,364 times
I got a call last night and this morning about a temporary job with a company I am very interested in working for. However, it is located close to 3 hours away and they don't know how long the position will last. The lady said she doesn't know the salary or hours either, which makes it really hard for me.

I suggested a phone interview first just for me to learn more about the position since taking a day off from work on a short notice is pretty hard where I currently work.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:44 AM

8,820 posts, read 13,316,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Frankly I would NOT bring up salary before the interview, it's a total deal killer.
I agree usually it is not a good idea to talk about salary untill an offer is on the table of very close. I find it is a bad sign when the company asks about salary on the phone screen or early in the interview. It often means they are a small lowballing company shopping for suckers.

I got burrned last month by a company. I defelected the salary question on the initial phone screen with competitive and I need to hear more about the job first. After 3 interveiws the offer came in $17/hour. That was the worst offer I've ever recieved in my life and 30% less than I am making now. Needless to say I did not take the offer and was left with a bad taste in my mouth about that company.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
I got a call last night and this morning about a temporary job with a company I am very interested in working for. However, it is located close to 3 hours away and they don't know how long the position will last. The lady said she doesn't know the salary or hours either, which makes it really hard for me.

I suggested a phone interview first just for me to learn more about the position since taking a day off from work on a short notice is pretty hard where I currently work.
For a temp or contract job I think that asking about salary upfront is fair game, especially if you are currently working. Temp/contract jobs are in my opinion an entirely different ballgame, if nothing else because generally speaking the money on the table is what it is and there's not a lot of wiggle room, and no benefits.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:21 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,377,394 times
No, I wouldn't call. I would just consider this part of the interview process and if the expectation isn't there then move on. But if you call and ask it makes it sound like all you are worried about is the money. I know a lot of people will say "well, yeah, money is why I work" but that's not always the case. In my case I am making less than what my expenses are after daycare and driving BUT I find the potential to learn at this particul job to be worth more than the actual pay. So, right now I basically pay to work, lol!
Anyway, just my 2 cents. Good luck. Now, if you are only somewhat interested in the job then go ahead and call and not worry about it. but if this is something you think you really want to do or would be a great stepping stone in your career then I would not call.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:38 AM

4,805 posts, read 20,257,125 times
From an HR standpoint:

You applied knowing the job was 90 mins away.
You applied knowing the salary range wasn't mentioned.
You accepted a request for an interview.

And NOW you decide you aren't sure if these are acceptable terms?

What if they do offer you a decent salary--will you still be willing to drive 90 mins every day?
What if you accept, will you still be looking for another job that is closer to home?

HR is going to think all of these things if you call and ask them about salary. They are going to assume their efforts to interview and recruit you are a waste of tiem.

I wouldn't call.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:25 PM

84 posts, read 244,962 times
I wish all jobs posted salary information and saved us all the drama. I hate having to bring salary up. I'll go through a whole interview and salary is never mentioned. When I asked about the salary once at the end of an interview the interviewers acted suprised that I would ask that question. Almost as if they were offended. Crazy.

I never worked in HR so I don't know the answer as to why all jobs aren't posted with salary. Can anyone answer that for me?

Old 04-28-2010, 12:33 PM

I think sometimes the salary isn't posted because the employer has a very wide range in mind depending on who they hire.

I know that one of the jobs we are looking to fill right now could pay anything from a straight $50K a year to over $100K a year depending on the qualifications of the person hired. But it would be absurd to put that big of a range in an ad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search