Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:03 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,807,550 times

Advertisements

I've got an ad running for a "professional" position, and several of the resumes and cover letters have come in written like this (pay no attention to the words but rather the punctuation):

I have been an over-achiever in all of my previous employment... I have always met or exceeded all requirements... My experience exactly meets your position... blah blah blah... blah blah blah...

The first resume/cover letter with the ... thing was weird, but then I got several more. These aren't younger people, Gen X-er's or whatever the latest group is called, but older people (40's and above) mid-level or higher in theri careers. It just seemed odd that there were so many using that punctuation "style" if it were. It's not regional, the resumes were coming from all over the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 01:12 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,801,885 times
I tend to do the .... thing when posting in forums or in emails (non business), but I certainly wouldn't do it in a cover letter or resume. Also, they must be either not using or ignoring any grammar check software LOL

Is there any correlation between that "style" and length of employment gap perhaps? Maybe they are candidates who have been unemployed for a while and have gotten into the habit through using forums etc.

Then again, it may just be the "latest" advice given on some help with job searching site as you said it seems to be emanating from all areas geographically.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:18 PM

Some are currently employed, some have been unemployed for a short time (2-4 months), and some are long-term unemployed. There's just no rhyme or reason to it.

I agree about the message board thing. I don't spell check and sometimes ignore typos, but in a resume and cover letter I'd want my 10th grade English teacher who was a grammar Nazi to give me an A+++++++.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:35 AM

49 posts, read 144,609 times
Those people need to STEP AWAY from their computer and quit using their phone for texting. Seriously that is a very often used way of writing in social media and computing these days but if they don't have the sense to separate a professional situation from a personal one, put their resume on the bottom of your pile. You wouldn't want them replying to customers or other business correspondence using this manner of grammar.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:42 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,192,099 times
I would never include that type of punctuation in a resume or cover letter. What are these people thinking? Especially at the professional/mid-career level. I am in my 40s.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:31 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,302,261 times
Strangely enough, ever since I started working in the "professional" world, I've noticed a significant amount of grammatical dereliction in official business correspondences between co-workers. As in annerk's case, this is not coming from the younger Gen-Yers, but the upper management crowd; the folks who have been around for awhile. Maybe they've just gotten lazy over the years, or indifferent. Nonetheless, I find it sad and disturbing that I have to incorporate the proper punctuation, spelling, and capitalization while reading emails from my boss.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:48 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,007,939 times
I use a lot of ellipsis (what these three dots are...) when I write on this forum but never on my resumes.

Is this what you are seeing, a lot of ellipsis?

I wonder why they'd use them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

Old 04-29-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I use a lot of ellipsis (what these three dots are...) when I write on this forum but never on my resumes.

Is this what you are seeing, a lot of ellipsis?

I wonder why they'd use them.

Ellipsis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes ... This is what I'm seeing... I Got another this morning... From an Applicant in Virginia... Who Randomly capitalized the first Letter of some words In the sentence... Weird...

Old 04-29-2010, 02:33 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,302,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Yes ... This is what I'm seeing... I Got another this morning... From an Applicant in Virginia... Who Randomly capitalized the first Letter of some words In the sentence... Weird...
Maybe he's originally from Germany, where all nouns are capitalized.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:27 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,007,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
He probably just doesn't have a concept of grammar. I see it with my husband. He's well read and well spoken *when he's not swearing* but he cannot write a sentence without random capitalizing! I asked him where he was during English writing and grammar lessons (in England no less) but he just gets annoyed.

I proof read everything he write. He wants to learn how to write better and I have TRIED to help him but he won't put in the time. I see the same problems with our son.

I feel like ever since I was a kid I have been the 'village scribe.' Everyone had me write or proof read their papers, letters and so forth in my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search