U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 05:35 PM
JS1

1,898 posts, read 6,126,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
In some cultures people eat with their hands / fingers and don't use a spoon & fork. Like my Filipino mom & aunt.

I'd really enjoy an interview if they treated me to lunch. Has never happened since 1992.
That's nice, we don't live in the Philippines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 05:38 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,242,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If they will be expected to have meals with customers of the company, yes.

Prior to this post, I was thinking "what???" But after your reply I have to say "good point."

Old 05-06-2010, 06:02 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,919,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Holy smokes. My boss interviewed a prospective employee today. It was lunchtime, he took the applicant to lunch and invited me along as well.

The applicant wasn't the #1 guy of the three that made the final cut, but at lunch he fell completely off the list.

Holy bad manners, Batman.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone chew louder. He smacked his lips, talked with his mouth full, ate with his fingers (I'm not talking about the french fries, but rather the cherry tomatoes on his salad!) just deplorable table manners. It was all I could do to keep from asking if he had been raised in a barn by a herd of goats.

Yes, we're a relaxed company, but there's a difference between relaxed and bad manners. It's unfortunate that either he just doesn't know better or let down his guard, but the bad table manners cost him a job.

After he left, my boss just looked at me and I said, "No, you weren't imagining it."
You got a wise boss there, pay attention to what he can teach you!

People who eat like a pig or a dog are gross and don't need to be tolerated in this down market. There is no excuse for it, not everybody can learn sing and dance, but any normal person over about 6 years old should have at least acceptable table manners. I don't care if they know what fork to use for what but if they smack their lips, chew with their mouth open, etc. - I say kick 'em to the curb.

The point about maybe being illiterate is good too - in any case if the guy abused the wait staff to me that's another red flag that you don't want to hire him.

So:

Bad Manners - strike one
Abuses Wait Staff - strike two
Signs of Illiteracy - strike three, your'e outta here!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:54 PM

1,765 posts, read 3,753,817 times
For ll of the reasons discussed above I think the lunch interview is very helpful....it's gives you a view of the candidate you don't get in the more formal setting. But I remember hating them as a candidate. I was always very nervous about dropping something on my shirt, etc. I picked my lunch based on what was easiest and least messy, rather than what my taste buds wanted, LOL.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:42 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Maybe it's just me but I would have just ordered something very very small with some sort of beverage. No need to eat a meal if it's a job interview when I can eat much later.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:00 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,239,591 times
If you didn't run every applicant through the same table manners drill, then I think it is extremely unfair to have used this exercise as a means of disqualifying one applicant.

The manners you describe sound like poor manners, but not as egregiously bad as it seems made out to be here. Especially the bit about the cherry tomato. Come on, it's a whole vegetable. And one that can be a bit tricky to eat with a utensil. No doubt it would have been a mark against him if the tomato had rolled off his plate during an attempt to spear it with a fork.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:06 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
If you didn't run every applicant through the same table manners drill, then I think it is extremely unfair to have used this exercise as a means of disqualifying one applicant.

The manners you describe sound like poor manners, but not as egregiously bad as it seems made out to be here. Especially the bit about the cherry tomato. Come on, it's a whole vegetable. And one that can be a bit tricky to eat with a utensil. No doubt it would have been a mark against him if the tomato had rolled off his plate during an attempt to spear it with a fork.

The guy sounded like he was hungry which he could have dealt with later.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:15 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
He was starting as number three of three to begin with, so it wasn't like he went from top to bottom due to bad table manners. The other two interviews are taking place at the same time of the day next week, and I expect all will involve lunch. After meeting with him--even if it hadn't been over lunch--he wouldn't have gotten the job, but the manners would have cost him the job even if he had otherwise been perfect.

Quote:
If you can't eat a cherry tomato with a knife and fork, then just leave it. Picking up a vegatable covered in French dressing and popping it in your mouth is with your fingers is not the correct way to make a good impression.

The whole chewing with his mouth open and talking with it full of food thing got me. At one point a piece of food fell out onto his lap while he was talking and he picked it up and popped this half chewed piece of meat back into his mouth--gross! It was enough to make me lose my appetite.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:21 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Maybe it's just me but I would have just ordered something very very small with some sort of beverage. No need to eat a meal if it's a job interview when I can eat much later.
There was nothing wrong with what he ordered. This was a casual table service type of place, and he ordered an entree in the mid-range as far as price and iced tea to drink, no alcohol. In all honesty if he had only ordered something really small he would have been finished long before my boss and I, which would have been uncomfortable as well.

You've obviously never been on an interview for a higher level position where a meal was involved and you are expected to eat. It's a good way for a prospective emplyer to learn a lot more about you than what your resume shows. Your table manners, ability to make interesting conversation while deflecting sensitive topics, and in some cases, your ability to order from a wine list and ahve a clue about what you are actually ordering when you need to entertain clients.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:52 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,940,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
So, regardless of how qualified someone is for a job...it matters if they have table manners?
LOL
Behavior is part of being qualified...

To add...Like anything else, there isn't an one size fits all for an interview meal. If the interviewer wants a tough manager, and the waitstaff messes up it may be better to show off manager skills vs being super-nice or ignoring a problem. Management skills doesn't include calling anyone stupid, simply being assertive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or