U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:02 AM

8,191 posts, read 28,128,957 times

Advertisements

I was raised in a barn (by a herd of horses, not goats) and I have lovely table manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 09:08 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I was raised in a barn (by a herd of horses, not goats) and I have lovely table manners.
Horses have better manners than goats overall.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:19 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,600,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
In some cultures people eat with their hands / fingers and don't use a spoon & fork. Like my Filipino mom & aunt.

I'd really enjoy an interview if they treated me to lunch. Has never happened since 1992.
Filipinos only eat with their hands, if ever, at home, not at restaurants, unless they are eating at a restaurant whose main draw is just that...to eat with their hands, like Kamayan Restaurant.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:01 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,610,273 times
Was this the same applicant who you had a telephone interview with?
Another "What Not To Do"

Old 05-07-2010, 05:16 PM

5,532 posts, read 5,981,930 times
Lunch interviews are one of the worst I can imagine and will avoid them at all cost:
1) Don't know what to order - it can be considered too much/too expensive. If I have no choice, I will order a soft drink or coffee.
2) It is difficult to speak with a full mouth.
3) If more people participate, sometimes a private conversation develops among them. I have no idea what to say, if and where to join.
However, it heavily depends on the kind of job and field the company is in. Sales, advertisement, business, finance are different then engineering. Overall, there is a trend to judge people by superficial things like dress, shoes, the way the candidate eats or drinks.
For those who saw the movie "Frost Nixon" there is a wonderful scene when they meet for the first time. Frost steps out of his limo in a pair of Italian loafers. Nixon looks at them and makes up his mind based on these shoes. Boy, how wrong he was!

Old 05-07-2010, 05:27 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,800,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Lunch interviews are one of the worst I can imagine and will avoid them at all cost:
1) Don't know what to order - it can be considered too much/too expensive. If I have no choice, I will order a soft drink or coffee.
2) It is difficult to speak with a full mouth.
3) If more people participate, sometimes a private conversation develops among them. I have no idea what to say, if and where to join.
However, it heavily depends on the kind of job and field the company is in. Sales, advertisement, business, finance are different then engineering. Overall, there is a trend to judge people by superficial things like dress, shoes, the way the candidate eats or drinks.
For those who saw the movie "Frost Nixon" there is a wonderful scene when they meet for the first time. Frost steps out of his limo in a pair of Italian loafers. Nixon looks at them and makes up his mind based on these shoes. Boy, how wrong he was!
Interviewing can be a total crap shoot. There are plenty of people that can BS there way through. I like having getting people in a non-interview situation. Helps to see what they are really like.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:35 PM
NSX

866 posts, read 1,838,755 times
Reminds me of an experience I had coming out of grad school. Had an interview dinner arranged with a group of competition for once spot. They were almost all 25-30yr old Ivy League applicants except for me, who just went to a meager Big Ten top 30 school. It was the biggest butt-kissing fest I had ever seen, and both the interviewers and interviewees were pretty smug and direspectful to me once the hosts found out that I was not a wealthy Princeton/Harvard man. and made a few snide comments along the lines of how I must have "slipped through the cracks". It didn't seem to matter that I graduated at the top of my class and had years of relevant work experience.

I ended up ordering myself a Grande plate of Nachos, side of chimichangas, and three Labatts to go along with it and I still remember how good the meal was, Mmmm, (needless to say I didn't get the job)

Ironically, now I am much more successful than the people in the position I was interviewing for and the interviewers themselves. If they are taking you seriously, I don't recommend doing what I did. But if not...Bon Appetit!

Old 05-07-2010, 07:53 PM

26 posts, read 43,302 times
This reminds me of a coworker who was completely baffled why he never got a 2nd date with a lady.
His table manners at lunch were absolutely horrible!! Open mouth chewing, lip smacking, drooling, talking with mouth full and spitting, whole cookies in the cookie "duster", dead facial skin with enough dandruff on his shirt to fill a snow globe(The inflatable one that goes in the front yard at Christmas). Despite being a borderline stutterer he was attractive enough to get to the first date but it was all over after dinner.

I'm not knocking the guy I actually felt sorry for him. Especially when I had to sit and listen to all his stories about how she never answered her phone after that first dinner date. What can you say without insulting the guy though?
I think a couple girls walked out before they got to dessert.

Bless his heart for he tries and tries.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:08 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,381,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Holy smokes. My boss interviewed a prospective employee today. It was lunchtime, he took the applicant to lunch and invited me along as well.

The applicant wasn't the #1 guy of the three that made the final cut, but at lunch he fell completely off the list.

Holy bad manners, Batman.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone chew louder. He smacked his lips, talked with his mouth full, ate with his fingers (I'm not talking about the french fries, but rather the cherry tomatoes on his salad!) just deplorable table manners. It was all I could do to keep from asking if he had been raised in a barn by a herd of goats.

Yes, we're a relaxed company, but there's a difference between relaxed and bad manners. It's unfortunate that either he just doesn't know better or let down his guard, but the bad table manners cost him a job.

After he left, my boss just looked at me and I said, "No, you weren't imagining it."
I wouldn't have had a problem with the cherry tomato.

Anyway, many people have bad manners these days. It comes from a lifetime of eating and not interacting with people while doing so. Blame it on the television.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-07-2010, 08:15 PM
NSX

866 posts, read 1,838,755 times
I don't see why some people are so concerned about someone having perfect table manners. As long as somebody can do the job well, and is not a complete slob, why should anybody care?

My table manners are average at best, fortunately I don't need to interview anymore. I'm sure that would hurt me in an interview for a Finance/Accounting position. I'm not "messy" with what I eat, but I don't know all of the rules about which hand to hold the fork/knife in...appropriate meals to order, the "right time" to sit down etc. Maybe designing cutting-edge software for large technology clients is different than where others work. I could come into work in my pajamas and eat jelly donuts in the boardroom, but as long as I keep cranking out great software for my clients, nobody would bat an eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or