U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 09:42 AM

26 posts, read 43,265 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Sorry this is long.[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]OK so I applied for a job out of state on a jobsite. The job posting accidentally listed the HR lady’s name but no contact info. So I submitted my polished resume specific to the job and went to work researching the company. I found the HR Lady by name and company on Linkedin and shot her a message stating I sent her my resume and would like to invite her to view my Linkedin profile.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]She emailed me later that day at the email provided on my resume saying she got the resume and the Linkedin messageand it looked great and she was going to forward it to the hiring manager. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I get a call the following Monday from her. She gave me about a 20 minute round of questions such as why do I want to leave my current job, why am I moving to the state the job is in, salary expectations, and reviewed my job history and experience. She then told me the hiring manager was conducting live interviews on Friday in a nearby city to theirs. Despite being an 18 hr drive for me I offered to be there. She said let me call you right back, I will run to his office and see if he wants to do a phone interview with you. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]She called back and said he would like to interview me by phone on Wednesday. I agreed but reiterated I could come down for the Friday face to face. She said that he really liked my resume and a phone interview would be fine.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]At first I felt blown off by only getting a phone interview. So I thought, OK this is going to take some extra effort so I prepared diligently. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Wednesday the hiring manager calls and we had a good ice breaker conversation about weather here and there, etc.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]He started off with a rather lengthy, generic description of the job and why they were adding someone to the area. For awhile I felt like I was never going to get the chance to talk. Finally I let loose about my experience and why I was the best fit, etc. Then he made a comment about a certain aspect of the business that gave me a perfect opportunity to discuss what I researched about the company. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I responded by telling him how surprised I was when I learned it on their corporate website that the demand for the type of service they offer grew by 6.8% versus only 4.2% for what they dont offer. He actually sounded excited that I knew this info. So I continued with “I interpret that to indicate this company has an excellent opportunity for growth” He become even more excited so I followed up with “ I believe the only way to realize such growth and gain the best market share is through excellent customer service and that is what I specialize in”. He then got even more excited and was very agreeable with me about customer service, etc then commented how he liked my train of thought. I NEVER expected to hear a hiring manager get that excited and loud spoken about what I had to say but it was happening![/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We discussed several things then he went into a big explanation of how I would get a company car, expense card to fill the tank, maintenance on the car, etc, a company cell phone, printer and company laptop with an air card. He was explaining all this as if he just hired me and even added that he didn’t care if I used the vehicle for personal use except vacations.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]He then went into explaining his management style about how he will rarely even call me unless there were complaints. He said if you want to sleep in until 11a.m. then who cares as long as your daily assignments are handled.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]So I was thinking WOW, he’s talking like I just got the job.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]So next he tells me “Well (HR chick) really likes you,,,,,err I mean she really likes your style and professionalism and she spoke very highly of you. She and I both are really impressed by your resume and experience. You have touched on some very impressive subjects and I was shocked you knew so much about the company.” Then he says “I’m traveling Thursday to get a hotel in (job city) so I can conduct interviews on Friday so we will see what happens but I will say (HR chick) and I both like the idea you are from out of state.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Not sure what all that meant about being from out of state but he says it’s a big positive? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I’m sure he knows about my salary expectations from HR chick yet he didn’t seem phased that I was asking for the median income even though he and I didn’t directly discuss numbers he just touched on pay briefly. I also explained I already had an apartment lined up when he began to questioned how soon I would me moving to the area.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Then the shocker,,,,he asked how soon I could start. I told him I preferred to give a 2 week notice. He shot back with “That’s what I like about you”. Then he gave me two dates he said he would like to get “someone” started. Which I would have to put in my notice this Monday to meet that date.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]He then finished with “It was a pleasure talking with you. I’m going down Thursday to get set up and conducting interviews on Friday and we will see what happens.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Does it sound like I have a chance? Was he just pacifying me or do they not go into these types of discussions unless they are seriously considering you such as when can you start? He stated he and HR chick were impressed that has to be genuine right?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Any input?[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 10:19 AM

4,805 posts, read 20,229,152 times
Don't plan to put in your notice on monday. Two weeks' notice should be from the date of offer, or date of acceptance of offer--not from the date of your interview! And TBH, I would be a bit leery of an employer that is that eager to have someone start. They sound a bit desperate, or possibly not good business planners. Two weeks is really the absolute minimum an applicant would need, so most employers plan on allowing three to four weeks from the date of offer.

As for the other things, being first to be interviewed is a good position to be in. You set the bar for everyone else. But it also means typically that the interviewer's mind is a blank slate when you meet with them. They don't have any other applicants or other qualifications in their mind to compare all of your answers to. So it can seem like they absolutely love you when its really just more a lack of any alternative. So don't presume that the job is essentially yours.

And a lot of employers go into details about benefits and company culture. In part, it helps the conversation flow better. In part, they just want to give the applicant enough information that the person they make an offer to can make an informed decision about accepting it. I've had employers go through an entire packet of benefits and company policies with me, and didn't get an offer.

The bit about liking you because you're from out of state could just be that they are looking for a fresh face/perspective. Sometimes industries become a bit small and the same ideas and approaches circulate from one employer to the next and back again, with nothing new ever happening. Someone from out of state could stop that cycle. Or maybe they are thinking you will bring a client list or familiarity with your current market that will benefit the company, now or in the future.

Bottom line: I think you have a chance, it doesn't sound like they were blowing smoke. But I don't think you are a shoe-in either.

Last edited by kodaka; 05-07-2010 at 10:44 AM..

Old 05-07-2010, 10:39 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,754,055 times
Do you have a chance?

The fact that you are questioning if you even have a chance after an interview like that makes me wonder a bit. Honestly, I can't imagine anyone thinking they didn't have a chance at all after a conversation like that.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:43 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
I totally agree with Kodaka. It sounds like you've got a good shot, but you do not have the job yet. Good luck!

Old 05-07-2010, 11:40 AM

26 posts, read 43,265 times
I think I now realize why they like a person from out of state. If you have a car accident and they send a person to write a quote on what it costs to fix it, I would be that guy should you use this company.
I believe they prefer a stranger so there is no favortism in case I had to estimate a friend or family members vehicle. This way it would be all strangers and I would be less likely to exagerate anything to benefit someone else. Same for the body shops I would be dealing with.
I understand it's not a shoe-in. I just wasn't sure if it was common to make a candidate to feel like a good choice or if I in fact had a great interview.
When discussing start dates I did mention I would likely be let go by my current employer when I put the notice in but I couldn't guarrantee that. He was very appreciative of the fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search