U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:04 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
And yeah, $35k is below poverty line in most of the country. The person you hire will likely qualify for food stamps and housing assistance. Something a working person with a college degree should never have to rely on. Not even an entry-level worker.
You are very wrong on that. The poverty line is well below that point, even for a family of four.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
Thanks for clarifying. On the other hand, I think most people with some intelligence can still be trained to an accounting clerk position. You have to have working knowledge of very basic math (adding, subtracting, multiplying). I did some accounting work while I was in college. Honestly, I was bored out of my mind most of the time because of how elementary it was. It does not take a rocket scientist to be an accounting clerk. A high school diploma, an average brain, and some motivation to learn is all it would take to fill that position.
It was an accounting assistant position, which is different from an accounting clerk who does nothing but data entry and filing all day. In my opinion it's much smarter to hire a recent grad with an accounting degree over someone who has never worked anywhere but a fast food joint for an accounting assistant position.

Quote:
The problem I'm seeing in America today is that companies are wanting some guy with an Engineering degree to put together basic Excel spreadsheets. That seems to be the only way they feel justified in paying someone $35k a year to do a job. I'd argue that most jobs that do require a degree, don't actually need a degree. But our mentality these days is that we want the best for the least amount of money.
And why shouldn't companies want to get the best quality for their budget?

Old 05-10-2010, 11:12 AM

55 posts, read 161,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You are very wrong on that. The poverty line is well below that point, even for a family of four.
Sorry, he said in many areas. 38k is the federal poverty rate for a family of four.

Cite: 2009 Federal Poverty Guidelines

Old 05-10-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomodan View Post
Sorry, he said in many areas. 38k is the federal poverty rate for a family of four.

Cite: 2009 Federal Poverty Guidelines
On that link I'm not seeing that. I'm seeing $22,050 for a family of four per the 2009 Poverty Guidelines for the 48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:35 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,754,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
We are always laughing when a guy who works as a landscaper by the name of Marcus will always apply for every opening at the company including Vice President level positions.

So next time you hear that a job opening had 200 resumes don't be too concerned because Marcus the Landscaper also applied with his generic catch all resume!
Ha, ha, nice stab at 'low level workers' trying to work their way up. How dare Marcus try to better himself. Glad you have a good chuckle.

Your threads are precious in nature. Do much fiction writing?

Old 05-10-2010, 11:46 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,922,638 times
Quote:
It was an accounting assistant position, which is different from an accounting clerk who does nothing but data entry and filing all day. In my opinion it's much smarter to hire a recent grad with an accounting degree over someone who has never worked anywhere but a fast food joint for an accounting assistant position.

And why shouldn't companies want to get the best quality for their budget?
Funny thing is that I was an accounting assistant while I was in college studying, well, not accounting. No, it wasn't data entry. I spent much of the time reconciling state sales/use tax returns for over 20 different states. Trust me, it was not difficult, but rather extremely monotonous.

There's nothing wrong with a company wanting to get the best quality for their budget. On the other hand, quality comes with a price ($$$). Unfortunately, corporate America has us in a stranglehold by outsourcing millions of jobs, many of which would demand $$$ in this country. Now it's not out of the ordinary that you can find a software engineer willing to work for $35k/yr., because that's what the equilibrium wage has artificially been reduced to. Not a very level playing field, wouldn't you say?

Old 05-10-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Funny thing is that I was an accounting assistant while I was in college studying, well, not accounting. No, it wasn't data entry. I spent much of the time reconciling state sales/use tax returns for over 20 different states. Trust me, it was not difficult, but rather extremely monotonous.
And my guess is that the u/e rate was a lot lower then. These days a company would be foolish to pass by people with some education or experience in the field for a complete novice.

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with a company wanting to get the best quality for their budget. On the other hand, quality comes with a price ($$$). Unfortunately, corporate America has us in a stranglehold by outsourcing millions of jobs, many of which would demand $$$ in this country. Now it's not out of the ordinary that you can find a software engineer willing to work for $35k/yr., because that's what the equilibrium wage has artificially been reduced to. Not a very level playing field, wouldn't you say?
You are preaching to the choir about outsourcing.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:08 PM

551 posts, read 1,194,073 times
My coworker who use to work for one of the biggest engineering firms in the country and world, told me his company hired bank tellers to be pipe design engineers lol.

This was 3-4 years ago. Some companies will give people with no relevant experience and education a chance. Funny thing is, my friend was an architect/designer and got laid off. The bank tellers turned pipe design engineers, are still with the company lol. They were very attractive women as well.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:10 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,922,638 times
Quote:

You are preaching to the choir about outsourcing.
You mean we finally agree on something (other than TVSG being a buffoon)?!?! I never thought I'd see the day haha. I'm feeling all tingly inside.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:15 PM

128 posts, read 348,493 times
Of the 200 that applied there was still maybe 30 had experience or training as an Accounting Assistant. But why spend alot of time training when you can find people who have done similar jobs in the past or have a two year Accounting Assistant degree and an internship on their resume.

Many people would love to work for $35K. If your spouse makes a similar wage you can survive on a lower middle class lifestyle as long as you live in a place like Memphis and have no kids.

Quote:
Do companies not train anymore? I mean, c'mon. $35k is an entry level salary. What's going to happen in this country when all the baby boomers retire and you have a bunch of youngsters with no experience because nobody ever gave them a shot? Answer: You're going to have a lot of candidates with very little, if any, experience to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or