U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:26 PM

7 posts, read 11,395 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I had an interview this past Thursday for and externship position. The interviewer stated that they are interviewing about 17 other people for two positions but they should have a decision the day after my interview (which would have been Friday) and would e-mail everyone their decision. I sent a thank you email right after the interview and he responded that we would "talk soon." It is now Monday (3:30 pm) and I have not heard anything else. I don't know when I should call. Today still? (the last e-mail he sent was well after business hours) or should I wait until tomorrow? He indicated that they were on a tight schedule and wanted people to start soon. I felt that the interview went well. When should I call or e-mail ?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 01:28 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
I would wait until tomorrow afternoon if not Wednesday morning if they still had 17 people to interview.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:41 PM

Yes but he said that they would have everyone interviewed by Friday afternoon. (sorry I am very anxious as I need an externship to graduate)

Old 05-10-2010, 01:48 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
You've already sent a thank you note to follow up so they know you are interested. Don't give them a reason to write you off by making yourself out to be a pest. You never know what might have come up with someone being out sick or something that is holding them up for a day or two.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:03 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,251,757 times
I probably wouldn't all at all, after the thank you. But definitely not before wednesday. Give them at least a chance to breath and collect their thoughts after that many interviews.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:28 PM

164 posts, read 866,421 times
If the answer is yes today it will be yes on Wednesday. Likewise, if the answer is no today it could be yes on Wednesday if someone else backs out. I agree, wait another day or two for them to complete there reviews.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:02 PM

Thank you all for the advise. The only reason I thought about calling earlier was because he seemed really eager to have people start right away (to create overlap with the old externs) and because articles online say it is always good to call to express interest again. I think the reason I'm getting anxious as well is because the weekend was in between so it seems like it has been a long time. I will call either tomorrow afternoon or wednesday morning. Thank you again for the comments

Old 05-10-2010, 03:25 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,800,694 times
They would first need to talk with the top 2 choices. Perhaps those people have not yet responded.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:47 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extern View Post
Hi everyone,
I had an interview this past Thursday for and externship position. The interviewer stated that they are interviewing about 17 other people for two positions but they should have a decision the day after my interview (which would have been Friday) and would e-mail everyone their decision. I sent a thank you email right after the interview and he responded that we would "talk soon." It is now Monday (3:30 pm) and I have not heard anything else. I don't know when I should call. Today still? (the last e-mail he sent was well after business hours) or should I wait until tomorrow? He indicated that they were on a tight schedule and wanted people to start soon. I felt that the interview went well. When should I call or e-mail ?
Thank you

Don't call at all because they have your contact information if they are interersted in bringing on board.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 PM

228 posts, read 592,542 times
Hiring folks often talk about getting someone on board quickly and start soon but there are so many potential bottlenecks in the process that their desire almost never correlates to realms of possibility. So you end up with frustration on the hiring managers side and the candidates. Hold your additional phone call- there is so much that can happen behind the scenes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search