U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2010, 09:07 PM
 
854 posts, read 3,339,723 times
Reputation: 652

Advertisements

I had a second interview last week, and it seemed like a great match, especially with the person who would be my boss. Then on Friday, two of my references told me they got a call from the potential boss about me, however, so far it's all been voice mail, and the potential employer only tried to reach them once.

There are a few things I am trying to figure out (it was a nail biting weekend, hard to wait patiently!).

First, the employer seems to have only called two of my three references, as I checked with my third reference and she did not get a call. This reference was the only prior boss on my list, however, she was also the only one not still employed at the company where we worked together. Do you think this could be a factor? Do employers ever disregard references from people not employed at the same company and/or with cell phone #'s as contact numbers?

Next, do employers usually only call the references of one candidate at a time?

Last, when I talked to my prior boss, she offered to call the potential boss pro-actively. She is a very easy to talk to enthusiastic person, and she would be great. However, I am worried that it could backfire, especially since the only reason I know my references were being called is because my references told me (although my prior boss does know another one of my references, so she could have potentially found out that way and not from me). Thoughts? Tempting but not sure!

Any stories, words of wisdom, calming advice, etc., is appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2010, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Buffalo, trying to leave
1,228 posts, read 3,316,446 times
Reputation: 775
Sounds like you're overthinking this. References are the last step if the HR Manager has a brain. Assuming you have a brain, and you didn't pick people who hate you as references, you'll be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 09:35 PM
 
4,805 posts, read 20,223,704 times
Reputation: 4971
You're doing that thing, where you hyperanalyze every breath and blink the interviewer did. Stop that.

There could be any number of reasons why they didn't call. Maybe they ran out of time (had a meeting to go to, or another call came in they had to answer, or something pressing came up). Or maybe they just didn't feel they needed to call the third person after talking with the first two. Yes, some employers won't call people you know outside of work or who don't work for your past employers any longer. Yes, some have 'rules' about only contacting via cell phone or home phone or email. And there's no rule that says an employer has to call every reference you provide. It could be anything and more than one thing. Relax. That they've called any references is a Very Good Thing.

I would never have someone call 'proactively' to give a reference for you. That would be a major faux pas. If an employer wants references, they get to decide from whom and when. If this person is so eager to offer a reference for you, why don't you take the opportunity to ask for a written letter of reference? Its something a lot of employers won't accept, but having a written letter can serve as a great introduction, and will always be a feather in your cap. If she's willing and eager, ask her to put her energies toward something that you can use now and in the future.

Generally employers only call references of their top choice. If the references are so bad the employer reconsiders and decides not to offer that person the job, or their top choice turns down the job, then they move on to the references of their second pick. But there's no rules for this either. Some employers have a policy of checking references for a small handful of candidates.

Take a few deep breaths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 10:26 PM
 
854 posts, read 3,339,723 times
Reputation: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
You're doing that thing, where you hyperanalyze every breath and blink the interviewer did. Stop that.

There could be any number of reasons why they didn't call. Maybe they ran out of time (had a meeting to go to, or another call came in they had to answer, or something pressing came up). Or maybe they just didn't feel they needed to call the third person after talking with the first two. Yes, some employers won't call people you know outside of work or who don't work for your past employers any longer. Yes, some have 'rules' about only contacting via cell phone or home phone or email. And there's no rule that says an employer has to call every reference you provide. It could be anything and more than one thing. Relax. That they've called any references is a Very Good Thing.

I would never have someone call 'proactively' to give a reference for you. That would be a major faux pas. If an employer wants references, they get to decide from whom and when. If this person is so eager to offer a reference for you, why don't you take the opportunity to ask for a written letter of reference? Its something a lot of employers won't accept, but having a written letter can serve as a great introduction, and will always be a feather in your cap. If she's willing and eager, ask her to put her energies toward something that you can use now and in the future.

Generally employers only call references of their top choice. If the references are so bad the employer reconsiders and decides not to offer that person the job, or their top choice turns down the job, then they move on to the references of their second pick. But there's no rules for this either. Some employers have a policy of checking references for a small handful of candidates.

Take a few deep breaths.
I am overthinking and under breathing....lol. I have been looking for a job for over a year, and this is the closest I've come so far.

Just to clarify, if the potential boss reached my other references, I would breath a little bit. However, he called them once and left a voice mail, then they called him once and left a voice mail, and that is it. They did not talk yet.

My prior boss offered to call for me. I did not ask her (or think of it!). It was nice of her to offer, however, you are probably right that it is not a good idea.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 10:27 PM
 
854 posts, read 3,339,723 times
Reputation: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Sounds like you're overthinking this. References are the last step if the HR Manager has a brain. Assuming you have a brain, and you didn't pick people who hate you as references, you'll be good.

I am overthinking, and I do have a brain, and hopefully you are right!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 10:28 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,742,240 times
Reputation: 16145
It is possible for more than one candidates references to be called. Perhaps if a search is narrowed down to two people they might check both before making a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 05:37 AM
 
854 posts, read 3,339,723 times
Reputation: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It is possible for more than one candidates references to be called. Perhaps if a search is narrowed down to two people they might check both before making a decision.
This is one of the things I was overthinking about.......I guess I will know pretty soon.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 12:26 AM
 
854 posts, read 3,339,723 times
Reputation: 652
OK, I know I am over thinking this again. .....

However, the potential employer has not called my references back again after they left him voice mails, and I have a horrible feeling something happened.

My horrible feeling is that he called someone that I did not list, and it did not go well (there is a person in my industry who would say bad things about me, and others for that matter as I have heard her, and it turns out they know eachother).

Hopefully I am wrong, however, I tend to have wierd hunches that unfortunately end up being correct pretty often!

Today I went out all day so I would not be waiting and waiting, however, it did not help much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 09:48 AM
 
4,805 posts, read 20,223,704 times
Reputation: 4971
Ask your references to try calling again. He may not want to play phone tag.

But there's nothing you can really do about an employer calling someone not on your list of references. If this is what happened, you can only put this job behind you and move on to the next one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 10:48 AM
 
854 posts, read 3,339,723 times
Reputation: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Ask your references to try calling again. He may not want to play phone tag.

But there's nothing you can really do about an employer calling someone not on your list of references. If this is what happened, you can only put this job behind you and move on to the next one.
Thanks Kodaka.

One of my references tried again this morning and left a good message. The other one was out sick, and will try again later today. My prior boss who offered to call on her own, may be doing that, not sure (if anyone can pull it off in a good way, it is her, so I did not talk her out if it or into it).

Do you think it would be risky on the potential employer's part to call references that were not provided, and then to skip the reference from the two people they left voice mails for? This does not seem like something an employer would do, and is the only thing giving me hope that they just might be very busy.

Thanks again. I felt such a good fit with this job and the people that it is hard to let it go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top