Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 04:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,504 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm sure I'm being completely naive, but I am having a hard time finding a new job. It's been 5 months, and I was terminated for the first time ever from my last position - for a mistake they made in calculating my adherence requirement. It has made me extremely nervous and I'm sure it really shows at my interviews. Anyway, I interviewed for a job I really wanted about 2 weeks ago, they had 8 positions to fill. At the time they told me they should know by Nov. 1st or 2nd. I didn't hear back by the 4th, so I sent an email to HR at the location I interviewed at. I didn't hear anything back until Friday Nov. 5th. I received a call from the company's corporate headquarters in Dallas. They left a message saying they understood I had contacted HR about my interview, and they were calling me back to update me on the selection process. I did call back but ended up having to leave a voicemail message.

Then, about an hour later, I received an email from the woman in the branch HR where I interviewed. It said "You should hear something from our recruiting department very soon. Thank you for taking the time to meet with our team."

Does this sound good? I'm thinking it's probably a no, as if they had wanted to hire me on, I probably would have heard from them by now. I may only be hearing from them because I sent the email.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 05:01 AM

323 posts, read 940,978 times
Give it some time John. You have to remember that the employer vs. employee time tables have an entirely different set of priorities and criteria. They have a lot to think about too. I would hold off on calling them again until Wed. or so. Be confident in your abilities and let the offer come to you. If you keep bugging them you'll sound a bit desperate.

The best opportunity I've faced yet since I got let go in April came up in early Oct. Things started off pretty fast and the recruiter sounded enthusiastic about my qualifications and fit for the job. Within 4 days they sent it to the dept head. Now I've been waiting ever since. I'm told they put the job on hold. Although I know that $85K in New York City is SOO MUCH BETTER then any opportunity I'll find in the Midwest, but I'm not about to bug them right now. I'm hopeful, but very skeptical until I get at least a phone interview. I'm committed to checking back every 7-10 days, but I don't want to make them mad. If it's meant to be, it will come to me.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:02 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnErick View Post
Hi. I'm sure I'm being completely naive, but I am having a hard time finding a new job. It's been 5 months, and I was terminated for the first time ever from my last position - for a mistake they made in calculating my adherence requirement. It has made me extremely nervous and I'm sure it really shows at my interviews. Anyway, I interviewed for a job I really wanted about 2 weeks ago, they had 8 positions to fill. At the time they told me they should know by Nov. 1st or 2nd. I didn't hear back by the 4th, so I sent an email to HR at the location I interviewed at. I didn't hear anything back until Friday Nov. 5th. I received a call from the company's corporate headquarters in Dallas. They left a message saying they understood I had contacted HR about my interview, and they were calling me back to update me on the selection process. I did call back but ended up having to leave a voicemail message.

Then, about an hour later, I received an email from the woman in the branch HR where I interviewed. It said "You should hear something from our recruiting department very soon. Thank you for taking the time to meet with our team."

Does this sound good? I'm thinking it's probably a no, as if they had wanted to hire me on, I probably would have heard from them by now. I may only be hearing from them because I sent the email.
I wouldn't say its bad news....if they had eliminated you they probably would have sent a rejection letter instead of wasting time playing phone tag. They probably haven't decided yet, its possible the position is on hold, or they are going to make you an offer. No way to know.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:38 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
They have your information so if they are interested they know how to getin touch with you. No need to follow up just focus on other opportunities

Old 11-06-2010, 10:59 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I would say it is better than hearing nothing at all. A lot of companies would have just ignored your message if they weren't interested in you.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Try and stay positive, it sounds like you're still in the running.

I believe if it was a "no" she would have stated that in the email.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search