Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:34 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,741 times

Advertisements

I haven't checked much, but what I have seen seems scam-like. The truth is that think that CL is a terrible avenue to find jobs, just a terrible percentage of legitimate positions.

Has anyone managed to find the trick to using CL to find jobs? The truth is I'm afraid to even give anyone on CL my email, fearing it'll get sold for spam.

I should add I'm looking at entry-level/new college graduate positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 12:36 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
We've hired several people from Craigslist ads, and I'm just about to place another. I think that if they seem too good to be true, they probably are. A legitimate company will also give their name.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:39 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,466 times
Some tips:
-use a throwaway email address
-apply to ads that have company info or at least a contact number, web site where you can verify if the company exists and where it's located. For ones without these details, it's either an agency or a scam
-remove your address from your resume: only include your name, email address and if you're feeling bold, your phone number

And yes there are legit offers, my company advertises there and I've gotten phone interviews too. However many are scams.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:41 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Wife got her last two jobs from craigslist, the most recent one is a great company with a great future, offered a signing bonus w/ stock, and was just bought out by a very large company and brought in house. It's easy to see the ones that are scams and which ones aren't.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:57 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,060 times
I found my current job posted on Craigslist. Also, my boss mentioned today that he will be advertising three more legit positions on CL here in Denver. You just have to critique each listing. If it looks suspicious (i.e. Do you want to make $100,000 /yr in your first year? Just send us all your personal info, credit card info, SSN, and you'll be one step closer!!!), it probably is a scam.

These days, I see just as many scam sales jobs on Monster, Careerbuilder, and Hot Jobs as I do on CL.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:15 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
I agree, a reputable company will provide their name, or at least enough details that if you know the industry, you'll be able to figure out who it is. And I see less of it on CL than I do on careerbuilder or monster.

The scams I've seen have mostly been in the admin and sales categories. I don't see them so much in biotech or engineering or those types of categories.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:19 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,811 times
I will check out CL again tonight. I haven't done so in probably a year. I've also assumed they are all bogus. I did apply for a position years ago and got a call the following day...I was surprised. I get kinda scared about emailing my resume on CL but I agree, you can tell which posts are bogus. Not sure why I stopped looking at CL, I use it alot and have found great success on there for selling and buying items.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:22 PM

244 posts, read 814,581 times
I too have had interviews as a result of applying to jobs on Craigslist. But I tend to avoid the ones with an email address that ends in gmail.com or yahoo.com or the ads without a company name.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:23 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,445 times
My wife got her job there, and I've had a couple of "close but no cigar" interviews from there too.

After a while you can get a pretty good sense of if it's a scam or not. One quick way is to check the craigslist for a different part of the country and see if the same ad is posted there. Many times you will see the same scam ads in numerous locations.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:58 PM

418 posts, read 1,381,971 times
Yes because I just got second interview for a job I really want off craigslist!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search