U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:01 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,324,027 times

Advertisements

That analogy works great. I'm crystal clear now! Thanks alot, and reps for everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 09:28 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,483,929 times
IMO, it's a composite of a few things.

Interview is one part, as well as resume. But, even though it's unethical and bad HRM practice, biases and prejudices can come into play, which is to some degree human nature. I remember in an organisational behaviour class at college learning about the Horn and Halo effects. These things can alter the perception we have people we first meet.

In the end though, the exact selection method depends on the nature of the job. Say a bank teller. S/he may take a psychometric test, for one to determine integrity and honesty (well you wouldn't want them stealing money from tills, would you?) A top management position may require selection at an assessment centre.

In HRM, this is what is called recruitment and selection, which basically the entire hiring process. Determining the need for a post, drawing up a job description, interviewing the person, and selecting and inducting the best candidate. By the way, I'm not an HR manager, I just study HRM at college.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:46 PM
NSX

866 posts, read 1,840,083 times
Unfortunately, a resume will only get you an interview in 99% of cases but will not help you after that.

The reason that I say "unfortunately" is because there are certain people who are extremely smart and hard working and will be able to do a job extremely well once they get started and into the groove at the job. However, many of these people are just not good interviewers and will get a little nervous and choke up which will destroy their chances.

On the flip side, there's tons of people who are great "salesmen" who are very smooth and collected and these will be the people who get the job. However, once they have to do real work and use critical thinking skills it will be obvious that they were full of it from the beginning.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:33 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,483,929 times
I don't see how you can not have an interview.

You would have no feel of the recruit's personality, no test of his/her skills, etc. And a person can easily lie/BS on their resume. This is, obviously, usually something to expect. Of course a person can lie/BS on an interview, but you would also get a feel of the person, first impressions, instincts/hunches about them, etc. that cannot be gauged from a resume alone.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:18 PM
NSX

866 posts, read 1,840,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I don't see how you can not have an interview.

You would have no feel of the recruit's personality, no test of his/her skills, etc. And a person can easily lie/BS on their resume. This is, obviously, usually something to expect. Of course a person can lie/BS on an interview, but you would also get a feel of the person, first impressions, instincts/hunches about them, etc. that cannot be gauged from a resume alone.
I definitely agree with you on the fact that an interview is necessary, I have no arguments with you there. You would want to see that the applicant is basically a nice guy who you co-workers are able to get along with and has the abilities to do the job. However, I'm saying is that I think too much weight is put on other aspects the interview itself and not on the candidate's qualifications.

Especially with this economy, many people will get very nervous during an interview, because the stakes are so high. The interview going well could mean the difference from having a good source of income if you get the job to not being able to pay your bills if you don't. I find it too bad that so many HR managers can't look beyond this and have a little compassion, and at least give the applicant more of a chance.

As far as resumes go, basic facts can be checked. Job titles and dates can be checked by a simple call to the previous employer. Degrees/Transcripts/GPAs etc can all easily be checked by a call or letter to to the University's Registrar and I think most applicants already know this and wouldn't have a reason to lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or