U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 04:57 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,318,610 times

Advertisements

Do you ever interview a candidate and are 99% sure you will hire them before even talking to them.

I'm just curious about the importance of a resume. Is it a tool to land you a great interview (as just about everyone says is the sole goal of resumes, which I think is BS). Or is it a tool to land you a job?

I know an interview can make or break you, but can a great resume make you stand out so much that as long as A) you didn't lie, and B) you don't blow the interview by saying something very stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 05:11 PM

28,441 posts, read 71,065,135 times
I am not an "HR Manager" but I have interviewed lots of people for all kinds of reasons and I do not think there was EVER anyone that I thought "we can hire off the resume alone".

Even for very technically demanding positions the information that comes across in a static way fails to paint much of a picture of how the person really does their job and how they'll interact with the rest of the organization. Those are overwhelming the most important points. Even in a "video conference" it is possible to get THOUSANDS OF TIMES more info about HOW the candidate thinks on their feet and reacts to the typical situations that they'll need to deal with in a way that no resume can convey.

Honestly even for VERY high level positions the PEOPLE skills of candidates are what makes the difference, and I have been with several organizations when no candidates with the right mix of personal qualities and technical qualifications can be found no permanent hire is made.

Resumes can "answer" only a very basic level of question -- what experiences has this person been exposed to, where are they from", but the interview allows the hiring decision to be made about "what are they capable of, how can they fit in with our existing personnel, what changes can be expected" -- any organization that does not interview in such a way is not going to be successful / effective...

Old 05-13-2010, 06:08 PM

861 posts, read 1,752,078 times
I agree. People skills make the difference!

YouTube - Office Space - People Skills.flv

Old 05-13-2010, 06:24 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,940,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I am not an "HR Manager" but I have interviewed lots of people for all kinds of reasons and I do not think there was EVER anyone that I thought "we can hire off the resume alone".

Even for very technically demanding positions the information that comes across in a static way fails to paint much of a picture of how the person really does their job and how they'll interact with the rest of the organization. Those are overwhelming the most important points. Even in a "video conference" it is possible to get THOUSANDS OF TIMES more info about HOW the candidate thinks on their feet and reacts to the typical situations that they'll need to deal with in a way that no resume can convey.

Honestly even for VERY high level positions the PEOPLE skills of candidates are what makes the difference, and I have been with several organizations when no candidates with the right mix of personal qualities and technical qualifications can be found no permanent hire is made.

Resumes can "answer" only a very basic level of question -- what experiences has this person been exposed to, where are they from", but the interview allows the hiring decision to be made about "what are they capable of, how can they fit in with our existing personnel, what changes can be expected" -- any organization that does not interview in such a way is not going to be successful / effective...
I completely agree...It's the complete opposite from what the OP is saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
you don't blow the interview by saying something very stupid.
Your own words...What's "something very stupid"? There isn't an one size fits all answer. Generally the HR dept wants to get it down to interviewing 3 candidates.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I completely agree...It's the complete opposite from what the OP is saying...

I wasn't saying anything, I was asking a question.

Quote:
I agree. People skills make the difference!
I was thinking about that clip too!

So I guess my question becomes to what extent is a resume important? Is it simply a tool to get a interview, and a few points that might get discussed during the interview?

I would imagine that a good interview could negate a mediocre resume, and a terrible interview would obviously negate an amazing resume.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:56 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,969,217 times
Quote:
Do you ever interview a candidate and are 99% sure you will hire them before even talking to them.

I'm just curious about the importance of a resume. Is it a tool to land you a great interview (as just about everyone says is the sole goal of resumes, which I think is BS). Or is it a tool to land you a job?

I know an interview can make or break you, but can a great resume make you stand out so much that as long as A) you didn't lie, and B) you don't blow the interview by saying something very stupid.
No-- good on paper means nothing about how you will work.

I like to ask very specific questions during interviews. I like to discuss problems and have someone work through them-- try to figure out how do they analyze something, how do they think, etc.

A resume is to me nothing more than just a piece of paper with only your positive things-- i.e. it is like a dating profile it pretty much means nothing to me.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:28 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,770,900 times
I'm not in HR, but I do interview people. I think it would be insane to think you were going to hire someone from their resume.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:35 PM

I wasn't getting at that. I don't think that any HR manager would hire an employee without any interview, I was just curious as to if any was just VERY inclined to one candidate before interviewing, or are all candidates 100% equal at the start of interviews?

Old 05-14-2010, 06:14 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,940,995 times
Quote:
I wasn't getting at that. I don't think that any HR manager would hire an employee without any interview, I was just curious as to if any was just VERY inclined to one candidate before interviewing, or are all candidates 100% equal at the start of interviews?
Perhaps this analogy would be a better example.

One wants a new wife or husband and goes on an online meeting site. Find a profile (resume) has a date (interview) and then maybe goes on to marriage (lands the job)

Old 05-14-2010, 08:36 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,244,079 times
Anyone with a decent amount of experience can look good on paper. I'm not in HR, but have been a hiring manager a few times and for me, a resume is what gets you in the door. It is your first impression. A resume is like "smiling at a girl from across the room." If you have a nice smile, the girl will smile back at you, which allows you to strike up a conversation.

Having a good, presented resume can be the difference of getting a call for a interview or not. I've liked how some candidates looked on their resume, but would never "hire" or lean one way or not based solely on their resume.

Btw, not sure if my analogy works, but eh wells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or