U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 05:39 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,666,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Are you quite okay there? Reading that makes me wonder about your frame of mind.

What about a custody issue is sordid? do you even KNOW the meaning of the word?

Shakes head in amazement.
Kodaka is right - the less said about your personal life - the better. An interview should be strictly work related.

Really it's never good to let the workplace in on much of your personal life no matter how significant or insignificant. And the more they want to know, the more you'd better be mindful of that.

The last thing a new employee needs is to have personal life discussed at all and you never know what could get out to other employees and have them discussing your situation before even meeting you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 06:27 PM

418 posts, read 1,205,148 times
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I just not going to say anything, which I started doing anyways but a few friends and relatives told me not to lie so I just wanted some more advice.
I'll just take it as it comes. If they won't let me off for something like this maybe they are not a company I want to work for anyways. Its not as if I am spending the week partying in Vegas or the Bahamas. Its serious stuff which I hope anyone would understand.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:11 PM

305 posts, read 906,123 times
A potential employer should never ask you about personal issues on an interview so if you dont mention it, it wouldnt be lieing.

I have heard of an employer offerring a job and asking if you have anything in the near future that would prevent you from starting at a certain time frame.

If you start now most probationary periods last 90 days so that would be July August and Sept talk to the attorney and see if he could plan trial around this, most courts may allow it if you could show that your job is a means of financial security that will benefit the child.

Most employers will not go through the expense of hiring and training a new employer to let them go because of a court case. They may rather not deal with the issue and tell you up front they cant knowingly wait a week off, but try and come in late or work late before the trial get all your open projects out the way, and when the time comes explain to your boss you have been supenoa to court you will give your testimony and get back to the office asap.

I think with a new employer everybody including you S.O. will understand that you really need to separate your personal life from your professional life -Good Luck

Old 05-19-2010, 08:03 AM

47,573 posts, read 60,666,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I just not going to say anything, which I started doing anyways but a few friends and relatives told me not to lie so I just wanted some more advice.
I'll just take it as it comes. If they won't let me off for something like this maybe they are not a company I want to work for anyways. Its not as if I am spending the week partying in Vegas or the Bahamas. Its serious stuff which I hope anyone would understand.
The most you should offer is that you have a previously made committment for this particular day. Just to help with scheduling -- but that depends on the kind of work. You don't ever have to lie but this kind of thing gets into the "don't ask don't tell", you should not disclose why you need this day off, only that you do need it off - but if it's far enough into the future, you don't need to bring it up, but you could ask later in the interview how days off are arranged.

Never assume coworkers and supervisors are very understanding about any personal problems or situations. Especially the coworkers -- they're more inclined to look for Achilles tendons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or