U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 10:00 AM

5 posts, read 45,891 times

Advertisements

I suck at job interviews, and I cannot even think of a good answer to a simple question that is very important, Tell Me about Yourself. Please leave some good samples, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 10:05 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,332,595 times
My suggestion is despite what the question implies, do not give away too much personal information about yourself. Start with some basic information, like this:

"I am a [job title] at [company]. I graduated from [blah] [blah] years ago. I majored in [blah]. [Enter in some other fluff]"

Then gradually move on to more personal things. Maybe mention clubs you were in during college if applicable. Maybe mention professional or personal organizations you are a part of if you feel comfortable enough doing so. Maybe mention sports you enjoy playing if applicable. Just try to keep it more superficial than personal if you can. I just wouldn't start going into long tangents about your own personality or just other things that employers really have no business knowing about. That's just how I would tackle it. Others may disagree with me. I have a feeling there is really no best answer to this question except to be sure to be honest with whatever you say.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:04 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,353,052 times
What's so hard about that question? You start from the first job on your resume and work your way up to the most recent job and give more details than what's on the resume.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:40 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,632,643 times
This isn't that simple of a question.

You don't want to drone on forever and recite your resume verbatim as if they are too stupid to read it themselves. You don't want to give out too much personal information, but yet you want to show that you have a personality.

You should write it down and memorize it. It doesn't have to be word for word, but you should ahve a 30-45 second statement "about yourself" that shows both your education/job experience and enough select information about yourself to make them interested in actually asking more questions.

I'd avoid anything that references your age (unless you are obviously a recent grad), the fact taht you have children, anything to do with politics or religion (unless of course the job is with a lobbying group of religious organization).

Something like this is a good start:

"After graduating from ABC College with honors in marketing communications, I worked at a summer internship with Pierce, Blake, and Hunnicutt, Inc. At the end of the internship I was given the opportunity to travel to France and work on a farm for three months, which allowed me to fine tune my French language skills and learn about other cultures--it was at times eye-opening!

When I returned, I was hired by Green, Geller, and Buffay as an assistant to Mr. Bing, and I've been there for two years, and have learned a lot, however now I'm looking for a new challenge.

I have always loved baking, so a year ago I enrolled in an evening pastry class. I've decided that I would like to blend my culinary knowledge with my education and job experience and that's why I'd like to work here at Betty Crocker in your marketing department and think that I have a unique skill set to bring to your team."

Old 05-23-2010, 03:51 PM

11,682 posts, read 14,443,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
What's so hard about that question? You start from the first job on your resume and work your way up to the most recent job and give more details than what's on the resume.
They aren't asking for job history, TVSG. They can look at your resume for that.

Talk about the field you work in, what you enjoy, where you went to school, where you are currently employed (if applicable), what you would like to do, and wrap it up with why you think you are right for the job at hand.

No boring details. They'll ask for those if they want them.

I also think this is a tricky way for employers to find out about family status. Although it is illegal to ask about children, etc, this is an easy way around that. Just beware.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:02 PM

887 posts, read 1,377,813 times

YouTube - I am SANCHO...

Old 05-23-2010, 04:23 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,878,294 times
The first thing I say is that I am native to this city and then I name the high school and college I went to. Sometimes I can connect with the interviewer on one of those 3 things and we have a nice little conversation and sometimes we get so sidetracked I don't say anything else in response to the question. If I need to go on I mention personality traits (as personality is one of my strengths) - "I'm easy going, flexible, glass half full type person. I'm easily managed, easy to get along with." And that's about it.

I have to say having just gone through 6 interviews, this question was the 1st question in every single interview, so be ready for it!

Generally speaking, treat interviews like a conversation.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 1,927,055 times
Heres an example: - mine..
After getting divorced I went back to college to get a degree in Computer Science. After I received my degree I was offered a job in x. i had to break off a 3 year relationship to move but I knew this was the best thing for me.. After being in x for some time I realized I absolutely hated it because I'm not a partier and a night life person so when I was offered the job in this state I packed my bags and here I am today.

this tells the interviewee something about me and puts that "oomph" into the fact that I am a self-starter and go-getter due to the fact I'm willing to take the chance to make a better life/decision based on circumstances... (in my field you really really have to be a self-starter, go-getter, figure it out on your own).

another example: Made up:
On the weekends I'm an arobics instructer at x gym. I love to teach others how to better themselves physically and its a great stress reliever for me as well. (self-starter, team lead type, handles stress, has something outside of work)

Another example: Made up:
i have a passion for helping animals so volunteer at xyz shelter on weekends by helping organize community events and putting together their newsletter. (leadership, organizational skills, self-starter attributes)

When an interviewee asks about "you' its a subtle way of finding out what type of person you are and how you'll fit into their environment. They also look to see if your interests are similar to those you may be working with to help form a more co-hesive team - that gets a long and has common interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or