U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:16 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,231,994 times

Advertisements

I agree, unless you were running laps, the breathlessness was probably due more to nerves.

It might help in the future to keep a notepad and a pen on hand. It will keep you more focused on what the interviewer is saying, and you can make notes about your answer to keep you on point, and in your seat, while you answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 06:02 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,330,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I agree, unless you were running laps, the breathlessness was probably due more to nerves.

It might help in the future to keep a notepad and a pen on hand. It will keep you more focused on what the interviewer is saying, and you can make notes about your answer to keep you on point, and in your seat, while you answer.
Good point. I'll definitely do that next time. Just write it down even though I heard it. At least it will keep me focused better.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:08 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Anytime I'm on the phone, be it an important business call or a job interview I keep a notepad and pen next to me and doodle on it to release any energy or nervousness. It allows me to really concentrate on the call.

Hopefully they'll think you were jsut nervous and call you in for a second interview. Good luck!

Old 05-25-2010, 07:32 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,317,747 times
I know the feeling. I interviewed with a great company in Joplin, MO who said they'd do all the interviews by phone if I wanted, plus they'd relocate me. It seemed too good to be true, and it got better, they said I was the only candidate! I thought I was a shoo-in.

Then I rambled, stuttered, and came across as a general idiot. I actually wanted to call and apologize for giving such a terrible interview.

Every has to blow an interview every now and again, just remember that it's a closed door and there is something better for you out there. You know you did badly, and you can improve -- Just know that the job wasn't for you or else you would have been given the strength and wisdom to do better than you did... At least that's what I think.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:39 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,758,217 times
Phone interviews are notoriously tough for both the interviewer and prospective employee. You can't see body language, non-verbal clues, or know when to be quiet and when to talk based on that.

I am a BIG believer in what is going to be will be. There are numerous stories of people who got jobs because of a chance call or meeting or what have you. If it comes too hard, it is not meant to be. Even people who FLUBBED up interviews can tell you stories of how they 'got the job.'

Try to think what you did wrong this time and maybe you can amend it for the next time. Can you shoot off an email to the person who interviewed you and say 'thanks for the opportunity'?

Good luck.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:14 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,317,747 times
Kind of funny about this thread, I just got called and had a pre-screen interview (pretty in-depth for a pre-screen) and I think it went far better. Even though I feel like it would rank in my bottom 10% of interviews it was lightyears ahead of my other which was pathetic.

Funny the way that worked.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:56 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,293,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I can sympathize with your experience. I once messed up a phone interview myself mostly because I got thrown off guard about it being a panel interview (multiple people taking turns asking me questions). Thank God they could not see me on a screen.
That happened to me too. I was thinking the lady was only calling to schedule the interview not interview me on the phone which lead to no face to face interview-lol

Old 05-25-2010, 06:03 PM

470 posts, read 997,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post

Been feeling like that all day ... and crappy too. What a crappy phone interview that was. I was nervous and fumbling around my words too much. Started talking too much at one point too. It was just truly awful and embarrassing. The worst part is that I had prepared everything on the desk including my resume and job description. At one point, I don't why, but I started getting up and walking around while talking to the guy and I started to get winded which further ****ed it all up. So tip to all: don't walk around during a phone interview. Chain yourself to the seat if you have to, lol. I have this horrible habit of getting up out of my chair and walking around while I talk to people on the phone.

I hate being an introvert and not a people person. FML.
"Failing" (and you don't know that you have failed) a phone interview is no big deal.
You'll have other opportunities and you seem to know the areas that you need to improve upon...so you should do well the next time.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or