U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:35 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,331,012 times

Advertisements

Been feeling like that all day ... and crappy too. What a crappy phone interview that was. I was nervous and fumbling around my words too much. Started talking too much at one point too. It was just truly awful and embarrassing. The worst part is that I had prepared everything on the desk including my resume and job description. At one point, I don't why, but I started getting up and walking around while talking to the guy and I started to get winded which further ****ed it all up. So tip to all: don't walk around during a phone interview. Chain yourself to the seat if you have to, lol. I have this horrible habit of getting up out of my chair and walking around while I talk to people on the phone.

I hate being an introvert and not a people person. FML.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 06:44 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post

Been feeling like that all day ... and crappy too. What a crappy phone interview that was. I was nervous and fumbling around my words too much. Started talking too much at one point too. It was just truly awful and embarrassing. The worst part is that I had prepared everything on the desk including my resume and job description. At one point, I don't why, but I started getting up and walking around while talking to the guy and I started to get winded which further ****ed it all up. So tip to all: don't walk around during a phone interview. Chain yourself to the seat if you have to, lol. I have this horrible habit of getting up out of my chair and walking around while I talk to people on the phone.

I remember reading that you should stand up during a phone interview instead of sitting down. Not walking around but just standing in one spot.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:57 PM

Yeah I know, but I know as soon as I stand up I want to start pacing around. Maybe I could stand up and chain myself that way instead.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:18 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,782,292 times
Were you running laps?

Old 05-24-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Were you running laps?
No but I was just pacing around a lot for the entire 30 minute interview.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:25 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Quote:
No but I was just pacing around a lot for the entire 30 minute interview.

Moving around showed that you were not focused on the phone interview

Old 05-24-2010, 08:37 PM

207 posts, read 591,720 times
How much coffee did you drink? Next time try eating a breakfast of just fruits and doing some meditation or visualization techniques. (Visualize yourself giving a shining phone interview).

Old 05-24-2010, 08:40 PM

677 posts, read 1,439,947 times
Don't stress over it If nothing else, you learned what you need to improve on so you'll be better prepared next time.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:45 PM

38,877 posts, read 20,171,745 times
Quote:

I can sympathize with your experience. I once messed up a phone interview myself mostly because I got thrown off guard about it being a panel interview (multiple people taking turns asking me questions). Thank God they could not see me on a screen.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,782,292 times
I often walk around when talking on the phone. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that. If it is to the point though that you are getting winded it sounds more like a nervous reaction than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or