Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 04:23 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,550,724 times

Advertisements

Three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 04:32 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,712,129 times
Quote:
for this company, i am still currently "still in the running" but i'm sure they understand that the longer a candidate is strung along for the ride, the higher the probability that they may be looking elsewhere or toward the stages of getting an offer from a different company.
Could go either way. Most people apply for more than one job at a time, if you are taking time away from others in order to focus on this, you have invested a lot more in the process and are thus more likely to accept... Annoying, but that's the way of the world.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:34 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,925,162 times
3 at the most....and they were scheduled out MONTHS apart. Ridiculous. LOL. But I ended up getting the position anyway.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:24 PM

228 posts, read 663,556 times
I just had two very indepth experiences with two companies who were neck and neck for my services- same job, two VERY different companies and products.

I had initial phone screen with each firm, then hiring manager phone screen, then the in-person rounds- 6 one on one interviews at each lasting a half hour to an hour. In the course of a week I had to sell myself/experience and explain the same crap over and over again to something like 12 people. It was so exhausting (also involved travel) that I had to call a third company and withdraw from their process before getting into their initial phone screens. Thankfully I did get an offer at the perfered company and they moved very quickly from that point.

My aunt is an HR director and she couldnt believe it when I was going over the itinerary for one of the companies. She said they didnt even put their last CFO candidate through that much!

Old 05-30-2010, 09:16 AM

470 posts, read 1,152,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Because they were probably interested in a couple of people and one was just slightly better than you.

We jsut hired someone and paid for travel expenses for the two finalists for an in-person interview. We knew we'd only be hiring one of them, but up until the point of the in-person interview we really weren't sure which would be the successful candidate. If the person who wasn't successful feels like it was a waste of their time, so be it. Life isn't always fair.
Actually...NO.
While there are people that ARE better than me (More than a few) the position was again posted on Monster about six months AFTER they rejected me.

So,clearly, they made a poor hiring decision by choosing an inadequate candidate or they chose one that simply used their position as a "temp job" until he (or she) got the real job they wanted.

Never said that life wasn't fair. I just believe that most interviews are so flawed and most people are so poorly-trained at performing them that it's a wonder to me how good candidates are chosen.

PS: I got another job and used the $325 to buy Cubs tickets and stay overnight in Chicago. Thanks guys!! LOL

Old 05-30-2010, 11:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,896,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
Actually...NO.
While there are people that ARE better than me (More than a few) the position was again posted on Monster about six months AFTER they rejected me.

So,clearly, they made a poor hiring decision by choosing an inadequate candidate or they chose one that simply used their position as a "temp job" until he (or she) got the real job they wanted.

Never said that life wasn't fair. I just believe that most interviews are so flawed and most people are so poorly-trained at performing them that it's a wonder to me how good candidates are chosen.

PS: I got another job and used the $325 to buy Cubs tickets and stay overnight in Chicago. Thanks guys!! LOL
You don't know why the person they selected left, you are only assuming. I left a position after six months once because my husband was unexpectedly offered a great job in another state and we decided to go. I left another after six months because a job that I had wanted for a long time came open very unexpectedly and when it was offered I took it. I had taken both of those jobs with the intention of staying there for the long term (at least 3-5 years, perhaps longer) but unexpected opportunities arose and I left. It happens.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:05 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,366,587 times
I'd have to agree with the interviews are bull crap. One has to consider what they are selecting for. If it for a sales job then interview is probably helpful as they tend to favor the best smooth talking BSer.

If you are selecting for a technical position then the typical psychobabble/amateur psychological profiling probably is counterproductive. The best smooth talking BSer will shockingly not be the best scientist.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:56 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,015,120 times
Four. Totaled over 11 hours over a 6-week period, in the snow, for a top accounting firm. This was in relative good times. What really got me was that it was the same people over and over. I can understand meeting some new people, but that stopped at the 2nd interview. I got tired of the same converstations. Kept trying to update and freshen them up to sound better.

Didn't get the job.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:19 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,366,587 times
Three. It was a small podunk company and on the third interview they sprung on my that they would only pay $17 an hour and I was livid.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:44 PM

311 posts, read 692,783 times
Could not agree more MSchemist80.Idiotic questions like ,whats your weakness and where do you see yourself in five years need to vanish from this universe forever.I have always wondered why moronic HR people feel the best person for a low level factory job is the person who lies the best and strokes their wanna be phycologist egos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search