U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:04 AM

299 posts, read 808,670 times

Advertisements

Last week, a friend of mine told me that the company she worked for (a sporting goods store) was looking to hire a couple of people. I walked in to the store and asked for an application, but the person handed me a card and said that they do all of their applications online. The card directed me to www.xxxxxxxx.com/careers.

I filled out the application, spent 30 minutes the 100-question assessment and then submitted it. A couple days later, my friend called me and said that her boss looked through the system, but my application was nowhere to be found. I re-submitted the application, made sure that I applied at the right store and made sure that all of the information was correct, but the next day, my friend called again and said that the app still wasn't in the system. I got confirmation e-mails both times I submitted them as well.

I got ahold of the hiring manager personally and asked if there was any way that I could fill out a paper application, and she said "I wish you could because its a lot easier for me to just look at a piece of paper, but the company policy is that all applicants have to submit their information online." GUHHH! I just submitted the app for the 3rd time, but if I don't get a phone call, I'll just assume that it wasn't meant to be.

I've submitted dozens of online applications in the last 6 months, and I've only gotten one phone call. I'm confident that I'm filling everything out the right way because I always get a confirmation email, but I also feel like I'm wasting my time. The 100-plus question assessments that you are REQUIRED to fill out prior to submitting your application are a complete waste of time, and IMO, a slap in the face for job seekers.

Why won't these companies just make it easier on job-seekers and let us fill out a piece of paper, like the old days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 12:05 PM

3,365 posts, read 9,882,561 times
Because you have to prove how bad you want the job.

Seriously. My husband did some hiring and if you make it easy, you will get 1000s of resumes of people not even in the field, who don't meet the requirements, who are employed and not seriously looking for a job but just want to see if they get offers for an ego boost and cuz they are bored, and you get spam. So- if they make it hard for you, only those who are serious will apply, and they don't waste time reading non-sequitor resumes or calling people who don't really want the job.

Honestly.... that's a really big part of why it's such a pain. Too many people put in a search on Monster or some related site, and just apply for 400 jobs in an hour, that they dont' really even want. Sometimes people don't even read the job description, they just click "apply...apply...apply...apply..." So now, the burden is back on the job seeker.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:17 PM

201 posts, read 381,952 times
Because companies are getting used to dealing with chineese slave laborers that will kill each other over a 50 cent and hour job. Companies are getting used to being able to put people in an octagon and have them fight over a piece of rice.

I have never heard of anyone I know applying for jobs when they already had a good job just for fun, unless they genuinly wanted to see if they could make more money. I can think of a lot of other things I could do for fun if I am not worried about my job like having sex, playing video games, going for a drive. I can see unemployed people just applying for anything and everything if they are desperate and you really cant blame them.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:26 PM

7,338 posts, read 16,634,853 times
You'll NEVER, EVER see the "old days" again.........unfortunately! I have found a job advertised on one website, then went to the company (who advertised the job) website and the job wasn't there! Companies sure can make it hard for the unemployed people! At least when I went to the company and filled out an app or gave them my resume, I knew they got it. Today, who knows who picks the resume up from a fax (or if it even went thru) or if they even get it in an e-mail (if it went thru that way)??? This whole "job search" thing is/can be very frustrating, but.........gotta keep looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
Last week, a friend of mine told me that the company she worked for (a sporting goods store) was looking to hire a couple of people. I walked in to the store and asked for an application, but the person handed me a card and said that they do all of their applications online. The card directed me to www.xxxxxxxx.com/careers.

I filled out the application, spent 30 minutes the 100-question assessment and then submitted it. A couple days later, my friend called me and said that her boss looked through the system, but my application was nowhere to be found. I re-submitted the application, made sure that I applied at the right store and made sure that all of the information was correct, but the next day, my friend called again and said that the app still wasn't in the system. I got confirmation e-mails both times I submitted them as well.

I got ahold of the hiring manager personally and asked if there was any way that I could fill out a paper application, and she said "I wish you could because its a lot easier for me to just look at a piece of paper, but the company policy is that all applicants have to submit their information online." GUHHH! I just submitted the app for the 3rd time, but if I don't get a phone call, I'll just assume that it wasn't meant to be.

I've submitted dozens of online applications in the last 6 months, and I've only gotten one phone call. I'm confident that I'm filling everything out the right way because I always get a confirmation email, but I also feel like I'm wasting my time. The 100-plus question assessments that you are REQUIRED to fill out prior to submitting your application are a complete waste of time, and IMO, a slap in the face for job seekers.

Why won't these companies just make it easier on job-seekers and let us fill out a piece of paper, like the old days?

Old 05-13-2011, 04:55 AM

3 posts, read 7,460 times
Partly due to the economic situation in this country it is definatly an employers market. Companys are receiving hundreds of job applications online. The chance of you being contacted would be about the same as hitting the lottery ( none )

Old 05-13-2011, 06:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,764 posts, read 54,390,602 times
We accept applications only online at our website. We do sometimes use careerbuilders or other sites to advertise openings, and there have been times when we pulled the announcement but one of the other sites did not.
Unfortunate but it happens.

I don't know what is happening with the OP unless the questions he answered are eliminating him immediately.

When I get 100+ applications for one opening, we (me and the person I work with in HR) do read every one, but it's easy to screen out the unqualified "mass resume" people.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:45 AM

9,738 posts, read 8,056,175 times
Quote:

By law, employers must retain all job applications for a couple of years. Storing them online is cheaper than trying to maintain a stack of paper that might get "misplaced" when audited by the EEOC.

If the govt auditor stops by and wants to see the application for "candidate x", it is easier to pull it up in a computer database than digging through a mountain of applications.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:34 AM

8,791 posts, read 13,277,872 times
With large corporations especially their online applications are mainly a waste of time. The person hiring often winds up just hiring a buddy because if the guy is a dolt it doesn't hurt him too much. If you are a small business owner and hire a dolt it directly eats at your pocket book.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:56 AM

2,632 posts, read 5,905,594 times
Quote:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...s-useless.html

Old 05-20-2011, 12:28 PM

87 posts, read 198,831 times
I'm guessing the assessment you filled out had answer choices like:

Strongly Disagree
Disagree
Neutral
Agree
Strongly Agree

The way I understand it, you have to score a certain number of points on that test. Selecting Agree, Neutral and Disagree give you less points per answer than selecting Strongly Disagree and Strongly Agree.

If you don't get enough total points, your application is not forwarded to whoever would normally receive it. Basically, it's a quick way to reduce the number of applications actually received.

This is how I've heard it works. I don't know for certain if this is the way it truly is, but it does make some sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search