U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:55 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,267,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I'm in this situation RIGHT NOW. I've had two interviews for a position, and after my second one they said they wanted me to meet the person I'd be directly working under. The HR manager didn't call it an interview, just to 'meet who you'd be working with'. I was also shown around the place, but that could have been a standard thing for all the short-listed candidates. I have no idea where I stand right now, and I'm afraid to ask.

Thing is, I JUST got a job offer yesterday from another company, but the job benefits and pay is like 60% less. Between the two, I'm 1000% more interested in the one described above, not only in terms of pay but also it's a position of responsibility and the growth prospects are FAR greater. The job offer I got is a pretty meh job, with not much flexibility. But they want me to start next Wednesday, and my 'meeting' for the better job is Thursday. The 'meh' job( for lack of a better term) wants an answer by Monday.

So my dilemma is obvious. Should I contact the first job and inquire about my status? Should I tell them that I have another job offer, but I am infinitely more interested in what THEY'RE offering? I actually don't recall ever being in this position before. I'd hate to blow off the job I have an offer for, for another job which is much better but hasn't exactly said where I stand after 2 interviews and an upcoming meeting with my immediate line manager. What to do, what to do....

No do what I did last year, prepare to start the job that is not your number choice and if something changes just leave that job and start the one you wanted all along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 10:59 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Thank you for your response.

Honestly, I don't really know what this meeting is, other than at the end of my 2nd interview, the HR manager told me they'd like me to meet and speak with the individual I'd be working under. Essentially I'd be an understudy and assistant for a period of years until that person retired, at which point it is assumed I would take over their position.

The problem is I'm not sure where I stand. Does meeting my prospective immediate boss mean the job is unofficially mine, or is this 'meeting' taking place with other candidates? Am I the only person to have this '3rd' meeting/interview? Impossible to know at this point.

I was considering what you recommend. Which is, to politely inform my 'preferred' company that I have a job offer, but that my 100% preference is to work for them. Perhaps I should say "I have a job offer from another company, but would prefer to work for your organization. I am just inquiring as to my status as this point." or words to that effect, buttered up with a cherry on top. I understand about crossing the line between being an outright nuisance and expressing interest, but certainly companies must know that people are applying to a myriad of jobs, and that it's not unreasonable for one to know where they stand, particularly after 2 interviews and a 3rd meeting scheduled.

My fear is eliminating myself from the equation by inquiring. I don't want to put any 'pressure' on the company, but worst case scenario is the company that offered me a job moves on, and the preferred company doesn't hire me in the end. Then I'm screwed both ways. I don't want to take the 'meh' job, and then leave in a matter of weeks if something better comes along. And rest assured, the company isn't really offering much, and I would be constantly looking for something else.

I just applied to some jobs yesterday as a backup in any event.

I would follow up on the job you want by email while I accept the other offer and look for other jobs.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:25 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,877,543 times
Just following up this thread, to say I GOT THE POSITION I WANTED!! Formal offer letter is on the way, and I'm due I believe to start in 3 weeks!! Very excited!!!

Old 06-04-2010, 05:56 AM
FBJ

My advice to anyone who is currently going on interviews.

Be thankful for the opportunity to get to interview whether it's 2 or 3 interviews but try and keep it on the hush because you don't want to get too excited about interviews. I think it's better to go on 2 or 3 interviews and post once you get the job instead of saying you have another interview next week. I didn't want to do that when I had 3 interviews because I didn't want to set myself up for disappointment so It was better that no one knew I was going on interviews.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:16 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Quote:
Just following up this thread, to say I GOT THE POSITION I WANTED!! Formal offer letter is on the way, and I'm due I believe to start in 3 weeks!! Very excited!!!
Congratulations!

Old 06-04-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Congratulations!
Thank you very much!!

Old 06-04-2010, 10:04 AM

551 posts, read 1,193,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1977 View Post
just following up this thread, to say i got the position i wanted!! Formal offer letter is on the way, and i'm due i believe to start in 3 weeks!! Very excited!!!
congrats!

Old 06-04-2010, 12:42 PM

244 posts, read 746,329 times
Quote:
Yeah!!!! Congratulations. Enjoy your new job!

Old 06-04-2010, 01:41 PM

Many thanks to all!

Old 06-05-2010, 08:58 AM

48 posts, read 139,034 times
Congrats! Always great to hear about someone getting a job they really want and are genuinely excited about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or