U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 03:09 PM

418 posts, read 1,203,861 times

Advertisements

I had a third interview for a job today thinking this would be it and they would make a decsion. But I got "Thank for the interview and I am sure will be in touch with you." I think that's good but I have never been through this many interviews with no answer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 03:12 PM

9,906 posts, read 11,923,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
I had a third interview for a job today thinking this would be it and they would make a decsion. But I got "Thank for the interview and I am sure will be in touch with you." I think that's good but I have never been through this many interviews with no answer.
In my experience the second interview to the third they are making you an offer or they give some vague statement like the one you got ...if they are not interested .

Old 05-28-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
In my experience the second interview to the third they are making you an offer or they give some vague statement like the one you got ...if they are not interested .
Kind of annoyed if they put me thru all this and aren't even interested.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:33 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,316,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Not necessarily. They likely only have one interview left in which an offer will be given. I'd say your chances are even, don't know the situation well enough to make a better judgment, no one does except you are a few at that company.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:08 PM

274 posts, read 909,335 times
yeah, i'm in the same boat. just had a phone interview as a "second interview" since i've already been on site previously for a different position and got the same response as "we'll be in touch". i've been told that sometimes companies string you along in case there are 2-3 good and solid candidates, in their eyes.

that's because in case an offer is extended to the first candidate and they fail to accept it, it's given to the next most qualified candidate and so on. or it could just be that they're being very picky and one of the interviewers had an issue of some sort with you for some reason that's delaying the process.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:13 PM

Another thing I was thinking is everyone that has interviewed me so far is not HR. The first two were the head of the team I'd be working with, the second was the director of the site I'd be working for and the last was the director of the department for the whole company. The lady that will be calling be back is the HR department head that has set up all the interviews. Maybe only HR can extend the job offer.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
Another thing I was thinking is everyone that has interviewed me so far is not HR. The first two were the head of the team I'd be working with, the second was the director of the site I'd be working for and the last was the director of the department for the whole company. The lady that will be calling be back is the HR department head that has set up all the interviews. Maybe only HR can extend the job offer.
essentially the "hiring manager" ultimately is the person who dictates to HR whether they want to bring a candidate on board or not. and that person could be a director, a person you'll be reporting to, or a person that is directly in charge of an entire division that you would be working out of. they're the decision maker. the other people you've interviewed with usually would be managers, top execs, etc. and typically there needs to be a green light from all of them before the hiring manager can say "yes, let's hire this person."

HR is just merely the middleman department that facilitates finding qualified candidates, setting up interviews with the appropriate folk and obviously extending offers. they really have no impact on the decision (aside from just relaying a message to candidates) and only take feedback from the interviewers, while doing a candidate "rack and stack" based on this feedback. however, irritate HR enough by repeated and frequent follow-up phone calls and/or emails, you can probably guarantee you'd be out of the running pretty quick.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:03 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,428 times
I'm in this situation RIGHT NOW. I've had two interviews for a position, and after my second one they said they wanted me to meet the person I'd be directly working under. The HR manager didn't call it an interview, just to 'meet who you'd be working with'. I was also shown around the place, but that could have been a standard thing for all the short-listed candidates. I have no idea where I stand right now, and I'm afraid to ask.

Thing is, I JUST got a job offer yesterday from another company, but the job benefits and pay is like 60% less. Between the two, I'm 1000% more interested in the one described above, not only in terms of pay but also it's a position of responsibility and the growth prospects are FAR greater. The job offer I got is a pretty meh job, with not much flexibility. But they want me to start next Wednesday, and my 'meeting' for the better job is Thursday. The 'meh' job( for lack of a better term) wants an answer by Monday.

So my dilemma is obvious. Should I contact the first job and inquire about my status? Should I tell them that I have another job offer, but I am infinitely more interested in what THEY'RE offering? I actually don't recall ever being in this position before. I'd hate to blow off the job I have an offer for, for another job which is much better but hasn't exactly said where I stand after 2 interviews and an upcoming meeting with my immediate line manager. What to do, what to do....

Old 05-29-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I'm in this situation RIGHT NOW. I've had two interviews for a position, and after my second one they said they wanted me to meet the person I'd be directly working under. The HR manager didn't call it an interview, just to 'meet who you'd be working with'. I was also shown around the place, but that could have been a standard thing for all the short-listed candidates. I have no idea where I stand right now, and I'm afraid to ask.

Thing is, I JUST got a job offer yesterday from another company, but the job benefits and pay is like 60% less. Between the two, I'm 1000% more interested in the one described above, not only in terms of pay but also it's a position of responsibility and the growth prospects are FAR greater. The job offer I got is a pretty meh job, with not much flexibility. But they want me to start next Wednesday, and my 'meeting' for the better job is Thursday. The 'meh' job( for lack of a better term) wants an answer by Monday.

So my dilemma is obvious. Should I contact the first job and inquire about my status? Should I tell them that I have another job offer, but I am infinitely more interested in what THEY'RE offering? I actually don't recall ever being in this position before. I'd hate to blow off the job I have an offer for, for another job which is much better but hasn't exactly said where I stand after 2 interviews and an upcoming meeting with my immediate line manager. What to do, what to do....
what is this "meeting" for the better job? if you've just recently had your interview with the company you would prefer to work for and want to inquire the status, i'd exploit your current offer from the other company that you do have on the table as "bargaining power". if the company really wants you bad, they will make a decision rather quickly but obviously you have to be tactful about it too.

you can call and inquire about the status but also say that you currently have an offer from a different company, however, you're still seeing the one you're calling as the #1 choice in your eyes and let them know of the situation in an abridged version. for most employers, that should serve as a gentle nudge to get them moving faster and more proactively should they really want you badly... just understand that sometimes they can't move that fast due to their current HR process. as i said earlier though, be careful though... there's a fine line between trying to leverage your bargaining power and annoying the company you really want to and prefer to work for.

btw congrats on an offer though!! i hope things line up for you in terms of what you want

Old 05-29-2010, 07:13 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutt Roh View Post
what is this "meeting" for the better job? if you've just recently had your interview with the company you would prefer to work for and want to inquire the status, i'd exploit your current offer from the other company that you do have on the table as "bargaining power". if the company really wants you bad, they will make a decision rather quickly but obviously you have to be tactful about it too.

you can call and inquire about the status but also say that you currently have an offer from a different company, however, you're still seeing the one you're calling as the #1 choice in your eyes and let them know of the situation in an abridged version. for most employers, that should serve as a gentle nudge to get them moving faster and more proactively should they really want you badly... just understand that sometimes they can't move that fast due to their current HR process. as i said earlier though, be careful though... there's a fine line between trying to leverage your bargaining power and annoying the company you really want to and prefer to work for.

btw congrats on an offer though!! i hope things line up for you in terms of what you want
Thank you for your response.

Honestly, I don't really know what this meeting is, other than at the end of my 2nd interview, the HR manager told me they'd like me to meet and speak with the individual I'd be working under. Essentially I'd be an understudy and assistant for a period of years until that person retired, at which point it is assumed I would take over their position.

The problem is I'm not sure where I stand. Does meeting my prospective immediate boss mean the job is unofficially mine, or is this 'meeting' taking place with other candidates? Am I the only person to have this '3rd' meeting/interview? Impossible to know at this point.

I was considering what you recommend. Which is, to politely inform my 'preferred' company that I have a job offer, but that my 100% preference is to work for them. Perhaps I should say "I have a job offer from another company, but would prefer to work for your organization. I am just inquiring as to my status as this point." or words to that effect, buttered up with a cherry on top. I understand about crossing the line between being an outright nuisance and expressing interest, but certainly companies must know that people are applying to a myriad of jobs, and that it's not unreasonable for one to know where they stand, particularly after 2 interviews and a 3rd meeting scheduled.

My fear is eliminating myself from the equation by inquiring. I don't want to put any 'pressure' on the company, but worst case scenario is the company that offered me a job moves on, and the preferred company doesn't hire me in the end. Then I'm screwed both ways. I don't want to take the 'meh' job, and then leave in a matter of weeks if something better comes along. And rest assured, the company isn't really offering much, and I would be constantly looking for something else.

I just applied to some jobs yesterday as a backup in any event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or