Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 05:22 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,447,422 times

Advertisements

I went on an interview, recently, and was asked a question I haven't heard in a while. The interviewer asked about my status with the DoD. I've been out of uniform since late '98, and my contract was over in April of '02.

The guy asked me if I was still under contract. I told him no (he should have known this already from my application, which I'd submitted along with my polished resume). He then made what I would describe as an attempt to put me on the defensive, and told me that I could still be called back, then he goes off on a tangent about "some employee" of his who got "called up", and how he (the interviewer) had to fight with the DoD to keep the guy from being deployed.

Anyone else experience this? What are the specific laws regarding this issue?

This isn't the first time I've been asked this question, and it's been asked at least a dozen times or so on interviews. I thought this was supposed to be illegal, and it smacks of blatant discrimination against veterans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:49 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Welcome to the private sector. They can ask all they want so long as its not being used against you. I think the specifics you said may be walking the line, but unless they indicate your veterans status may be a negative, there is nothing illegal. As for descrimination, how do you know it wasn't to judge your response because they had a higher position avaiable and wanted to see if you should be offered a better job?

Old 05-28-2010, 09:14 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
In a situation like that I would simply smile politely and repeat my answer--I am no longer under contract. Sometimes interviewers just get off on a tangent. And sometimes they are 'fishing' to see if you'll change your answer under pressure.

It isn't illegal to ask questions, so long as the answer isn't used against you. And furthermore these questions aren't really about your veteran status so much as they are about your availability status. They would likely ask the same questions if you were a civilian contractor who may not be at liberty to enter employment with them.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:18 PM

274 posts, read 998,262 times
as already stated, it is legal for a company to ask about your military experience and regarding your veteran status, unless it's not an EOE which would be rare. either way they should not be using any of that information either for or against you.

if you have reserve/guard duty or are a member of the IRR (inactive ready reserves), you still have a duty to commit to uncle sam. should you get called up, the employer BY LAW must obey and allow you to fulfill your military duties and obligations. and if the employer uses your absence against you for whatever reason including terminating employment, you have the right to bring it to court in which everytime they will lose. i've seen that happen in action.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:06 AM

470 posts, read 1,155,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
I went on an interview, recently, and was asked a question I haven't heard in a while. The interviewer asked about my status with the DoD. I've been out of uniform since late '98, and my contract was over in April of '02.

The guy asked me if I was still under contract. I told him no (he should have known this already from my application, which I'd submitted along with my polished resume). He then made what I would describe as an attempt to put me on the defensive, and told me that I could still be called back, then he goes off on a tangent about "some employee" of his who got "called up", and how he (the interviewer) had to fight with the DoD to keep the guy from being deployed.

Anyone else experience this? What are the specific laws regarding this issue?

This isn't the first time I've been asked this question, and it's been asked at least a dozen times or so on interviews. I thought this was supposed to be illegal, and it smacks of blatant discrimination against veterans.
The guy was an ill-informed idiot that I think didn't want to hire you.
Or he was taking a brief vacation into "Fantasyland."
I've never heard of anybody having to "fight" w/ DoD over an employee.
It just doesn't happen.
You are lucky that you did not get hired by this wacko.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:24 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,447,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
The guy was an ill-informed idiot that I think didn't want to hire you.
Or he was taking a brief vacation into "Fantasyland."
I've never heard of anybody having to "fight" w/ DoD over an employee.
It just doesn't happen.
You are lucky that you did not get hired by this wacko.
Thank you. The "story" sounded fishy.

I've experienced this in job interviews, and in the workplace. One co-worker I had 7 years ago tried telling me I could be called up, despite not being on under contract. Co-worker was a real wing nut, so I just let it slide, as I usually do (especially when they're crazy people).

Thank you all for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search