U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 01:26 AM

690 posts, read 1,879,411 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what people's feelings are about dumbing down resumes. I'm trying to relocate. I've been applying for jobs for the past 2.5 months or so. I've applied to over 30 places and haven't gotten a single interview. I've been applying for entry-level accounting positions...even though I have three years of experience in accounting and two Bachelor's degrees. I'm not a CPA, but I'm eligible to sit for the exam. I just haven't had a reason to do that yet. I get the feeling that, to get an accounting job, who you know is more important than what you know.

Anyhow, I'm getting frustrated and I've seen several low-paying teller jobs listed at banks in the place that I want to relocate. I was a teller for about five years here and I remember meeting a lot of people doing that. One person I met helped me get two different, better-paying jobs. So, I'm thinking about applying for teller jobs in hopes that I can meet people and network in my new location. I could survive on the salary if I made some serious cutbacks, but I'm not sure I could contribute to a 401(k) or savings while I'm doing it...since I'd be taking about a 50% paycut. In fact, I might have to dig into what little savings I have right now (almost $3k). But not my 401(k). I have about $20K in that right now and I'm thinking about just rolling that into a Roth IRA or something. I don't think I'll be needing that.

Does this sound like a dumb idea? And, if I start applying for teller jobs, should I leave off my education? I know I'm not a rocket scientist, but I feel like having two degrees might make banks feel like I expect more money. Or maybe it'd help make me look better. I can't decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 02:16 AM

25,165 posts, read 48,443,669 times
Try it. Management like to be surrounded be people who won't upstage them.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:58 AM

47,573 posts, read 60,673,444 times
It all depends - artsyguy is right when it comes to inferior management with individuals who worry about being upstaged. However in a good business, that wouldn't be the fear, they would not hold "brains" against someone.

I think it's a common misperception that all businesses want "dumb" employees in certain positions. That in itself would indicate management problems. Often they wouldn't mind having sharp people especially when handling customers and you could go in with that approach that you'd want to learn the business from the ground up.

I believe the real fear is getting someone who'll think they're too good for the job and who will have a crappy attitude about the job, not so much that they want "dumb". So to me it's all in the approach. It might be better - but then it all depends on who is doing the hiring - to be straight forward and honest and admit that eventually you'd like to be considered for a promotion but imply you're going to do the best job you can in whatever position you hold.

In some jobs, turn-over of employees is expected and they won't care how much education someone has, or how little, they don't count on people staying forever.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:39 PM

201 posts, read 382,378 times
Why dont you try passing your CPA putting it on your resume and then see what happens. If you still dont get call backs then maybe try dumbing it down. I just got my PE in engineering I figure better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Certian fields like accounting and engineering there are state and federal laws that require someone in the office to actually be certified so the employer can not just have an office full of minimum wage clowns performing critical work to the community at large, its one of the few protections we have left for professionals in the USA.

Short of that if an employer can see that you are taking a lower paying job because of the economy they know that you will jump ship as soon as the economy improves and I say thats what they should expect when they are diliberatly taking advantage of peoples desperation. What corporations are doing right now is evil so they can hardly take the moral high ground, if an MS level employee is cranky because they are being paid slave wages because you (the employer) are taking advantage of the bad economy to grease the hands of your board members thats not MS level employees fault, they are just trying to survive in this company store of the USA. When people are living in prosperity and then all of a sudden they are boarder lining chineese slave wages you should expect issues.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:42 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,320,900 times
Why minimize the good things about you? Seems like a bad strategy.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:59 PM

645 posts, read 1,289,386 times
^^because it helps you find gigs in this god awful economy sadly

Old 05-29-2010, 01:04 PM

I know. I brought up my master's degree in casual conversation to a floor manager the other day. And he just stared at me like as if he had severe mental challenges. lol. Don't even bring up your formal education in casual conversations. Their eyes will glaze over.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:06 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,320,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I know. I brought up my master's degree in casual conversation to a floor manager the other day. And he just stared at me like as if he had severe mental challenges. lol. Don't even bring up your formal education in casual conversations. Their eyes will glaze over.
Where on Earth do you work?

Old 05-29-2010, 09:20 PM

lol are you surprised people can be that severely mentally challenged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Where on Earth do you work?

Old 05-29-2010, 09:58 PM

690 posts, read 1,879,411 times
Thanks for the advice. I gave you all rep points for being helpful. I honestly feel like what I should do is try to pass the CPA exam. If I'm really diligent, I might be able to pass the exam in less than a year and a half. But that's such a long time and I really hate living here. So, that's not what I want to do. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or