U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 11:22 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,624,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Work done as a volunteer should be left off.

If they were paid for it, it's considered work history, whether it applies to the current job or not.

Though I really wonder why one should go back more than ten years anyhow. Is the afterschool job really relevant to the work I do today?
Unless it directly applies to the job you're applying for. I've done a lot of volunteer translation work and I definitely include that on my resume for any translation-related job I'm applying for. It's the only way to explain how I know some of the languages I know.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 11:31 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
I thni it just like anyhting else where a person does volunteer work or is a member of a organization. If a perosn is a meber of a churc that actually support charity works then its no different than being a Lion's club member or any other .

Old 02-28-2011, 01:58 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,979,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
If a person is delusional and brainwashed enough to go to church and he believes superstitions and the supernatural control his life, then how can he be trusted to think rationally for an employer?

So you think a person is delusional and brainwashed and unemployable just because he goes to church???????????????????

Old 02-28-2011, 02:04 PM

623 posts, read 1,427,412 times
Quote:
If a person is delusional and brainwashed enough to go to church and he believes superstitions and the supernatural control his life, then how can he be trusted to think rationally for an employer?
A person that believes in nothing still believes in something. Believing in a religion is no more crazy than believing we came from apes or somehow everything just happened.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:03 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,698,893 times
I have put volunteer work on my resume, selectively...it just all depends on the job you are applying for...

Old 03-01-2011, 08:25 AM

3,414 posts, read 3,179,719 times
Bad idea, religion and the workplace don't mesh (unless you are applying to a religious organization.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 AM

358 posts, read 947,387 times
On a resume, no. But if an application has a section such as "other relevant information" or "additional information you think is applicable for this position", then perhaps religious "stuff" could fit, but it has to be related to the position you're applying for.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:54 PM

14,220 posts, read 44,878,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually 30 years or so ago it was customary and almost required to include a photo on your resume. Very old school, although still done in Europe.

My take on them listing their religious affiliation on a resume isn't that they are stable, but rather that they'll be a Bible thumper who will proselytize at work--not someone we'd want to hire.
It does call their ability to figure out what's appropriate at work into question.

Seems to me if the volunteer experience is relevant to the job, include it, but it does not matter if you were wiring houses for a church or for Habitat, what matters is the applicant has some experience as essentially an apprentice electrician (for example).

I don't see any upside in listing a religious affiliation.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:28 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,474,162 times
Quote:
He can probably be trusted as much as someone who is delusional enough to think that NASCAR is a real sport or that Nickelback is a good band.

For the most part, I fail to see how one's personal beliefs on religion, sports, music, politics or anything else poses an issue in terms of whether or not one is qualified for a particular job, except in those handful of instances where there could be a significant conflict between the person and the working environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or