U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 01:37 PM

623 posts, read 1,427,412 times

Advertisements

I think it also depends on what part of the country you live in. We moved from the north where you never spoke of religion to the south where asking someone where they go to church is a common and expected thing to ask. (took us a while to get used to that)

So if that was on a resume in parts of the south I wouldn't be as surprised as I would in other parts of the country.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 04:15 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
30 years or so ago, photo scanners hadn't been invented yet and most people didn't own computers, and most people didn't have access to color printers.

I'd never heard of photographs on resumes til around 15 years ago and even then, it wasn't common, or popular.
There were these things called printers. There were also mimeograph machines. How do you think photos got into newspapers and newsletters? Oh, and let me fill you in on something. The AP was using analog to send photos around the world via the wire service back in the 1940's.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:32 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,698,893 times
Depends...on alot of things, where you live, what you are going to put on...for example, in Utah, if you went to an interview, and had gone on a mission for the Mormon church, you would have a 2 year gap in your work history, and you might put on the resume that you spoke German, the interviewer could pretty much "assume" you had gone on a mission for the Mormon Church..and might ask you about it...also, they were temple garments, which can be seen pretty easily under clothing. It is to your benefit to have served a church mission in that area, and those that have are held in high regard.

Another example, is attending a bible college, or doing other coursework at a religious school, like Notre Dame, people are pretty much going to assume you are Catholic, same as if you went to a job interview wearing a Yarmulke, you are "announcing" your religion...which might be a good idea in some areas....

I don't mind if people assume my religion, they don't ask me about it, but they know that I am religious, even at work.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:12 PM

21,956 posts, read 22,099,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
also, they were temple garments, which can be seen pretty easily under clothing.
Not always. I wear garments, but I make a point to wear fabrics that aren't thin enough to be seen through. If a man wore a suit coat to an interview, it would be pretty darned difficult to tell if he was wearing temple garments.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:34 PM

964 posts, read 2,350,595 times
If a person is delusional and brainwashed enough to go to church and he believes superstitions and the supernatural control his life, then how can he be trusted to think rationally for an employer?

Old 02-23-2011, 10:50 PM

13,314 posts, read 25,546,272 times
Regarding the previous post- I am a rock-solid atheist, but don't think insulting comments about other worldviews are helpful in any arena.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:10 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,371,303 times
Work done as a volunteer should be left off.

If they were paid for it, it's considered work history, whether it applies to the current job or not.

Though I really wonder why one should go back more than ten years anyhow. Is the afterschool job really relevant to the work I do today?

Old 02-24-2011, 09:37 PM

935 posts, read 2,190,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
If a person is delusional and brainwashed enough to go to church and he believes superstitions and the supernatural control his life, then how can he be trusted to think rationally for an employer?
Not necessarily. I'm Agnostic, but I've met some Christians, Muslims, and Jainists (?), etc who were very trustworthy and rational. On the other hand, I've met some Agnostics and Atheists who were very delusional. Don't get me wrong, I have seen my fair share of insane religious people, but I don't think religion is a fair predictor of rational thinking. Though, if someone believes the way you describe--which a lot of people who believe in a religion do not go to church regularly or believe an all-powerful being controls every single aspect of a person's life--then it would be a red flag.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:08 PM

Many scientists and other rational logical people seem to be able to "double"- to both hold scientific rigor in one compartment of the brain, but to have the non-rational religious/god belief system in another.
I don't get it, but I know it exists.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:10 PM

I would include "community experience" if the volunteer work was sort of recent and indicated some sort of skill or responsibility that doesn't appear on the actual work experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or