U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 11:38 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,010,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
If a person is delusional and brainwashed enough to go to church and he believes superstitions and the supernatural control his life, then how can he be trusted to think rationally for an employer?
I go to Temple (occasionally), wear a Star of David necklace, and call myself a Jew... but I don't believe there's a man in the sky, and technically my beliefs are more Atheistic in nature. So even if a person identifies with a religion, you can't assume they're a "brainwashed believer" - and even if they are a believer, it's rather judgmental of you to assume they lack common sense in all aspects of life.

Btw, I wore my Star of David to a recent interview, and two Jewish ladies who worked there noticed... it sparked some conversation, not to mention an invitation to attend Temple nearby. Oh yeah, and I got the job. I don't make it a point in my resume or interview, but sometimes the hints work in my favor! Especially around here, where most Jewish people are like me (more culturally Jewish than religious). They also see anything other than white/Christian as "diverse," and thus coveted in a workplace. That's just how Californians are, and I've lived here long enough to know the game.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-24-2011 at 11:46 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 11:38 PM

935 posts, read 2,190,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Many scientists and other rational logical people seem to be able to "double"- to both hold scientific rigor in one compartment of the brain, but to have the non-rational religious/god belief system in another.
I don't get it, but I know it exists.
Yes! I have friends who are earning their PhD's in Biology and Chemistry fields. At the same time, they are also religious and a couple attend church on a regular basis. They don't let the idea of "God created it" interfere with their research. They keep science in the labs and religion in the church. Sometimes they will talk about either topic when they are socializing with others, but they do not try to talk science in the church or religion in the labs (at least not to my knowledge).

Their experiments are more about cellular reactions and bonds, so they are not out to prove the existence of God and scientific communities require strict proof for peer-reviewed publications (and the "God Card" would not fly as proof). And don't forget, Sir Isaac Newton was a Christian even though there were times in which he disagreed with the church.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:31 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I go to Temple (occasionally), wear a Star of David necklace, and call myself a Jew... but I don't believe there's a man in the sky, and technically my beliefs are more Atheistic in nature. So even if a person identifies with a religion, you can't assume they're a "brainwashed believer" - and even if they are a believer, it's rather judgmental of you to assume they lack common sense in all aspects of life.

Btw, I wore my Star of David to a recent interview, and two Jewish ladies who worked there noticed... it sparked some conversation, not to mention an invitation to attend Temple nearby. Oh yeah, and I got the job. I don't make it a point in my resume or interview, but sometimes the hints work in my favor! Especially around here, where most Jewish people are like me (more culturally Jewish than religious). They also see anything other than white/Christian as "diverse," and thus coveted in a workplace. That's just how Californians are, and I've lived here long enough to know the game.
Eh. That could have just as easily worked against you.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:14 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Work done as a volunteer should be left off.

If they were paid for it, it's considered work history, whether it applies to the current job or not.

Though I really wonder why one should go back more than ten years anyhow. Is the afterschool job really relevant to the work I do today?
I totally disagree. I like to see a well rounded individual, and someone who has volunteered for Habitat, Give Kids the World/Make A Wish, Boys and Girls Clubs, animal rescue, or any number of other organizations will get brownie points with me.

As far as the afterschool job, if you've got five years of work history in your field, leave it off. If you are a recent grad or the afterschool job was relevant or had leadership qualities, leave it on. If you worked p/t while in school and were a key holder, shift leader, assistant manager, etc., that's really important to me, even if it was fast food or retail. It shows you're trustworthy and motivated, because people don't get those promotions when they are a slacker.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
If a person is delusional and brainwashed enough to go to church and he believes superstitions and the supernatural control his life, then how can he be trusted to think rationally for an employer?
Considering that the vast majority of people on this earth have some sort of religious convictions, your logic is inherently flawed.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:29 AM

964 posts, read 2,350,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Considering that the vast majority of people on this earth have some sort of religious convictions, your logic is inherently flawed.

Nope. Just because they all think the same, doesn't make them right. Majority rules = correct?

Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Nope. Just because they all think the same, doesn't make them right. Majority rules = correct?
I don't argue with zealots, it's not worth the time or energy.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:41 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,705,471 times
Religion related work is fine on a resume if it is framed in the context of the work experience that brings value to your credentials. I'm an atheist and would have no problem hiring someone who's experience included religious work as long as it applied to the talents I'm looking for.

Same with volunteer work, I might not put as much weight on it as a paid job but it is certainly a positive factor that shouldn't be ignored.

Good luck everyone.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:09 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,639,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've gotten a fair number of resumes submitted lately that have indicated membership in a various church. Usually it's been volunteer work, a few times it's just flat out stated that they were a member of "insert name of religious organization here."

Now I guess I could see it if the work was specifically relevent to the job--ie applying for a carpentry job and have volunteer experience with the Church of ABC men's club installing wheelchair ramps in disabled veterans homes or something along those lines. But for example, teaching Sunday school to six year olds is never going to be relevent to an administrative job that isn't in a school or religious institution, and I'm not sure why that type of information is included.

My opinion is that details like that which serve no purpose should be left off a resume.

What do the rest of you think?
I agree. I don't know why people put that on their resumes, it possibly could harm them instead of help them.

I had a acquaintance years ago who was a Catholic nun for 16 years and thought it was appropriate to put that down even though it was more then 10 years from experience and should never have been on her resume. She couldn't understand why she wasn't getting jobs and I think that was it.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:09 AM

29,041 posts, read 45,010,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Eh. That could have just as easily worked against you.
I always wear it, so it wasn't intentional or planned... and honestly, if it worked against me I wouldn't want to work there anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or