U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:56 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,925,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Browsing through the job sites today...and one thing I've been noticing is that in quite a few listings, the employer is demandin....I mean requesting the applicant send salary history and requirements. I've even seen a good number of listings stating that responses without salary requirements will be deleted. What's the deal? Anybody else notice this? It seems like companies are trying to find ways to cut corners and find cheap labor. Oh and what's with employers asking that an applicant... "must be willing to work in a high-stress environment"? Who the hell wants to work in a high-stress environment...that ain't even logical. Okay rant over, lol...but seriously am I just seeing things
Well what other methods would you suggest for them to price you out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:47 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Almost every job I apply to requires it. If not, then the pre-interview phone call asks for it. At which point I get told that they can't offer that much.
If you have been told that multiple times, you probably need to reevaluate your salary requirements.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:52 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
For one of the jobs we recently hired for, we asked for applicants to indicate a salary range. It wasn't to low ball them, but to weed out the people who were makign way more than we were going to be offering. Why waste anyone's time with an over-qualified applicant who wants a minimum of $150K when you are only looking to pay $80K--which is on the high end for the experience and qualifications we were looking for?

(We never asked for a salary history.)

Old 06-03-2010, 09:50 AM

8,808 posts, read 13,301,562 times
In my experience when the first question they ask is how much, they are shopping for suckers. I interviewed with a small company and dodged the salary question until the third interview they spouted $12/hour and I said no thanks bye bye.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:15 AM

38,877 posts, read 20,174,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I have definitely noticed this. I saw an ad where they described their ideal candidate as someone who loves working in a high-stress environment, willing to work 60+ hours, etc. And the job descriptions are insane. The duties go on and on and on. There's no possible way you could do all they want done in a 12 hour day. I'm also seeing a lot of salaried jobs as opposed to hourly. Personally, I've always preferred hourly wages.
Often times, the actual job does not require the employee to perform ALL of the duties listed in the job bulletin.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:46 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,329,545 times
Not sure why people on this thread have a issue with a company asking a applicant to send their salary requirements. The company probably has a SET NUMBER that they can't go past because of the current budget status and need to know the salary requirements of whoever is applying.

Makes perfect sense to me

Old 06-03-2010, 12:54 PM

11,682 posts, read 14,437,337 times
If an employer really likes your resume, then they are not going to care if you answer a salary question or not. If they dismiss you simply because you don't list salary, then do you really want to work for them anyways?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:00 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,329,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
If an employer really likes your resume, then they are not going to care if you answer a salary question or not. If they dismiss you simply because you don't list salary, then do you really want to work for them anyways?
You will be dismised because the knows what can and cannot offer. So if the applicant ignores the request and not list any salary requirement then they probably would dismissed immediately.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Not sure why people on this thread have a issue with a company asking a applicant to send their salary requirements. The company probably has a SET NUMBER that they can't go past because of the current budget status and need to know the salary requirements of whoever is applying.

Makes perfect sense to me
The issues I have are the following:

1. The employer has budgeted a certain amount (let's say 40K) for the position and the candidate lists a lower salary. The employer opts to offer the candidate the lower salary to save money.
2. The employer has budgeted a certain amount (let's say 35K) but the candidate lists a previous hourly rate that appears to be higher but the job was part-time. The candidate is fully willing to accept the 35K because it would mean more money, stability and benefits (if the position offered it). This candidate gets screened out because they have not taken into consideration that the candidate's previous hourly rate is lower when the number of hours worked is factored into the equation!

Old 06-03-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You will be dismised because the knows what can and cannot offer. So if the applicant ignores the request and not list any salary requirement then they probably would dismissed immediately.
I know which is why I ALWAYS respond to those requests while knowing that it places me at a disadvantage due to the unusually high hourly rate I command in my part-time work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search