U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 01:07 PM

269 posts, read 591,860 times

Advertisements

Another point...you may agree to a lower salary than bolt when another job offer comes along. Some employers may think..."Why waste time training someone if they're going to leave anyway"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 01:09 PM

38,875 posts, read 20,168,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherLeeds13 View Post
Another point...you may agree to a lower salary than bolt when another job offer comes along. Some employers may think..."Why waste time training someone if they're going to leave anyway"?
I understand that but in my situation, I would prefer a full-time position doing what I love versus the instability of part-time work with iffy chances of gaining full-time at those particular organizations.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:14 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The issues I have are the following:

1. The employer has budgeted a certain amount (let's say 40K) for the position and the candidate lists a lower salary. The employer opts to offer the candidate the lower salary to save money.
2. The employer has budgeted a certain amount (let's say 35K) but the candidate lists a previous hourly rate that appears to be higher but the job was part-time. The candidate is fully willing to accept the 35K because it would mean more money, stability and benefits (if the position offered it). This candidate gets screened out because they have not taken into consideration that the candidate's previous hourly rate is lower when the number of hours worked is factored into the equation!

I think the way I submitted my salary range was whatever I preferred I started the range closer to that number. For example, if I wanted no less than 40K, i would put my range is

42K to 50K

If i put, 35K to 45K chances are I won't achieve the 40K i want because they would probably work in the 35K to 39K range

Old 06-03-2010, 01:15 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
The best way to answer the salary request is by giving a range and adding that depending on the benefits offerd, you have some flexibility.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I think the way I submitted my salary range was whatever I preferred I started the range closer to that number. For example, if I wanted no less than 40K, i would put my range is

42K to 50K

If i put, 35K to 45K chances are I won't achieve the 40K i want because they would probably work in the 35K to 39K range
I usually do this for salary requirements but don't have this option if a salary history is required instead.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The best way to answer the salary request is by giving a range and adding that depending on the benefits offerd, you have some flexibility.
That's my prerogative but when a salary history is requested, I usually get shot in the foot because of my hourly rate at my part-time assignment.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:29 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
That's my prerogative but when a salary history is requested, I usually get shot in the foot because of my hourly rate at my part-time assignment.
I moved from a very high COL area to a much lower COL area and ran into this. I remember going on the interview for the first job I got when I got here, and the hiring manager asking how much I had made at my alst job. I told him, but in the same breath pointed out that it was a much higher COL area, and I knew I'd be taking a substantial salary cut in this area.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:55 PM

8,468 posts, read 13,650,462 times
I never give specific numbers and instead just say negotiable. Employers obviously want to get the cheapest person they can find and undercut an applicant's negotiating power.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:11 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,971,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Oh and what's with employers asking that an applicant... "must be willing to work in a high-stress environment"? Who the hell wants to work in a high-stress environment...that ain't even logical. Okay rant over, lol...but seriously am I just seeing things
Um, because the job offered IS extremely high stress, lots of jobs are, and they don't want to waste their time on someone who can't handle it.

You probably aren't very ambitious if you don't want a high stress job.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:16 PM

6,611 posts, read 11,301,169 times
I never answer these - what I earned in previous positions is irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search