U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:26 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,430,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Craigslist is not a good place to find a job to start a career for the most part.

It is great to find a part time job though.
I disagree...atleast in the nj/nyc area. good job leads on cl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 09:08 AM

59 posts, read 132,557 times
Most of the time when I send my resume on CL all I get is spam

Old 06-04-2010, 09:36 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,923,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Let the market work.
Yes, let the market work. That goes for government and corporations as well. STOP OFFSHORING JOBS!!! This drives wages down for several skilled labor positions. This is supposed to be the land of opportunity. Unfortunately, the price of opportunity has gone up significantly. You have to pay $20,000-$50,000 to get any sort of education or training (at least in this country) so that you can be minimally qualified for a position. Then, once you get that training, you have to compete with Johnny, Kumar, Sergei, Jin, Ahmad, Sven, et al for the position. Since your comrades from overseas had subsidized education, they can work for a fraction of what you can. Gotta love that global economy.

Now, if we can persuade idiot consumers to stop financing everything on credit, maybe it'll send a message to companies that we cannot afford to buy your products on our low wages. That'll be the day.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:48 AM

I agree, the global economy is a big game changer and frankly, it sucks. But if people stop thinking like Henry Ford and start thinking like Sam Walton, they'd succeed in the global economy. Times have changed. A college education is nice, but you don't NEED one to succeed. I am living proof of that.

The idiots are the ones that spend $50k getting an education in something like Woman's Studies or Religion and expecting to get great jobs. Those subjects are interesting and important, but hardly applicable to the job market.

I blame people refusing to adapt to the global economy, not consumers.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:02 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,956,366 times
DoH! It's craigslist......... nuff said?

Old 06-04-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I agree, the global economy is a big game changer and frankly, it sucks. But if people stop thinking like Henry Ford and start thinking like Sam Walton, they'd succeed in the global economy. Times have changed. A college education is nice, but you don't NEED one to succeed. I am living proof of that.

The idiots are the ones that spend $50k getting an education in something like Woman's Studies or Religion and expecting to get great jobs. Those subjects are interesting and important, but hardly applicable to the job market.

I blame people refusing to adapt to the global economy, not consumers.
Yeah, apparently I'm one of those idiots that spent too much on my education. It's one of those things, you're already half way through and then you realize how much money you need to pay back...do you quit or finish? I decided it would be better to finish, which cost me several thousand more dollars.

Of course, I wasn't expecting a $90k/yr job out of college, but I was expecting more than $20k/yr. (I'm making more than that by the way, but a lot of my friends are working for low wages). I'm paying for it now, but I'm constantly looking for an opportunity to get a fresh start, to pay off my student loans, and get into a field that I enjoy.

Whether you spent $100k for your degree or $20k, nobody wants it to destroy their future. We give so many murderers, drug addicts, everyday thugs second chances in this country because they play a game or act in movies. What about these people who made misinformed decisions about their education? They weren't trying to harm anybody or break the law, they were trying to better their lives. Do we just say "the hell with them"? I certainly hope not.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:18 AM

8,796 posts, read 13,284,781 times
A lot of people on CL are idiots. I'd go shopping for a new/used bike (I'm an avid cyclist) and get people with 25 year old road bikes with outdated technology asking for $500 when It probably retailed back in the day for $400 brand new. For the most part people on CL are using the large audience to find a sucker.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
What about these people who made misinformed decisions about their education? They weren't trying to harm anybody or break the law, they were trying to better their lives. Do we just say "the hell with them"? I certainly hope not.
Certainly not. There's lots of opportunities in this great country still! This economic downturn is a glitch in the system and not the norm. Those who are willing to work hard will get their reward. I don't doubt that.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Certainly not. There's lots of opportunities in this great country still! This economic downturn is a glitch in the system and not the norm. Those who are willing to work hard will get their reward. I don't doubt that.
I agree. I'm not the type that feels entitled to handouts. I don't want anything to do with them. I want my hard work to open up opportunities for me so that I can get ahead in life. As you mentioned, the downturn is a glitch in the system and thus, opportunities are pretty rare at the moment. Graduating in this recession has been a terrifying experience, let me tell ya.

I'll continue to work hard, because it has opened up some opportunity for me. Heck, I moved across country with my car and the clothes on my back and managed to get a job in a matter of two weeks. I was living in a motel while I searched for work haha (no family or friends here). Since I started my job in '08, my salary has increased by $10k in less than two years. I attribute it to my hard work and ambition. So, I do have a small glimmer of hope.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:43 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,918,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly95 View Post
Most of the time when I send my resume on CL all I get is spam
If I were you I would not send resumes out to ads that do not state a company name or give legit information. If you are getting spam it is very apparent that the ads you respond to do not include any info other than "send resume"

You must be very careful on Craigslist as it is a breeding ground for people taking advantage of the unemployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search