Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:32 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,220,304 times

Advertisements

this is sad (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/ofc/1773577925.html - broken link)

this is sad

Date: 2010-06-03, 4:02PM EDT

wow its so sad to see all these employers who seem to be looking for the whole package; they even require a college degree for some of the most basic office jobs and yet they want to pay $10/ hr or less....really?? what are we supposted to pay with that kind of salary? that barely covers rent nowadays. get real ppl!

• Compensation: NOTHING!!
  • Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • Please, no phone calls about this job!
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who's side are you on? The Craigslist User or said Employers?

Last edited by FreshFresh; 06-03-2010 at 07:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 06:51 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,862,182 times
An employee's worth is measured by two things.

1. How much do they contribute to the employers bottom line?
2. Can equivelent talent be recruited that is willing to work for less?

Why should an employer pay more than the "going rate" or reward non-contributors?

That said, I don't believe that employers should abuse employees and I do think that fair wages should be paid. But there seem to be an awful lot of marginally qualified people applying for jobs thinking that they are worth a lot more than they actually are.

Do I think it's wrong for an employer to think it's OK to pay a receptionist minimum wage with no benefits, yes, it's atrocious. On the same note, that receptionist shouldn't expect to make $40K a year with five weeks paid vacation because they are overqualified and that's what they made at their last job when they were an executive admin. Both sides need to have reasonable and realistic expectations.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,016,315 times
What that craigslist poster fails to realize is that no one is forcing him to work for those employers or any employer.

I hate it when people complain about rates or conditions set by employers (given that they are within legal realm, ofcourse). If you don't want to work for someone else for whatever reason, work for yourself. Become an employer yourself. I don't get why people choose the easier path, the path travelled more... and then complain about it's conditions.

There are options for everyone. Now I agree it's definately harder in the current economic times, but it's not impossible.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:26 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,651,107 times
I often come across ads that expect you to be this superman/superwoman that knows every little nook and cranny of the field and just all kinds of ridiculous qualifications. They are NEVER going to find someone who has ALL or even MOST of those things, haha. Those are the kind of ads I never understand and they seem to be pretty prevalent.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:39 PM

I have applied to jobs that require me to be superman. I do it all the time. My goal is to do whatever it takes to get in front of the hiring manager. Then do my best to make them want me and at whatever salary I want. It's a hit or miss method... but I'll take 100 misses for each hit.

If people focus on just getting in front of the hiring manager and stop filtering based on job listing details, they'd get farther.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:42 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,851,611 times
I'm on both sides.

The CL poster is right: it is absurd what some employers expect people to work for. But at the same time, the market will determine what how low an employer can go. And their lowball tactics can backfire.

A few local businesses in my area have seen their customer base plummet after local media profiled them and revealed that they were looking to hire minimum wage workers but expected absurd experience in return (like, '10 yrs experience in hydroponic gardening sales'). These businesses assumed that the community would want to support local business, which is true. But they didn't consider that these same patrons would equally want to support a business that pays its workers a living wage.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:18 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,298,337 times
Some places will get people to work for those wages - but not for long. These employers are fishing for the people who are desperate enough to work for anything but these people mostly leave after 6 months when they get a good gig.

Hey, if the company wants to be a revolving door.... pretty creepy but that is what some business are like.

Yeah this economy is definitely bringing out the scumbag bottomfeeders.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:23 PM

Let the market work.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:23 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,220,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Some places will get people to work for those wages - but not for long. These employers are fishing for the people who are desperate enough to work for anything but these people mostly leave after 6 months when they get a good gig.

Hey, if the company wants to be a revolving door.... pretty creepy but that is what some business are like.

Yeah this economy is definitely bringing out the scumbag bottomfeeders.
I remember there was this learning center that required its applicants to have a masters degree + experience w/ children and the pay rate was 9 dollars an hour. Its part-time as well.

Pretty offensive.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:24 PM

4,284 posts, read 10,728,787 times
Craigslist is not a good place to find a job to start a career for the most part.

It is great to find a part time job though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search