Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:13 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

I've been completely unemployed since June, and haven't worked full-time in over a year... so obviously I'm starting to get desperate, and have been applying for out-of-town jobs as of lately. I'd really prefer NOT to relocate, since this is where my family & friends live, but if I have to move I will.

I applied for this one job down in Santa Monica, which is a 5-6 hour drive or short flight from here, and they have invited me for an "examination." This isn't uncommon in my line of work (librarianship), and basically it's a written exam in lieu of a traditional interview - and in this case, it actually weighs 100% on whether you're hired. I have no idea how many people were invited, so for all I know there are hundreds of people competing.

My issue is this... I applied for the job online, and didn't notice until later how little it pays. I mean seriously, it pays CRAP! But it's a great job that sounds right up my alley, full-time with benefits, etc. So do I bother making the trip to Santa Monica for this exam, or say thanks but no thanks? Would you travel that far at your expense, if you were in my position? I'd probably drive rather than fly, so I'm figuring about $50-60 in gas, $100 for a hotel room (we're talking Santa Monica/LA), and whatever food I eat on the trip. I'll take my dog along to avoid getting a pet-sitter, and the cats & snakes can take care of themselves for a night. Whaddya think?

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-08-2010 at 10:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 11:23 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I've been completely unemployed since June, and haven't worked full-time in over a year... so obviously I'm starting to get desperate, and have been applying for out-of-town jobs as of lately. I'd really prefer NOT to relocate, since this is where my family & friends live, but if I have to move I will.

I applied for this one job down in Santa Monica, which is a 5-6 hour drive or short flight from here, and they have invited me for an "examination." This isn't uncommon in my line of work (librarianship), and basically it's a written exam in lieu of a traditional interview - and in this case, it actually weighs 100% on whether you're hired. I have no idea how many people were invited, so for all I know there are hundreds of people competing.

My issue is this... I applied for the job online, and didn't notice until later how little it pays. I mean seriously, it pays CRAP! But it's a great job that sounds right up my alley, full-time with benefits, etc. So do I bother making the trip to Santa Monica for this exam, or say thanks but no thanks? Would you travel that far at your expense, if you were in my position? I'd probably drive rather than fly, so I'm figuring about $50-60 in gas, $100 for a hotel room (we're talking Santa Monica/LA), and whatever food I eat on the trip. I'll take my dog along to avoid getting a pet-sitter, and the cats & snakes can take care of themselves for a night. Whaddya think?
I'm not sure how familiar you are with civil service examinations but this sounds like one. If you pass the civil-service exam, you will be ranked on an eligibility list which hiring departments will use as vacancies occur. Although the test is weighted 100%, more than likely there will be an interview with the hiring department once they reach your score on the list. Although your field (library science if I recall correctly) is sort of a niche field in California as few universities offer this major, you may or may not have a lot of competition but I do know that libraries in this area have made cut backs in the City of Los Angeles so there could be a few displaced librarians taking this exam. Maybe you could check with your contacts for this exam to see if they can advise you regarding the number of candidates taking this exam. They may or may not be able to provide this info but it would not hurt to ask. I wish you the best of luck Gizmo.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:32 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Also ... You have mentioned the pay for this position is lower than what you were anticipating and that is an important consideration when it comes to relocation. Relocating to a different area isn't easy especially if the cost of living is high (of course LA area might be cheaper than SF). Is this position with a school or the city? A lot of these civil service positions have advancement opportunities so your starting pay may not be what you will be earning after a few years. The key thing to consider is what would make you happy? I realize that being unemployed, your options are limited but you do need to be true to yourself. I have flown up to the SF Bay Area for 4 interviews in my field as opportunities are scarce but after those disheartening experiences, I decided to just focus my attentions on Southern California as that is where my heart is as well as my family/friends. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:38 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Well you say it pays "crap" can you give us a range? As a long time resident of Southern CA now on the east coast I have an idea of the cost associated with living there.

If the job pays say 28K that would be tough, if it is paying over 40k you can live on that. Even in Santa Monica. Or you could live in Palms or Culver City and still be close.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:46 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Have you looked at whether the salary offered is enough to live on down there? I'd do the research & maths to see if it's even feasible.

If it IS a civil service exam, the information should be right there with the job offering. That status has to be fully disclosed.

And Chatteress, I agree that usually an eligibility list is engendered, but it's also possible that there is not one right now, as it seems to be a particular position/place for which recruitment is being done.

If you think you can live in that area on what the beginning salary is, I'd say ~ Go For It. Let us know what you decide, Gizmo, and I also am wishing all good outcomes for you.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I'm not sure how familiar you are with civil service examinations but this sounds like one. If you pass the civil-service exam, you will be ranked on an eligibility list which hiring departments will use as vacancies occur.
Thanks for the good wishes! Most of my jobs have been civil service, and yes I am in the library science field (public librarian for the most part)... so I'm pretty familiar with those eligibility lists, and in fact I'm on a few right now. This one didn't say they were forming a list, however, which is usually included in the job description & announcement. It's also a job with the school district, so I think it's a little different from what I'm used to.

Just talked to my mom on the phone, and at first she said "no way, don't bother" for two reasons... one being the low salary, and the other being that she doesn't think it's the right job for me. She's not only my mother, but also a fellow librarian with 30+ years experience, so I definitely trust her judgment. But then we decided it was a good excuse to go away, and see my brother & friends who live in SoCal. Still gonna get some more details before committing, but I think it's worth the trip - if nothing else to get away for a few days. We could all use a vacation, huh?

Old 10-09-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well you say it pays "crap" can you give us a range? As a long time resident of Southern CA now on the east coast I have an idea of the cost associated with living there.

If the job pays say 28K that would be tough, if it is paying over 40k you can live on that. Even in Santa Monica. Or you could live in Palms or Culver City and still be close.
I think it said $15-18/hr, which is about half of what I generally earn in my position... that comes out to around $36,900 annually, if I were receiving the HIGHEST possible salary. As a Californian you understand that's not much, particularly given my level of education (master's) and experience. Then you have to factor in the relocation costs, as somebody else mentioned, which would cost me a LOT. Definitely a few things to consider, and I'm leaning towards "not worth it" at this point - although as I just posted above, I might go to the exam just for the heck of it.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:02 AM

P.S. I don't mean to offend anyone with the salary talk, and calling it crap earlier... I understand that's an honest wage, but "crap" in terms of what I do & the fact that I'd have to move 400 miles away. If it were a local job I'd take it anyway, and just continue looking for something better while I was there. But it's all about perspective & the big picture, especially for someone like myself who's still building a career/life (and has no family to support).

Old 10-09-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Have you looked at whether the salary offered is enough to live on down there? I'd do the research & maths to see if it's even feasible.

If it IS a civil service exam, the information should be right there with the job offering. That status has to be fully disclosed.

And Chatteress, I agree that usually an eligibility list is engendered, but it's also possible that there is not one right now, as it seems to be a particular position/place for which recruitment is being done.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too... all of the public/city jobs clearly state this will be to form an eligibility list, whereas this one only said the exam will count 100%. This is exactly what the email stated: "You are invited to participate in the examination process which consists of a written test worth 100% of the final score." Sounds different to me, so I really should dig deeper to find out the details.

Quote:
If you think you can live in that area on what the beginning salary is, I'd say ~ Go For It. Let us know what you decide, Gizmo, and I also am wishing all good outcomes for you.
Thanks. But you hit on the biggest problem here... Santa Monica is an extremely expensive town, and the surrounding areas aren't much better. I'd have to go 20-30 miles away to find something do-able, at least based on the proposed salary. San Francisco is bad enough, and if I'm going to relocate I'd like to go somewhere MORE affordable - whereas Santa Monica is slightly worse. This is the region where celebrities live, when they don't like the "bustle" of Hollywood & Beverly Hills... that should give you an idea of the kind of place we're talking about.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:17 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think it said $15-18/hr, which is about half of what I generally earn in my position... that comes out to around $36,900 annually, if I were receiving the HIGHEST possible salary. As a Californian you understand that's not much, particularly given my level of education (master's) and experience. Then you have to factor in the relocation costs, as somebody else mentioned, which would cost me a LOT. Definitely a few things to consider, and I'm leaning towards "not worth it" at this point - although as I just posted above, I might go to the exam just for the heck of it.

I agree with your mom, and thanks for posting the salary information. If this was 1990 you would be o.k. in LA with that salary.

But that is too low for 2010. I just took a quick look at the rents for one bedrooms in Culver City(forget Santa Monica) they're getting around $1600 a month.

Which amazes me because when I was back there in March every apt building from the west side to the Valley had for rent signs out.

You would most likely have to rent out in the Valley to get lower rent(which is fine if you work out there) but to commute to SM from the Valley would be a nightmare.

IMO, I would pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search