U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:31 AM

4,805 posts, read 20,251,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier12 View Post
kodaka, "You come across as arrogant." Why? Yes, I am not someone, who would die after seeing manager/VP/President, but arrogant?
The same reason several others said basically the same thing. Obviously this is criticism you don't want to hear, but I can't see how repeating it is going to change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 09:33 AM

232 posts, read 485,847 times
Quote:
Sikaranista, I thought it may be a problem, but hope people can read and understand better/wider.
Without a favorable scan, your resume does not have much chance in reaching a human. Too many applicants, too little jobs.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:46 AM

275 posts, read 657,709 times
"Too many applicants, too little jobs." That's true. That's why it is important to reach right people.

kodaka, you are not HR person, are you?

Old 06-07-2010, 11:55 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,252,913 times
barrier12, you don't come across as arrogant to me - and I understand the problem you're describing.

I have two suggestions. One, instead of thinking of it as re-writing your resume, think of it as adding a few strategic phrases - if there are two or more ways to word something, and both are used in your industry, find a way to include the alternate versions. That way your resume will stand a better chance of being noticed, no matter who looks at it first.

And two, I would find a way to network more with the decision-makers in your industry.

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2010, 12:02 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,972,040 times
Quote:

How is my English, by the way? Would you consider it "good", "good enough", "ok", "so-so"?

Thanks for your opinions.
I would haphazard you are not a native speaker of English. A lot of your lexicon is different and could point to either being a non-native speaker or someone who does not excel at English grammar.

If you are a non-native speaker, then I commend your grasp of the language. Speaking another language fluently is difficult.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:49 PM

bouncethelight, thank you for your post and suggestions.

lovetheduns, actually, I am both of the above, in my case "S" in ESL stands for "sird" or at least "second and a half" language.

I am not sure what exactly kodaka referring to, so I can not comment.

I met good HR folks couple of times, they knew their job-make papers after my new manager said I am hired. But when they start asking "why should I hire you" or "what's your weak side" stuff... You are not here to hire or to fire, it is not in your power, so why even pretend? Most of the times they do not even remotely understand what resume is about unless it is something simple, like forklift driver, which may be too complicated as well because of different types of equipment used now.

I have no problem if you are trying to be gate keeper, but at least try to be smart one. I saw several ads, where TWIC card became TWIK and even TWIX, so, next going to be what, MARS and BOUNTY cards? May be it is just typos, but somehow I see it as another example why BP can not take care of that oil well. Do not do everything by cheapest way(I do not know situation there, but 1 1/5 months seems to be kind of long period ot time in this case).

Old 06-07-2010, 01:06 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
Quote:

How is my English, by the way? Would you consider it "good", "good enough", "ok", "so-so"?

Thanks for your opinions.
Your English is so-so to OK, but you do make a lot of mistakes. If you speak like you write, that might also be part of your problem. Depending on the type of job you are looking for, it might be "good enough" or it might be completely unacceptable.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:52 PM

annerk, thank you for the honest answer. When we discuss something job related we understand each other almost 100% of the times, I think. Terminology, procedures are the same with minor differences in most of the cases.

annerk, as someone, who I think closer to the problem than some other folks here(us, job seakers), what would be your recommendation(s)? Better/smoother resumes, networking, polish your resume up or down a little bit, all of the above, non of the above, move to AK and live as a hunters...

Old 06-07-2010, 02:14 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
Quote:
annerk, thank you for the honest answer. When we discuss something job related we understand each other almost 100% of the times, I think. Terminology, procedures are the same with minor differences in most of the cases.

annerk, as someone, who I think closer to the problem than some other folks here(us, job seakers), what would be your recommendation(s)? Better/smoother resumes, networking, polish your resume up or down a little bit, all of the above, non of the above, move to AK and live as a hunters...
All of the above.

In your case, I would have a native English speaker fine tune your resume and correct any grammatical type errors. I would also have a native English speaker double check any cover letter prior to it being sent. If I received your resume, unless you are experienced in a highly technical/scientific field, I would have put it into the discard pile if it is written in the same manner as your posts.

I think you need to use the correct erminology for the job you are applying for, even if it means having multiple resumes. For example, if you are a skilled appliance repair person, and your resume sent to US employers indicates you are trained in "hob repair," no one would know what you were talking about, because we call it a stove. You need to adapt and use the terminology that is being used at the company you want to work for, not expect them to adapt to you--especially when it comes to communication.

As far as networking, I've said many times that I think it's the single best way to find a job. It opens doors to jobs that sometimes arent' even advertised.

Back to your language skills, this is going to sound crazy, but I know several people who learned to speak "American English" by watching Seinfeld. I'm not endorsing that, but it probably wouldn't hurt. What I would endorse is to find a group of American English speakers and spend time with them. The more you are around English speakers, the better your English will get.

(Now if I can just find a group of Italian speakers to take my own advice... )

Old 06-07-2010, 02:59 PM

Thanks. My resume was double/triple checked before, but I do change/add things from time to time, so there is a chance I am missing there. From what I see owners/managers are ok with my English though. Seinfield? Oh my...

Go to Italy! Or at least to Little Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or