Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 07:07 PM

418 posts, read 1,381,678 times

Advertisements

I am going to a job fair tomorrow. I have never been to one. Any suggestions? ideas? How many resumes should I bring? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 08:29 PM

677 posts, read 1,619,903 times
I've never been to one but we've discussed this in multiple classes that I've taken and I've come across suggestions in different articles online.
  1. Dress professionally, the same as you would if attending a job interview.
  2. Always grab a business card before leaving one of the tables.
  3. Ask questions, show a lot of interest in the company.
  4. Find out what their current needs are and what they're looking for in a candidate. For example, if you're only looking for something full time you wouldn't want to spend too long at a booth where they're looking to bring people in part-time.
  5. If they have nametags available, definitely wear one.
I think that's all I've got, but I'm sure there are other people here who would have more insightful comments.

As for how many resumes to bring...that depends on how many companies are going to be there. I'd say anywhere from 5-20, but it really depends on how many people will be there and how many of those companies you're interested in working for.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:31 PM

677 posts, read 1,619,903 times
Here are a couple of websites that have some really good tips:

Job Fairs - Ten Tips

The Ten Keys to Success at Job and Career Fairs

It's looking like you're going to want to bring a LOT of copies of your resume. One website suggested 2 per company, another said 25 or 40. Have fun making copies!

Oh and good luck!!

Old 06-06-2010, 08:42 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,343,229 times
I went to a job fair where no one wanted resumes. You had to fill out their applications. I just filled them out there.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:28 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,419,126 times
Waste of time. Many of the companies there are not hiring they are just there for public relations purposes. The companies just send HR there who collect and screen resumes/applications. Makes no difference if you apply online or in person. Save the gas/time and do it online or try bypassing HR.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:51 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,011,181 times
Here's an unusual tip .... Bring a small stapler, notepad and pen with you. After speaking with each recruiter, you can staple their business card onto a page in your notepad and jot down notes about the conversation you just had with them and any follow up steps to be taken. This will help you as you are likely to be talking to many recruiters and its difficult to keep them all straight by the end of the day. I wish you the best.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:23 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,993,938 times
I've never been to one, but I have friends that have gone. They had better luck with job fairs for singular companies, not multiple. Singular meaning it was one large corporation/business having an open house of sorts as opposed to several companies setting up tables. The singular fairs seemed to be really interested in hiring more since they foot the bill and set up.

Oh, and they said the fair was so packed you hardly got a chance to talk to recruiters personally. It was often just drop a resume and move on, or you had to wait in a long,long line. Kind of a waste of time.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:59 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,628 times
I agree with the posters above regarding preparations you should make--better to be prepared than not. That said, also be prepared for the different employers to simply tell you to apply on their site and leave you walking away feeling like the whole thing was a waste of time.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:39 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,359,009 times
Job Fairs, well.........for some applicants, ok, for others just a waste of time. Show up with some nice resumes and are told "sorry, we aren't taking resumes here, you have to apply online." Show up nicely dressed (like I have), but will any employer remember how you looked......."no!" Also found out that a lot of schools show up at Job Fairs. I was looking for a job, not to go to school!
Sometimes a Job Fair can be a real JOKE, but you might just get lucky......some folks have.
Good Luck!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:57 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
I have been reading that job fairs are most likely a waste of time. I would still go to one if the option was there and I needed work. So maybe you waste a few hours. Big deal. Prepare as much as possible and maybe something will work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search