Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:12 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times

Advertisements

Are functional resumes not the ideal resume format for those that have large gaps? Why do hiring managers frown upon these types of resumes?

Why is it assumed that those using a functional resume are trying to hide something?

I also would like opinions on which resume format presents one's skills and qualifications better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 01:32 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Are functional resumes not the ideal resume format for those that have large gaps? Why do hiring managers frown upon these types of resumes?

Why is it assumed that those using a functional resume are trying to hide something?

I also would like opinions on which resume format presents one's skills and qualifications better?
You should use the resume format that would best highlight your suitability for the position and your skills/experience/education, etc. The chronological resume is ideal for those with a solid work history without significant gaps (as the chronological resume would highlight the gaps). A functional resume may work best for you if you are concerned about the gaps. There are also hybrid formats which is a combination of a chronological and functional formats.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:33 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I have no problem with a functional resume as long as it's not just full of meaningless catchphrases and is presented in a logical manner which actually showcasess your skills and experience.

Of course I also want to see a listing of your employment history.

These days I expect to see unemployment, and don't hold it against anyone--unless they haven't worked in three or four years, in which case I have a legitimate reason to wonder what's wrong with them.

Unemployment gaps can be addressed in a one word sentence in the cover letter. "There is a gap of employment between company A and company B as I was laid off from company A due to budget cuts," or "Since being laid-off from Company A due to budget cuts in 2009 I've been seeking a new opportunity."

Old 06-07-2010, 04:33 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
I wouldn't reject a functional resume out of hand, but I find chronological resumes tell the applicant's 'story' better. To me, functional resumes usually feel forced, like the applicant is trying to mask incongruous, sporadic, or irrelevant work history. Possibly because that is precisely why people tend to use this format.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Does seeking an education count for having employment gaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Of course I also want to see a listing of your employment history.

These days I expect to see unemployment, and don't hold it against anyone--unless they haven't worked in three or four years, in which case I have a legitimate reason to wonder what's wrong with them.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:09 PM

So what happens if applicants are mothers that have been out of the workforce for 3-4 years or more? What about those that have taken care of someone ill in their family for 3-4 years or more? Are they automatically assumed to have something wrong with them?

Old 06-07-2010, 05:13 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
The economy was bad for a lot longer than just 1.5 years.
Quote:
So what happens if applicants are mothers that have been out of the workforce for 3-4 years or more? What about those that have taken care of someone ill in their family for 3-4 years or more? Are they automatically assumed to have something wrong with them?

Old 06-07-2010, 05:28 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
It's unfair for those who have been forced out of the workforce due to family-related issues. That should be addressed in application materials so the time is accounted for.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:27 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
Damnit...I just finished submitting a functional resume

Old 06-07-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Damnit...I just finished submitting a functional resume
Well you must have something to hide by using that format

I still would like to know why functional resumes are frowned upon? Not everyone's work history is connect the dots perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search