Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:06 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,013 times

Advertisements

I have a phone interview today for my dream position. The manager generally said he doesn't do phone interviews but made an exception, which means I'm competing against people interviewing in person. Anyone got phone specific tips?

Also, I've been wondering how to answer when he inevitably asks why I am planning to relocate 7 hours away... I really have no reason, just that I like this city in Ohio. Any ideas? I'm single and a brand new graduate if that means anything. I was thinking about saying my parents are considering a move to a city about an hour away from this one, which is true, but I'm not sure that a good answer.

The interview is at 2 eastern, I'll let you all know how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 06:25 AM

274 posts, read 998,360 times
first, congrats on passing the screener to get an interview in the first place. here are some tips i have:

1. unless you know otherwise, expect your typical behavorial interview. in this case i mean the "tell me about a time..." or "give me an example of when..." questions. i'd recommend you plan ahead and jot down a few examples from your previous experiences that pertain to those open-ended questions. write an outline so in case you forget something, you have that info in front of you to refresh your memory.

2. obviously eliminate all noises in the background which cause distractions.

3. stand up when you're talking, but stay in one place. this projects your voice better to the interviewer since they cannot see your facial expressions. this helps with showing enthusiam and that goes a long way.

4. always ask questions at the end back to the interviewer. the more specific the question that pertains to either the job role or company, the more it seems that you've done your homework about the company... even if you literally googled the info several minutes before the interview.

5. regarding the relocation question, just say that you're open for opportunities and really leave it at that. and since this job is your "dream" job, this fits right along what you were looking for and emphasize that you're very appreciative of that. don't bring this up during the interview, but many companies nowadays expect candidates to relocate or be flexible in terms of moving around. since you're single, you fit into that mold which makes you more attractive to them - so showing that you're open to move anywhere for the right opportunity says a lot.

good luck and i'm sure you'll do fine!!

Old 06-07-2010, 06:25 AM

232 posts, read 542,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
I have a phone interview today for my dream position. The manager generally said he doesn't do phone interviews but made an exception, which means I'm competing against people interviewing in person. Anyone got phone specific tips?
Do the interview in a quiet room with no distractions. Using a landline is better than using a cell, if you must use a cell, use it in a quiet place with excellent reception. Make sure the phone is fully charged, have a charger at the ready in case you need it. Follow the instructions to the letter. If he says call XXX-XXXX at 10:00 AM, then call that number precisely at 10. If he is going to call you, make sure you are waiting in the room where you are doing the interview with the phones at the ready. If possible, make a test call to yourself to make doubly sure you didn't mute your phone by accident or something like that.

Sit upright, and at attention. I have gone as far as dressing up for a phone interview, to really push myself in to being in the "business" mindset. Have a notepad and pen handy to take notes. Sound as confident and knowledgeable as you can.

Quote:
Also, I've been wondering how to answer when he inevitably asks why I am planning to relocate 7 hours away... I really have no reason, just that I like this city in Ohio. Any ideas? I'm single and a brand new graduate if that means anything. I was thinking about saying my parents are considering a move to a city about an hour away from this one, which is true, but I'm not sure that a good answer.

The interview is at 2 eastern, I'll let you all know how it goes.
Think of your interview as being like a commercial. Don't get toooo clinical with the details. No one buys Pepsi or Coke because "its a brown liquid." Distill a couple of reasons why you like that particular city or area. To be honest, if I were interviewing a recent grad and asked them why they wanted to move to my city, and they were saying something like "I love the area, I am looking forward to jogging/reading/walking the dog/whatever in Mine Falls Park and exploring Boston/the White Mountains/the Seacoast on the weekend...I'd be thrillled, because I knew the candidate knew where s/he was coming and wanted to be here. I've had to deal with homesick employees that regretted a move after a relocation...it is not fun.

I'd also mention that you have family planning on moving to the area in the future. Don't mention age or marital status.

A final tip....every question an interviewer asks boils down to how you answer two questions:

CAN you do the job?
WILL you do the job?

With each answer, show the employer how you can and/or will do the job.

Good luck! Looking forward to hear how it went.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:53 AM

244 posts, read 814,652 times
Congrats on the phone interview! I have had a couple of them myself. I believe the posters above me gave some great tips. Just relax, be yourself, smile while talking, have your notes and questions at the ready, and good luck to you!

Old 06-07-2010, 04:20 PM

Well the interview was extremely short, in all honesty, I could tell the interviewer was inexperienced, he didn't have many questions prepared, and didn't know how to end it. In all the interview was 22 minutes, including the 2 questions I asked at the end.

In all honesty, if it wasn't so short, I would have said it went great. I was well qualified and had the skills, but it's the only interview, and I doubt that they'll hire based on a resume and 22 minutes talking with me.

The decision comes down next week. Since I want this job so bad, and think that the reason I am at a significant disadvantage is the fact that I interviewed by phone rather than in person I will call him thursday and ask if he minds if I come down for an in person interview, say some thing like: I just wanted to follow up with you, I felt that in speaking with you that I fit the position very well, but feel that a phone interview limited my ability to describe my skills properly, would you be willing to sit down with me for an in person interview.

I don't think it can ruin my chances, worst case he says no and I move on... What do you all think?

Old 06-07-2010, 05:22 PM

274 posts, read 998,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Well the interview was extremely short, in all honesty, I could tell the interviewer was inexperienced, he didn't have many questions prepared, and didn't know how to end it. In all the interview was 22 minutes, including the 2 questions I asked at the end.

In all honesty, if it wasn't so short, I would have said it went great. I was well qualified and had the skills, but it's the only interview, and I doubt that they'll hire based on a resume and 22 minutes talking with me.

The decision comes down next week. Since I want this job so bad, and think that the reason I am at a significant disadvantage is the fact that I interviewed by phone rather than in person I will call him thursday and ask if he minds if I come down for an in person interview, say some thing like: I just wanted to follow up with you, I felt that in speaking with you that I fit the position very well, but feel that a phone interview limited my ability to describe my skills properly, would you be willing to sit down with me for an in person interview.

I don't think it can ruin my chances, worst case he says no and I move on... What do you all think?
i hear ya... a phone interview is extremely hard to gauge when it comes to getting a 'good vibe'. a short phone interview doesn't necessarily mean a bad thing (although something is to be said for a 5 min one). if the questions that he asked you were answered appropriately and with concrete examples, i'm sure you did fine.

you mentioned the decision comes next week. after your phone interview, did you ask what the next step of the interview process would be so you can have somewhat of a timeline? usually, asking that keys into the interviewer that you're interested in the opportunity - even though you said he was inexperienced.

regarding your wanting to try to set up an in-person interview, i commend that gesture however personally, i would not do that. my rationale is that you already were given a 'chance' for an interview... and even though it wasn't an in-person one, you still had an interview rather than being dropped out of the running. what i would do is send a follow-up thank you email if you haven't already and reemphasize what you discussed along with some key bullets that show significant accomplishments and/or achievements.

unfortunately, you do come across inexperienced interviewers as you go through the job hunt but assuming they aren't the hiring manager, all the interviewer should be doing is forwarding the information/feedback over to the hiring manager. it would be then when they make the decision. i think you're fine in that as long as you were able to answer all the interview questions well, your info would be alongside of the other candidates for the job. adding a personal touch to a "thank you" email goes a long way.

i sincerely hope you land the position!

Old 06-07-2010, 05:38 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Have note-pad with summary of corporate mission and values. And job description.

Use note-pad to jot down notes.

Have a few questions prepared.

Be in a noise-free room.

Have your resume with you.

And promote yourself.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:43 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Have note-pad with summary of corporate mission and values. And job description.

Be in a noise-free room.

And promote yourself.
Excellent advice Artsy!

Old 06-07-2010, 05:51 PM

Well actually it seems like there is no hiring manager. I know that its weird, but it seems that the manager I spoke with will make the decision. It's one interview and that's it, seems kind of strange that no higher up will have to sit down with me, according to the manager, he will make a final decision end of this week or beginning of next.

And I should have added, that I would also normally not recommend calling after an interview, but at this point, I feel like there is little to lose as, like I said before, it seems almost impossible to hire me without more than talking to me for 20 minutes and seeing my resume. This is a slightly above entry level position, and I'm well qualified, but it doesn't look good....

I'll think about it a little more, wait for more responses, ask a few people I know and then make a move. I strongly doubt that if he was already leaning towards me that saying that I felt that the phone was essentially what led to the less than stellar interview would disqualify me, it might paint me as less confident, although that's a fairly bold step to call someone like that. I guess in writing this I've figured one thing out, there's no easy solution. Anyone got one?

And FWIW, I sent a thank you note about 20 minutes after the interview.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post

Be in a noise-free room.

And promote yourself.
I had all this, the company website and job description open on my laptop, and my resume open on my iPad, three questions and a pen on my desk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search