U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 02:43 PM

5,684 posts, read 8,136,837 times

Advertisements

If you have to ask it's a lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 03:01 PM

275 posts, read 657,650 times
In this context it it is not a lie(IMHO), more, like "work around", similar to work around bugs after release. It would hurt no one. Employer may find good Emploee and vice versa. What other way would you suggest, besides "move and then look"?

Old 06-08-2010, 03:14 PM

8,468 posts, read 13,655,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier12 View Post
In this context it it is not a lie(IMHO), more, like "work around", similar to work around bugs after release. It would hurt no one. Employer may find good Emploee and vice versa. What other way would you suggest, besides "move and then look"?
Which is precisely my dilemma. I could move without a job and then put my Atlanta address on the resume. Only problem is I'd be unemployed. Or I could do this "workaround" and at least improve my chances of being seen. Sure it's dishonest. But it's not like I'd be lying about my qualifications. The way I look at it is that if I just continue using my current address, I'll be filtered out. So even if my background is exactly what they're looking for, they'll never know. But if I do put an Atlanta address, that'll at least get past their filter and force them to look at the resume. Where they go from there I obviously have no control over. But in this market, where employers are getting flooded with more resumes than they can look at, anything that gets your read is worth trying. I'm just trying to figure out what's the worse that would happen.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:21 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,585,325 times
It would have been legitimate in my case. I do consulting work. I had a long term project in Texas, but my address was DC. (I flew out/back every week). On my resume, it says I worked in Texas. I never even thought that it would raise red flags.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:36 PM

7 posts, read 14,454 times
The business world would crumble if people couldn't lie on their resume.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:43 PM

275 posts, read 657,650 times
"Local candidates only" most of the times means Employer do not want:

- pay relocation package,
- have to deal with "Oh, no, I can come for an interview two weeks from now earliest" from candidate.

If you are ready to come for an interview and relocate on your own and your schedule would not be a problem, I do not think someone would care. It is the same as employed/unemployed candidate, if they need someone, they would hire you either way.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:47 PM

232 posts, read 485,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Paying for the interview and relo costs is not an issue. I'm fully willing and prepared to do that. In this market, I wouldn't even raise the issue. But on the job boards, most don't give you the option of putting more than one address. I could write both addresses on the resume itself. But most of the sites ask you to enter your address into their designated address fields, probably to make it easy for recruiters and employers to search by address.
A friend of mine is interviewing for a job near Boston, she is currently on round #4 of interviews. The person that referred her for the job (a mentor of mine) said he had 6 or 7 rounds of interviews before they made a decision. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:50 PM

13,890 posts, read 25,340,170 times
As long as you are willing to show up for an interview and can report as agreed, it's no one's business where you live but you!

Just make sure you can do these things and you're fine. You can probably get by with saying you need to give 30 days notice and that gives you moving time. But you need to be able to do this and make the move quickly. You have to be able to hold up your end of the deal.

As far as your employer being in Chicago, hey, you could be working online from ATL. No way to know anymore. After all, when you call the local bank or whatever, you talk to someone in India.....

Old 06-08-2010, 03:56 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
We hire locals only for our company for one major reason. We are in the Orlando area, America's playground. Far too many people think they want to live here because they like to vacation here.

What happens is usually one of two things.

They either get to the point where an offer is made, and then start to actually look around at housing options, schools, the cost of living (it's not cheap here like most people assume), and realize they don't want the job after all--wasting our time, or

They get here and start working, and after a month of 100 degree days, they decide they hate the heat, the storms, the no-see-ums, and the cost of living that's higher than they had expected, and they quit and go back to wherever they came from, again wasting our time.

So we just don't even consider anyone who isn't already living here. The only exception to that is anyone just out of the military who is already living in or originally from a southern state.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:01 AM

8,468 posts, read 13,655,512 times
I understand why employers prefer local candidates. The purpose of this thread ISN'T to collect the reasons for that preference. And if I were in their position, I would prefer a local candidate too, for the very reasons that people have laid out here. None of this is stuff I haven't heard before. The issue is simply getting my resume seen and to do that, I think I have to be a little dishonest. It's one thing if you're not qualified for a job or if you're looking for relo. But that's not the issue here. Even for interviews, I'm willing to pay the travel expenses, unless it's one of those jobs where they make you do several rounds of interviews. But in my field, that's pretty rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or