U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,295 times

Advertisements

I had a very similar experience recently. I received a verbal offer, and told by HR that it was contingent upon getting a reference from my current supervisor. (Not a confirmation of employment, but a positive reference.) I told them that was not acceptable, and after they thought about it for 10 days they said that the offer was revoked. I never did receive the offer in writing. I have been working in the IT industry for 30 years and never heard of anything like this before. There must be so many unemployed or laid off people out there to whom this is not an issue that employers can pretty much do whatever they want in the interview provess. And then they will complain that they can't find good people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 05:27 PM

8,797 posts, read 13,284,781 times
This is why putting HR in charge of hiring is a huge mistake.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:03 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,293,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford Stein View Post
I had a very similar experience recently. I received a verbal offer, and told by HR that it was contingent upon getting a reference from my current supervisor. (Not a confirmation of employment, but a positive reference.) I told them that was not acceptable, and after they thought about it for 10 days they said that the offer was revoked. I never did receive the offer in writing. I have been working in the IT industry for 30 years and never heard of anything like this before. There must be so many unemployed or laid off people out there to whom this is not an issue that employers can pretty much do whatever they want in the interview provess. And then they will complain that they can't find good people.

Well that did sound BIZARRE since you were currently employed

Old 02-02-2016, 12:42 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,493,598 times
I know it is an old thread.
Let's say your department depends on you and your talent a lot more than on anyone else. Then a hiring manager calling your boss to ask about you. What will your boss say? "he is very good, please take him", or "he is an idiot, he gets into trouble all the time and does a lousy job"?
With this practice they can only hire people who were already about to be laid off due to mediocrity/incompetence.
And if you are very good at what you do, then you have no chance of getting another/better job.
If they do this behind your back without your permission, then you cant even defend yourself, as they will not tell you they talked to your boss (being afraid of lawsuits).
This stupidity is widespread, and those idiots just don't get it.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:25 PM

298 posts, read 204,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I would have said no and if that answer wasn't good enough then I would have just moved on. I never in my life heard of a employer asking to call your CURRENT employer
Of course. In my 20 years of work neither have I. What for? So the current boss can fire you and you have no new job lined up? Suicide.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:21 PM

17,259 posts, read 10,188,976 times
My last 3 applications for jobs that I got offered, had a section under the current employer/supervisor listed where you had a choice if you wanted them contacted or not.

I always checked no and never had a problem with that. They were contacted after I got the offer.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
... They were contacted after I got the offer.
What happens if you got the offer, and after that they contact your boss? What is the purpose of contacting him? A possible cancellation of the offer, what else could it be? That leads back to the original problem.
2 possible cases here:
1. If you are NOT important in your current job: boss gives bad reference, offer is canceled, and getting fired for "looking". If you are leaving/betraying then why not ********* over and prevent you from having a job anywhere.
2. If you are important in your current job: boss gives bad reference, offer is canceled. Cant get another job if your boss wants to keep you and he is dishonest.
The only way your current boss will give you a good reference, is if he is your best friend. Maybe companies looking for people who are "best friends with their bosses".

Last edited by buenos; 02-02-2016 at 02:48 PM..

Old 02-03-2016, 11:11 AM

3,781 posts, read 2,998,505 times
I have had this happen once as well, my employment offer was contingent on speaking to my current supervisor. My boss was great, we had a very good relationship, and I knew he wouldn't mind. In fact, he joked with me about it. Of course, he was disappointed that I was leaving, but he was and is a fair and professional person.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
.... Of course, he was disappointed that I was leaving, but he was and is a fair and professional person.
You are lucky. I am not so much.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:44 PM

17,259 posts, read 10,188,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
What happens if you got the offer, and after that they contact your boss? What is the purpose of contacting him? A possible cancellation of the offer, what else could it be? That leads back to the original problem.
2 possible cases here:
1. If you are NOT important in your current job: boss gives bad reference, offer is canceled, and getting fired for "looking". If you are leaving/betraying then why not ********* over and prevent you from having a job anywhere.
2. If you are important in your current job: boss gives bad reference, offer is canceled. Cant get another job if your boss wants to keep you and he is dishonest.
The only way your current boss will give you a good reference, is if he is your best friend. Maybe companies looking for people who are "best friends with their bosses".
As I stated, my supervisor was contacted after I got the job, and they gave me good references.

I suppose if you didn't get along with your supervisor, they could give you a bad reference, sure that is a risk. But I never experienced that because throughout my life, I have always had good relations with my supervisors. I was always self motivated, worked my butt off, never complained, tried to be friendly with everyone, and just do my job. Sounds basic, but it has served me well throughout my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
I have had this happen once as well, my employment offer was contingent on speaking to my current supervisor. My boss was great, we had a very good relationship, and I knew he wouldn't mind. In fact, he joked with me about it. Of course, he was disappointed that I was leaving, but he was and is a fair and professional person.
I experienced both situations, one where I let the company know they could contact my current supervisor, and the other where I said not to contact them.

The one where I noted they could contact my supervisor, I did so because for some reason my sup found out I was interviewing for the job. This was because he knew someone at the place I was applying for. But I always had great relations with him, so it was no big deal and he fully supported me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or