Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:33 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,557,715 times

Advertisements

After posting the following at http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...y-satuday.html, I thought that it deserved it own thread:

In her first piece, "Was Paul a Jew?" (http://tinyurl.com/yhbps6s - broken link), as a columnist for Tablet, Judith Shulevitz writes about a new school of thought on Paul: The apostle, long considered the progenitor of anti-Semitism, may never have left his Judaism behind.

Judith Shulevitz was the editor of Lingua Franca and the founding culture editor of Slate. She wrote a daily column for Slate and a biweekly column for The New York Times Book Review. Her book, "The Sabbath World: Glimpses of a Different Order of Time", was published in March by Random House. This article is the first in a series rethinking the lives and legacies of prominent Jews.

Tablet is a daily online magazine of Jewish news, ideas, and culture. Launched in June 2009, it's a project of the not-for-profit Nextbook Inc. and the sister organization of Nextbook Press, which publishes a line of Jewish-themed books. Their archive holds all the articles and features that originally appeared on the website Nextbook.org.

H/T: jta.org

Old 08-11-2010, 09:44 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,666,705 times
Paul was a Jew who cherry picked the Jewish laws to suit the emerging culture of that time. All religions evolve in this same manner.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:14 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,899,935 times
There is a lot to think about in that link, unfortunately, arriving at an informed opinion would necessitate reading the support authors.

But thanks for the link.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,620,831 times
Paul himself said he is a Jew.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:53 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,470,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Paul was a Jew who cherry picked the Jewish laws to suit the emerging culture of that time.
I don't think Paul was trying to "suit an emerging culture," because at the time, there was no such thing as Christianity. I think he was consciously laying the foundation for a different religion, although apparently it wasn't one for which he was willing to give up his own in order to practice. (I guess that would've made him a bit of a hypocrite, but as we say here in Brooklyn, waddaya gonna do? I'm sure he had his reasons).

Old 08-11-2010, 12:58 PM

454 posts, read 497,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
After posting the following at http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...y-satuday.html, I thought that it deserved it own thread:

In her first piece, "Was Paul a Jew?" (http://tinyurl.com/yhbps6s - broken link), as a columnist for Tablet, Judith Shulevitz writes about a new school of thought on Paul: The apostle, long considered the progenitor of anti-Semitism, may never have left his Judaism behind.

Judith Shulevitz was the editor of Lingua Franca and the founding culture editor of Slate. She wrote a daily column for Slate and a biweekly column for The New York Times Book Review. Her book, "The Sabbath World: Glimpses of a Different Order of Time", was published in March by Random House. This article is the first in a series rethinking the lives and legacies of prominent Jews.

Tablet is a daily online magazine of Jewish news, ideas, and culture. Launched in June 2009, it's a project of the not-for-profit Nextbook Inc. and the sister organization of Nextbook Press, which publishes a line of Jewish-themed books. Their archive holds all the articles and features that originally appeared on the website Nextbook.org.

H/T: jta.org
Phillipians 3:4-7
[4] Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
[5] Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
[6] Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
[7] But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:08 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,620,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I don't think Paul was trying to "suit an emerging culture," because at the time, there was no such thing as Christianity. I think he was consciously laying the foundation for a different religion, although apparently it wasn't one for which he was willing to give up his own in order to practice. (I guess that would've made him a bit of a hypocrite, but as we say here in Brooklyn, waddaya gonna do? I'm sure he had his reasons).
He was willing to give up his life for Christ and if he had been required to give up his religion, what makes you think he would not have? He didn't have to.

He became a "fulfilled Jew", what several hundred thousand (don't know the exact count, last I heard there are over 100,000 in the US) Messianic Jews understand and relate to.

Jesus came to fulfill the Law, not do away with it. Paul was thorough Jewish and thoroughly Christian. Jesus was not a Christian. He was a Jew as well.

Understand the Messianic Jew and you will understand the true meaning of the term Judeo-Christian.

Last edited by swbtoo; 08-11-2010 at 04:41 PM..

Old 08-11-2010, 05:00 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,309,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Paul was a Jew who cherry picked the Jewish laws to suit the emerging culture of that time.
Paul took from a little bit from Judaism and a whole lot from paganism, to create a new religion; Christianity. Christianity is a paganistic religion in which the prophet Jesus is worshipped as a god.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:54 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,470,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
He was willing to give up his life for Christ and if he had been required to give up his religion, what makes you think he would not have?
What makes me think so? Because Paul was the single individual who did more than anyone else to establish Christianity (which he did using Jesus of Nazareth as its focal point). If there was any accuracy involved, the entire religion would actually be known as Paulism. He wasn't "giving up his life," as you put it, for anyone.

And as far as "fulfilled Jews" go--there isn't any such thing. That's just a euphemism to explain Jews who, for whatever reasons they may have, converted. (As a Jew, by the way, I resent that condescension. I'm not "fulfilled" until and unless I adopt Christianity? Never heard such nonsense in my life!)

Old 08-12-2010, 03:18 AM

50,079 posts, read 20,479,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Paul took from a little bit from Judaism and a whole lot from paganism, to create a new religion; Christianity. Christianity is a paganistic religion in which the prophet Jesus is worshipped as a god.
Pretty much . Just wanted to say I luuurve your name .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.