Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:22 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post

As to who defines who is a Jew, any person who wants to join the Jewish people ought to be able to.
I had a question about biblical support for Jewish conversion but before asking my question I did a little research and ran across a few articles which answered it and so I'm going to share them here.

Jewish Conversion - Historical Background of converts to Judaism

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/life...ervative.shtml

http://www.jewishideas.org/min-hamuv...fa-and-histori
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 08:32 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I had a question about biblical support for Jewish conversion but before asking my question I did a little research and ran across a few articles which answered it and so I'm going to share them here.

Jewish Conversion - Historical Background of converts to Judaism

Conversion History: Orthodox and Conservative Understandings - My Jewish Learning

Conversion to Judaism: Halakha, Hashkafa, and Historic Challenge | Institute for Jewish Ideas and Ideals

great! Lots of information.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:57 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
great! Lots of information.
My wife, and as a result, THE KID are both Jews. My wife (100% house of David) is an atheist "cultural Jew" and THE KID, I'm not sure about. But one thing that pisses me off to no end is the having to take part in the various Jewish holidays where no one seems to take the rituals seriously. For me, if you are going to have these religious observances, culturally or not, they need to be approached with some degree of seriousness and solemnity. My wife accuses me of being an old Hassid, which isn't at all true despite my affection for Fedoras and long beards.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:58 AM

138 posts, read 181,628 times
My closest friend is Jewish and related the following: one may go to a Rabbi and seek conversion. He will turn you away. If you return, again he will turn you away. If you return, he will speak with you and if you remain serious, you may begin the conversion process.

She said this practice hails from the belief shared by all Jews, that there is nothing superior about their religion, and there is no need for conversion. If you continue to feel the desire to convert after being turned away twice, then they will accept you into their faith and you will become one of them.

Beautiful and inspiring! I am always moved when I learn that a religious group holds such ideas. So different from others who think their way is the only way. I think all ways are "the way." Like the teachings of Taoism: Taoism means "The way." "Flow like the watercourse way of the Tao."

Old 09-28-2010, 09:06 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yentlyvette View Post
What does it mean to be Jewish? How is a Jew defined by a nationality, ethnicity, universal or ethnic religion, history, personal beliefs, or what? The current controversy over what it means to be Jewish has political, economic, and religious ramification. What does it mean to you to be Jewish?
Just for the record, there isn't such a big "controversy." Not among those of us who happen to be Jewish, anyway.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
My wife, and as a result, THE KID are both Jews. My wife (100% house of David) is an atheist "cultural Jew" and THE KID, I'm not sure about. But one thing that pisses me off to no end is the having to take part in the various Jewish holidays where no one seems to take the rituals seriously. For me, if you are going to have these religious observances, culturally or not, they need to be approached with some degree of seriousness and solemnity. My wife accuses me of being an old Hassid, which isn't at all true despite my affection for Fedoras and long beards.

lol! Well we have that in my community. Religious Jews, cultural Jews, atheists, theists. We meet somewhere in the middle.

Although the highlight of our community activities are the holidays and the rituals.

But I will tell you when I converted the rabbi I worked with who is not affiliated but has a very traditional/spiritual side gave me a painting of a traditional Jew wearing a traditional talit, holding a lulav and etrog. Long white beard.

Moshe (his name) hangs over our fireplace to remind us of tradition.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:21 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Your children chose to be Jewish? Without any "help"?
?
You do understand that one's children can be adults, who can make a choice to be something or not.

I am a Jew, who decided to follow Christ, but deep down inside I still feel Jewish.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:19 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by light1111 View Post
My closest friend is Jewish and related the following: one may go to a Rabbi and seek conversion. He will turn you away. If you return, again he will turn you away. If you return, he will speak with you and if you remain serious, you may begin the conversion process.
Sort of like Tyler Durden?

As someone who isn't Jewish I think the English language needs a term that is all inclusive for those who are Jews by religion or by matrilineal descent even if they don't practice the faith, and reserve the term "Jew" for those who follow the Jewish faith. Just my opinion.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Sort of like Tyler Durden?

As someone who isn't Jewish I think the English language needs a term that is all inclusive for those who are Jews by religion or by matrilineal descent even if they don't practice the faith, and reserve the term "Jew" for those who follow the Jewish faith. Just my opinion.

So only those who practice Judaism ought to be called Jews and everyone else needs to have a different name?

What do you mean "Jews by religion"

Could you clarify your point please.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:28 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Quote:
so only those who practice Judaism ought to be called Jews and everyone else needs to have a different name?
No, the broader term would include both religious Jews and people who are Jewish through matrilineal descent but don't believe in the Jewish faith. An all inclusive term (Hebrew perhaps?), and then a term that refers specifically to the religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism