Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:13 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,309 times

Advertisements

find themselves in a precarious position these days. If they sound uneducated, illiterate, foolish, etc. the impression they leave is one which will cause those who are walking a tight line between believing and not believing to go south. I tuned across at least half a dozen religious channels and guess what? Most of them sound more than just foolish.

When somebody stands before hundreds of thousands or even millions and sound like what they're telling came directly from the creator of the universe they can't help sounding foolish. It's like the guys a few years ago who told that aliens came in a space ship and took them to the planet easelfod or someplace for a thorough physical examination...biopsy and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 09:18 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,724 times
That's why I don't think just anyone should be able to call themselves a preacher, priest etc... At least a college degree of some sort should be required for the positions. If a church does hire some one without them I suppose it's there decision though.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:56 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
That's why I don't think just anyone should be able to call themselves a preacher, priest etc... At least a college degree of some sort should be required for the positions. If a church does hire some one without them I suppose it's there decision though.
Any church I was ever in referred to it as an individual's "calling." The lord was supposed to call a Christian into the proper service. Many have gone into the ministry as old or older than forty.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Any church I was ever in referred to it as an individual's "calling." The lord was supposed to call a Christian into the proper service. Many have gone into the ministry as old or older than forty.
Calling required yes, but to me personally I prefer listening to an educated individual. My priest has a history degree.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:24 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:

All the Rabbis I know went to school for years to become Rabbis, and they continue to expand what they know. They are educated, intelligent people.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:13 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Oh, god I heard this claptrap my whole childhood. My parents moved us around all the time, because one or the other of them "got the call" that told them to move. And they aren't even pastors in their cult.

By the time I left their home, we'd moved 17 times. Yeah, not fun.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:15 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Oh, god I heard this claptrap my whole childhood. My parents moved us around all the time, because one or the other of them "got the call" that told them to move. And they aren't even pastors in their cult.

By the time I left their home, we'd moved 17 times. Yeah, not fun.

omg........

Old 10-28-2010, 11:19 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
omg........
Yep. Many is the time when we'd be at the dinner table, and my mom or my dad would fold their hands, bow their head and intone "I got the call today". My heart would sink, and I would know it was time to start packing and say goodbye to whatever friends I'd managed to make.

Longest time we lived anywhere when I was growing up was just under two years. Shortest time was three months. It sucked.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Yep. Many is the time when we'd be at the dinner table, and my mom or my dad would fold their hands, bow their head and intone "I got the call today". My heart would sink, and I would know it was time to start packing and say goodbye to whatever friends I'd managed to make.

Longest time we lived anywhere when I was growing up was just under two years. Shortest time was three months. It sucked.
You know what I find amazing? Churches without regulations on where their clergy goes seem to always get the call to Mallibu instead of poverty stricken areas haha

Old 10-28-2010, 11:39 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
"Priests, Rabbis, Preachers, Ministers, Reverends, et al"
are propaganda ministers for the Status Quo and America's Military-Industrial Complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism