Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 03:25 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
I think dressing up is fun...
Certainly is, on Purim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 11:43 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
I don't understand why Jews are kowtowing to Catholic anti-Pagan propaganda.

The entire premise of the pre-Christian Celtic holiday, Samhain, having the slightest thing to do with Satan (a god foreign to the ancient Celts) is simply false.

Now, it is a holiday with customs rooted in heathen European beliefs (albeit extremely tenuously, in fact I would say that the Western Christmas is far more chock full of Heathen significance) and if that is inconsistent with raising a child as a good Jew, then fair enough, but to use old Catholic chestnuts (Pagans worship Satan!!) to invalidate a popular children's holiday seems just weird.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:06 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

The entire premise of the pre-Christian Celtic holiday, Samhain, having the slightest thing to do with Satan (a god foreign to the ancient Celts) is simply false.

Now, it is a holiday with customs rooted in heathen European beliefs (albeit extremely tenuously, in fact I would say that the Western Christmas is far more chock full of Heathen significance) and if that is inconsistent with raising a child as a good Jew, then fair enough, but to use old Catholic chestnuts (Pagans worship Satan!!) to invalidate a popular children's holiday seems just weird.
All Jews are not "kowtowing" , and many Jewish kids dressed up in costumes and went out to get candy.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Pagan, as well as Christian, practices are forbidden to Jews.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:33 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
If we kowtow to anything, unfortunately it is the God of Hallmark. Sending out cards for Rosh Hashanah or Chanukah was never a Jewish tradition.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:01 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,577 times
The title of this post is a little misleading...

The Orthodox Jewish community that I used to be a part of (recently disaffiliated...but lived Orthodox for 7 years) had about 70% of the synagogue members giving out candy for Halloween. Our rabbi never said anything one way or the other about it (he himself didn't give out...because he was in an apartment building; but he may have years ago).

The idea of Jews getting dressed up and going around collecting candy is a bit silly and redundant; since there is the Jewish holiday of Purim that has a very similar premise (dressing up...getting candy...although not from door-to-door, but through gift baskets).

Old 11-04-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
The idea of Jews getting dressed up and going around collecting candy is a bit silly and redundant; since there is the Jewish holiday of Purim that has a very similar premise (dressing up...getting candy...although not from door-to-door, but through gift baskets).
Big exception: rather than going door-to-door seeking candy, on Purim Jews go door-to-door to delivering Mishloach Manot (=baskets of food and sweets).

Old 11-04-2011, 12:32 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Big exception: rather than going door-to-door seeking candy, on Purim Jews go door-to-door to delivering Mishloach Manot (=baskets of food and sweets).
That makes sense. Very similar to what we do on Eid Fitr.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:22 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,553,938 times
Where I live Walter, getting suburban kids to walk around outdoors at night is a nes gadol. There is no halacha against doing so, or asking for candy. or dressing up even on a day other than purim. If you dont do so to honor pagan gods or "all saints" but consider it a "fall festival" and you dont dress up in a way that implies belief in non-Jewish attitudes toward the dead, I think its compatible with a mekulah approach to minhag ha goyim. Its NOT the optimal thing to do - but halloween has far less manifest non - Jewish content than even a relatively secularized christmas. While I think most observant C Jews dont do halloween trick or treating - I think for the many less observant C Jews who do, this is a borderline aveirah - like eating veggie foods from a non-vegetarian treif restaurant - not like eating pork.

Of course when halloween falls on shabbat thats a different story.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:23 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,553,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Certainly is, on Purim.

its a lot easier to find costumes in October, even if you WON'T wear them till Purim (for those who make their own, mazel tov)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism