Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 11:31 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,596,365 times

Advertisements

According to, Poland has largest gathering of rabbis since WWII (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_POLAND_RABBI_GATHERING?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEM PLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-11-01-12-15-13 - broken link), dozens of rabbis from across Europe have gathered in Warsaw for the largest meeting of Jewish religious leaders in Poland since the community was virtually wiped out during World War II.

Poland was home to Europe's largest Jewish community before the war, numbering nearly 3.5 million. Most were murdered in ghettos and death camps that Germany built after invading and occupying Poland in 1939.

Over the last 30 years, the Jewish population in Poland has grown from just a few thousand to over 20,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 07:54 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,509,793 times
My maternal grandfather came from Poland. He told my mother stories about Poles getting drunk at Christmastime and looking for Jews to beat up (if not kill). And my grandfather wasn't from the sticks--he was born in Warsaw.

Being a Jew in Poland was no walk in the park then, and I doubt it's much better now.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Calling a Polish Catholic a "Pole" and a Polish Jew a "Jew" is Polish anti-Semitism.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-10-2011 at 06:54 AM..

Old 11-02-2011, 03:43 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,217,392 times
I had a great time in Krakow last summer, I enjoyed the International Jewish Festival.
Good fun, good music, good food, great people.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:46 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,509,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Calling a Polish Catholic a "Pole" and a Polish Jew a "Jew" is Polish anti-Semitism.
Another thing I learned via my maternal grandparents was that Jews weren't allowed to be citizens; it didn't matter if they'd been living there for centuries. They were never referred to as Poles--they were always Jews. Catholic Poles were also pretty good at turning Jews in to the Nazis. So you'll have to pardon me if I don't observe all the usual niceties.

Forgive and forget? Forgive, maybe. Forget, never!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Another thing I learned via my maternal grandparents was that Jews weren't allowed to be citizens; it didn't matter if they'd been living there for centuries.
Actually, Napoleon made Jews citizens of the country they were in during his conquest of most of Europe during the early 19th Century, and even after he was defeated, Jews remained citizens; in many cases ill-treated citizens, but still citizens.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:20 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,832,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I had a great time in Krakow last summer, I enjoyed the International Jewish Festival.
Good fun, good music, good food, great people.

So is the world going to be a better place next year? I vote Yes. I wish I was a Greek though.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:22 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,877,222 times
Quote:
Another thing I learned via my maternal grandparents was that Jews weren't allowed to be citizens
That is very sad, Fred.

It is kind of like the Muslims living in Israeli-occupied territory on the west side of the Jordan River.

I agree - we can admire people who forgive being mistreated, but we cannot blame them if they do not forget.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Another thing I learned via my maternal grandparents was that Jews weren't allowed to be citizens; it didn't matter if they'd been living there for centuries. They were never referred to as Poles--they were always Jews. Catholic Poles were also pretty good at turning Jews in to the Nazis. So you'll have to pardon me if I don't observe all the usual niceties.
In Nu? What's New? Vol. 11 No. 10 | May 30, 2010, the E-Zone of Jewish Genealogy from Avotaynu, the editor, Gary Mokotoff writes:
Quote:
Jews of the Kaisiadorys Region of Lithuania is the first book I have seen written by a Lithuanian that admits Lithuanian Christians participated in the Holocaust. It explicitly states that local civilians, in addition to the German Einsatzgruppen, plundered and systematically murdered the Jews.

Yet the author falls into the trap that is one of the underlying seeds of anti-Semitism in Eastern Europe through the centuries; that Jews are thought of not as part of the local population, but a group apart. The author refers to two groups of people who lived in the area: Lithuanians and Jews. Not Lithuanian Christians and Lithuania Jews, but Lithuanians and Jews. This was dramatically brought to my attention by the caption in one of the more than 200 pictures in the book. It originally said, “Jews and Lithuanians form the junior football team in Žiežmariai circa 1937.” I had the author change it to “Jews and non-Jews form the junior football team in Žiežmariai circa 1937.” In my request to him, I commented that had this been a book about the Jews of Philadelphia, would he have referred to the two groups of people as Philadelphians and Jews?

Old 11-03-2011, 11:03 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,098,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Unfortunately Walter this was common. Most of my family (grandparents) came from Austria in the area known as Galicia. Because of changes in the borders and wars, it now part of modern day Ukraine. My family came from an area known as Sambir which is close to the western border with Poland. I occasionally speak to individuals from the areas that I have become friends with during my travels and over the years it has gotten worse. Ukraine is highly anti-semetic to this day and most of the previous structures including synagogues and jewish graveyards have been destroyed or covered over or overgrown. On yahoo there is a group with alot of facts related to these areas of Ukraine/Poland/Galicia. I do have alot of anymosity about what happened but I can't blame people that weren't born when this happened; but I too can never forget the facts. I know at least 11 members of my family that perished during this travesty that I uncovered while doing genealogical research, 2 of them being my grandfathers parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism