Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:27 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,362,768 times

Advertisements

Mystic, let me suggest you stick around in this thread a bit longer. When I became religions 10 or so years ago (I was raised a fully secular Jew), I was constantly "lost," whether it be in the prayer services, or in simple conversation with my new crowd of obervant Jews. Over time, I asked a few questions, figured a few others out on my own by using the context, and bam, here we are today. i know the transient nature of an internet forum doesn't lend itself as well to this type of progression on your part, but like i said, stick around, you might learn something in between all the confusin terms. And like others said, there's always google and asking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
In THAT sense i completely agree. I know jewish men who wear kippot, but dont keep minimal kashrut (they eat shrimp). I think thats an incorrect approach. I generally do not wear a kippah in public except in synagogue or when davening, etc - IOW not in places where wearing one is associated with being observant, because I am not yet shomer shabbos, and I feel that it would be dishonest, and confusing to observers.
BBD, I didn't start wearing my yarmulke in public until I was fully shomer Shabbos, kosher, taharas hamishpaka, etc. And then it would be another 3-4 years before I wore my yarmulke to work.

When I dealt with a small (B'H") time of unemployment last year, my parents (close to their 70s in age) begged me with tears in their eyes not to interview for jobs with a yarmulke on my head. But I did not listen to them. I needed unending chizuk from my wife and my rav, but in the end, it all worked out. And now I'm the only frum yid with a yarmulke in a building with perhaps 400 people in it. But I try to always be on the up-and-up. No swearing. No lack of tznius (modesty). I try to dress nicely. So the yarmulke has become a source of Kiddush Hashem (praising G-d's name), even if there are times when I feel just a bit less than 100% comfortable (like when women try to shake my hand when we greet).

Old 12-30-2011, 09:45 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
"toiveled machmir treif kashered satmar afaict shechted chumras shailas psak halacha Kol va khomer mussar posek poskim staam frummest hecksher maris ayin"

Toiveled - rendered kosher, ritually pure (used of dishes and kitchen utensil, and yes its more complex than that, cause you can toyvel an already kosher meat dish to parve (neutral) status - this is really one term I dont know that well - flip?

machmir - strict. In this context, applying the stricter interpretions or rulings when questions about kashrut are at issue. A ruling is machmir, but we can also call a person machmir

Kashered - rendered ritually pure - made kosher.

Satmar - From hungarian Szatmar, roumanian Satu Mare. A very very extreme hassidic group whose origin was in the town of that name

afaict - as far as I can tell - a standard internet abbreviation

shechted - slaughtered - in this context slaughtered an animal for meat, using ritually correct methods

chumras - strictneness, strict rulings or customs - same root as machmir

shailas - questions - specifically questions on issues of jewish religious law, directed to a religious authority

psak - a ruling on a question of religious law

posek - a religious authority (usually a distinguished rabbi) who issues rulings on religious law - same root as psak

Posekim - plural of posek. two or more.

halacha - jewish religious law

kol va khomer - so much the more - a principle of reasoning from a minor to a major case - see the Latin "a fortiori"

mussar - ethics, a moral lesson or sermon, etc

staam - plain, ordinary. Staam yiddn "the jew on the street, the secular jews" Or "of uncertain status" Staam milk is milk that MIGHT have come from a kosher animal like a cow, but might have come from a pig, its origin has not been certified by a rabbi or similar religious authority.

frum - pious. very religious. orthodox
frummest - most frum.

hecksher - a letter or symbol indicating approval of a food item by a rabbinic organization - the k inside a circle or triangle you see on some foods - or the even more common "OU" (for Orthodox Union)

maris ayin - whats seen by the eye - problems created when someone does something with regard to religious laws that creates a misleading impression among those who are not fully informed. For example if a rabbi eats a cheeseburger made with vegan cheese - it could be kosher, but someone looking on might think it means regular cheese burgers are kosher. If he did so in a place where everyone knew only vegan "cheese" was used, it might not create that impression.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:46 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
"toiveled machmir treif kashered satmar afaict shechted chumras shailas psak halacha Kol va khomer mussar posek poskim staam frummest hecksher maris ayin"

Toiveled - rendered kosher, ritually pure (used of dishes and kitchen utensil, and yes its more complex than that, cause you can toyvel an already kosher meat dish to parve (neutral) status - this is really one term I dont know that well - flip?

machmir - strict. In this context, applying the stricter interpretions or rulings when questions about kashrut are at issue. A ruling is machmir, but we can also call a person machmir

Kashered - rendered ritually pure - made kosher.

Satmar - From hungarian Szatmar, roumanian Satu Mare. A very very extreme hassidic group whose origin was in the town of that name

afaict - as far as I can tell - a standard internet abbreviation

shechted - slaughtered - in this context slaughtered an animal for meat, using ritually correct methods

chumras - strictneness, strict rulings or customs - same root as machmir

shailas - questions - specifically questions on issues of jewish religious law, directed to a religious authority

psak - a ruling on a question of religious law

posek - a religious authority (usually a distinguished rabbi) who issues rulings on religious law - same root as psak

Posekim - plural of posek. two or more.

halacha - jewish religious law

kol va khomer - so much the more - a principle of reasoning from a minor to a major case - see the Latin "a fortiori"

mussar - ethics, a moral lesson or sermon, etc

staam - plain, ordinary. Staam yiddn "the jew on the street, the secular jews" Or "of uncertain status" Staam milk is milk that MIGHT have come from a kosher animal like a cow, but might have come from a pig, we cant be sure.

frum - pious. very religious. orthodox
frummest - most frum.

hecksher - a letter or symbol indicating approval of a food item by a rabbinic organization - the k inside a circle or triangle you see on some foods - or the even more common "OU" (for Orthodox Union)

maris ayin - whats seen by the eye - problems created when someone does something with regard to religious laws that creates a misleading impression among those who are not fully informed. For example if a rabbi eats a cheeseburger made with vegan cheese - it could be kosher, but someone looking on might think it means regular cheese burgers are kosher. If he did so in a place where everyone knew only vegan "cheese" was used, it might not create that impression.

Toda Raba!!! Thank you very much!!!!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:51 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,583 times
People too lazy to google things bother me.

Thanks brooklyndad for the in depth definitions though! A good read.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 AM

Yes, very well done, BBD.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
And these are town where you'll find Orthodox Jews. In places where you will not typically find Orthodox Jews, you will not find any kosher restaurants.
quibble. While I doubt there are any metro areas with no O jews but with kosher restaurants (because such metros seldom have observant C jews) there ARE a handful of restaurants with only C hashgacha (kosher supervision) and in at least one or two instances, they are the only kosher restaurant in that particular suburb. I think there is one instance in suffolk county NY of that. I know a soup place in DC that was under the local C rabbi, but that has since gotten O hasgacha (but NOT the local Vaad ) there are of course other kosher restaurants in DC that ARE under the Vaad.

There are a considerable number of kosher bakeries under C supervision in all kinds of places- a reflection of the substantial demand for baked goods for use at kiddush in C synagogues.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:15 AM

BBD, what would drive a bakery to get a Conservative heksher as opposed to an Orthodox one? Right or wrong, barely a single Orthodox jew would step foot in a Conservative supervised bakery. Seems like they're passing up dollars.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:17 AM

flip

the word i was looking for - mehadrin.

To enforce or follow a stricter standard than one's personal hashkaha requires. This is SUCH a common approach, we actually have a word for it.

your thoughts?

Old 12-30-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
BBD, what would drive a bakery to get a Conservative heksher as opposed to an Orthodox one? Right or wrong, barely a single Orthodox jew would step foot in a Conservative supervised bakery. Seems like they're passing up dollars.

a cheaper or more convenient hashgacha - the local rabbi may really be doing it to assure his shul a supply of cookies for kiddush, and he might do it for free or almost for free. And there may be no O rabbi in the area. Which also means no O customers. Unlike a restaurant, the demand is not from the small number of strictly kosher observant C jews - but from the synagogues for their functions - including EVERY oneg and kiddush, social events, etc, etc.

Im also not sure every O jew would pass it up - IF they checked and were sure that there were no differences at issue between their particular approach to kashrut and what the rabbi was enforcing. How often do swordfish, cheese, wine, the ability to kasher pyrex, etc, come up in a bakery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism