Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:04 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,372 times

Advertisements

Our family friend keeps strict kosher, so furthermore you can't even bring non-kosher foods past his home's threshold. He doesn't go up in arms if you make the mistake, but will gently turn you around with a smile.

There are several kosher Chinese places in Southern California, and a few halal Chinese restaurants. There should be no problem with vegan restaurants too, provided they're strictly vegan, right? If no utensils have ever had non-vegan use? With the prohibition of fermentation only during Passover?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 12:24 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Our family friend keeps strict kosher, so furthermore you can't even bring non-kosher foods past his home's threshold. He doesn't go up in arms if you make the mistake, but will gently turn you around with a smile.

There are several kosher Chinese places in Southern California, and a few halal Chinese restaurants. There should be no problem with vegan restaurants too, provided they're strictly vegan, right? If no utensils have ever had non-vegan use? With the prohibition of fermentation only during Passover?
Bunjee, I know there are Jews who will eat in vegan restaurants, but it still doesn't solve the issue of supervision. Without a Vaad actively supervising a restaurant, even a vegan one, who is there to assure the Observant Jew that there are not any unkosher items in the food? Keep in mind, there are countless vegan foods on the average supermarket shelf that are not kosher. And a vegan restaurant can easily use these items to prepare its food. Nope, I will not step foot in a vegan restaurant unless it is supervised by the Vaad HaKashrus.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:27 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,650 times
Thanks for than answers ya'll. I appreciate it. This is how understanding between cultures is built.

I dated a Jewish girl long ago, but her family was Reform. They went to "temple" (I think that was the word they used; I could be wrong. It was a long time ago), but I could tell they were not all that religious in any case. I suppose so since they allowed they daughter to date an American Indian who graduated from a Catholic School but practiced tribal beliefs and is a powwow dancer. Her parents were all good with it, but her grandmother didn't seem to be so much.

Last edited by Fullback32; 12-28-2011 at 01:24 PM..

Old 12-28-2011, 01:49 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Keep in mind, there are countless vegan foods on the average supermarket shelf that are not kosher.
They may well be kosher, but they are not certified kosher.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:02 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've noticed similar levels of observance with vegetarian Hindus. One of my coworkers always goes to lunch with us--he just orders a vegetarian meal--while another, a Jain, will not even go into a restaurant where meat is served. Yet another Hindu in my office does eat chicken and fish.

That happens with Jews too. There are the most observant who will not eat anywhere other then their own house.

There are those who will eat in a kosher restaurant or at the home of another Jew that they know has the same level of observance they do.

There are those who who follow the rules but don't use separate pots and pans or plates and silver wear.

There are those who only eat vegetarian.

There are several levels of following the laws of kashrut among Jews.

Most of my friends are kosher to different degrees.

But the orthodox will say there is only one way, but the reality is there are different levels of observance among the many Jewish movements.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
That happens with Jews too. There are the most observant who will not eat anywhere other then their own house.

There are those who will eat in a kosher restaurant or at the home of another Jew that they know has the same level of observance they do.

There are those who who follow the rules but don't use separate pots and pans or plates and silver wear.

There are those who only eat vegetarian.

There are several levels of following the laws of kashrut among Jews.

Most of my friends are kosher to different degrees.

But the orthodox will say there is only one way, but the reality is there are different levels of observance among the many Jewish movements.
I can agree with your whole post, jazzymom. but what you didn't say, is that although jews practice their kashrus observance in many varying ways, that does not mean the Torah offered as many possibilities on how to practice. The Torah gives it one way, then the Jew has to learn that and then decide how they want to practice it themselves, and then live with the consequences of that decision. (sorry, I'm not trying to single you out and always argue with you, but you and I must come to an agreement on the difference between the various ways Jews act, and the way the Torah tells us to act. They are not one and the same)

Old 12-28-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I can agree with your whole post, jazzymom. but what you didn't say, is that although jews practice their kashrus observance in many varying ways, that does not mean the Torah offered as many possibilities on how to practice. The Torah gives it one way, then the Jew has to learn that and then decide how they want to practice it themselves, and then live with the consequences of that decision. (sorry, I'm not trying to single you out and always argue with you, but you and I must come to an agreement on the difference between the various ways Jews act, and the way the Torah tells us to act. They are not one and the same)

Jews have put fences around the law and made it more difficult then it needs to be.

Some of these rules have fences around fences......

So how the ultra orthodox, orthodox, modern orthodox, conservative and reform see it will be different.

There is not just one way to eat as a Jew or to follow the Torah.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Jews have put fences around the law and made it more difficult then it needs to be.

Some of these rules have fences around fences......

So how the ultra orthodox, orthodox, modern orthodox, conservative and reform see it will be different.

There is not just one way to eat as a Jew or to follow the Torah.
You are correct, jazzymom. Some of the fences have fences around them, and I'll admit I tend to gravitate to those chumras. Yet you must agree that some of the fences are too broad and are not actually guarding anything. Just because some (or many) Jews decide to follow those broad liberal fences, doesn't mean that was the ichur of the halacha. Can you see that?

Old 12-28-2011, 03:31 PM

Does the Torah tell you to have 2 stoves? 2 refrigerators? 2 sets of plates? No it doesn't.

The Torah tells you not to boil a kid in its mothers milk.

It does not give specifics, but out of this we get don't mix milk with meat. Ok that is fine. But just to make sure a rule is not transgressed we now get to have 2 sets of pots and pans and dishes to eat because we might have a tiny speck of the other and it will mix together.

We take fences and make the original rule very difficult.

Do not mix milk and meat. Kill an animal humanely. Do not kill a baby in front of its mother.

How each group sees it is different but again that is ok.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:34 PM

I get what you're saying, jazzymom. You're not incorrect. We're just laser-focusing in from different viewpoints. The good news, is that we are both focused on the proper questions, and then making life/morality decisions based on that focus. This is as it's intended to be for us Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism