Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 05:39 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,832 times

Advertisements

Thanks iwish and JB for the explanation. I like the rationale behind keeping the peyos.

"Hair is also a symbol of vanity, a preoccupation of how one looks. The prohibition against cutting off the peyos reminds a person to de-emphasize his looks, and instead depend on intellect and good character. (Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch, 19th century Germany)"

Old 03-09-2014, 07:16 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,386,974 times
Hi all I am new to the Judaism part of city data so forgive me if you guys have already answered these questions.

1. what is eden in the Jewish mind? I have read that Jews call it Gan eden, is there a difference?

2. What is the Jewish thoughts on hell? I have read that the early Jews believed hell is a 12 month place of purification, is this correct and do you still believe that today?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:36 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
Gan is the Hebrew word for garden; gan eden means "garden of Eden" in Hebrew.

Our thoughts on the afterlife are varied, and just about everything from reincarnation to a literal resurrection can be found. Some of us do believe in a purifying phase for the soul after death, although a full year is reserved for only the most wicked of souls.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post

Our thoughts on the afterlife are varied, and just about everything from reincarnation to a literal resurrection can be found. Some of us do believe in a purifying phase for the soul after death, although a full year is reserved for only the most wicked of souls.
Thanks for the quick reply JB.

So the Jewish thoughts on hell are just a varied as the christians thoughts on hell are. interesting.

So for those of you that believe hell is a purifing phase do you believe that after the soul has been puified that it goes to heaven?

Which I guess begs another question.

What is the Jewish thought on Heaven?

Old 03-09-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:

Jb your explained what Gan eden means (my Thanks), however you did not explain the Jewsh thought on what eden is or represents. Is it just a garden eastword in eden or is it something else?

Old 03-09-2014, 08:33 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Thanks for the quick reply JB.

So the Jewish thoughts on hell are just a varied as the christians thoughts on hell are. interesting.

So for those of you that believe hell is a purifing phase do you believe that after the soul has been puified that it goes to heaven?

Which I guess begs another question.

What is the Jewish thought on Heaven?
Like I said, our understanding of the afterlife is varied.

I can't say that I've met many who believe in a heaven like the Christian version. In Judaism, our term for the afterlife is olam ha-ba, or "the world to come". It tends to incorporate the idea of resurrection rather than an eternity in a spiritual place. As for "purified" souls, I reckon they would be reunited with our Creator in some fashion until the olam ha-ba comes to be.

Quote:
Jb your explained what Gan eden means (my Thanks), however you did not explain the Jewsh thought on what eden is or represents. Is it just a garden eastword in eden or is it something else?
For me, it represents the beginning of our creation; a time when mankind was in our infancy and, like an infant, we were shielded and in the direct care of our Creator. It also represents our " coming of age"; the time when we realized the gifts He gave us and sent us into the world so that we could reach our fullest potential.

I know these answers probably aren't as definitive as you want, but Judaism is a religion where we look at things in many different ways and on many different levels. There's a saying that if you ask two Jews a question you'll get three answers, and it's true with our religious outlook as well. Please don't take my responses as being the only possible ones; they are my understanding and, while they are fairly common, they are not the only way. I'm sure some of my fellow posters will be able to offer there own as well.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:29 AM

864 posts, read 871,024 times
Quote:
. what is eden in the Jewish mind? I have read that Jews call it Gan eden, is there a difference?

2. What is the Jewish thoughts on hell? I have read that the early Jews believed hell is a 12 month place of purification, is this correct and do you still believe that today?
1. Dittos what JB said, Gan Eden is the Garden of Eden and refers to the afterlife where the righteous spend eternity.
2. Gehinom is, as you said, a purification place, where souls are, sort of, cleansed before they can enter Gan Eden. The time spent in Gehinom is no more than 12 months. There is no difference between the beliefs of early Jews and Jews of today, except in their level of spirituality.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Like I said, our understanding of the afterlife is varied.

I can't say that I've met many who believe in a heaven like the Christian version. In Judaism, our term for the afterlife is olam ha-ba, or "the world to come". It tends to incorporate the idea of resurrection rather than an eternity in a spiritual place. As for "purified" souls, I reckon they would be reunited with our Creator in some fashion until the olam ha-ba comes to be.

Not so different from what I believe, for I also see heaven as dealing with resurrection and the world to come.

Quote:
For me, it represents the beginning of our creation; a time when mankind was in our infancy and, like an infant, we were shielded and in the direct care of our Creator. It also represents our " coming of age"; the time when we realized the gifts He gave us and sent us into the world so that we could reach our fullest potential.
I also agree here, in that we are sent into the world to reach our fullest potential.

Quote:
I know these answers probably aren't as definitive as you want, but Judaism is a religion where we look at things in many different ways and on many different levels.
Your answers are just fine JB, I also see many layers to the onion. Sheesh I must be a Jew at heart. LOL

Quote:
There's a saying that if you ask two Jews a question you'll get three answers, and it's true with our religious outlook as well.
LOL

Quote:
Please don't take my responses as being the only possible ones; they are my understanding and, while they are fairly common, they are not the only way. I'm sure some of my fellow posters will be able to offer there own as well
ok

Old 03-09-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post

1. Dittos what JB said, Gan Eden is the Garden of Eden and refers to the afterlife where the righteous spend eternity.
2. Gehinom is, as you said, a purification place, where souls are, sort of, cleansed before they can enter Gan Eden. The time spent in Gehinom is no more than 12 months. There is no difference between the beliefs of early Jews and Jews of today, except in their level of spirituality.
You might find it a little funny or ironic but I am a Christian who also believes that purification is the purpose of hell.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:43 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
You might find it a little funny or ironic but I am a Christian who also believes that purification is the purpose of hell.
fyi: For Judaism it's Purgatory(Gehinnom) and not Hell. A place of spiritual purification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism