Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 10:14 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,891,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
Why are you here again?
Because the things you guys discuss are so fascinating.

Whether to wear a hat all day?

If it is OK to eat a goldfish?

I mean, issues like these are what life is all about.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:20 AM

388 posts, read 384,585 times
That hat that you keep referring to in the "religious" forum is a kippah in Hebrew or a yarmulke in Yiddish. Covering our head is a sign of deference to Hashem.

And would it have mattered if it was any other fish in place of the Goldfish? It was a simple question if 1) we are allowed to eat a fish that has died of natural causes pre-intent to consume AND 2) are we allowed to eat a pet of ours (which all animals that are in our keeping are "Pets") [which was the easy part to answer].

Show some respect if you would be so kind.

Last edited by Tikva; 04-06-2014 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-06-2014, 10:21 AM

864 posts, read 870,547 times
Quote:
I mean, issues like these are what life is all about.
Yes.

Quote:
Show some respect if you would be so kind.
Hear, hear. Is that Tikva speaking?

Old 04-06-2014, 12:56 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,415,987 times
I just want to thank Jews for making it easier for me to find vegan cream cheese, etc.

When I was still a lacto vegetarian, the Kosher department at the grocery was a huge help.

Hey, I know there are more important things than this.

I became a lacto-ovo vegetarian in the mid-seventies. So much of what I ate back then was Jewish/Middle Eastern food.

You couldn't trust the Italian restaurant to give you eggplant instead of veal.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 04-06-2014 at 01:06 PM..

Old 04-06-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
"I" would like if you would respect the religion considering you like to post here often.
Yeah, Tikva. "I" would like that too.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:15 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,749,596 times
Perfect, now I don't have to start a new thread. I work in a chain grocery store, and certian times of the year they end caps set up for the Jewish holidays. The other day I saw an end cap set up for Passover, and the guy who set up the end cap said that they had to lay special parchment paper on the shelves so that the products wouldn't touch the shelves. Just curious how that all works out.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Just curious how that all works out.
It works out, all right. The products don't touch the shelves.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:19 AM

467 posts, read 352,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop
Who am I? I'm an Orthodox Jew living in a major city in America.
Any views I present will be the views of a Torah Observant Jew.
Just be careful to qualify your statements and perspective so as to reflect this.

Quote:
Speaking of non-observant Jews, their answers will sometimes differ from mine.
It doesn't make mine right and theirs wrong - just different views.
Like that.

When you KNOW what the specific differences are...
you have the obligation of the informed to pass that along.

hth

Reply:

Perhaps you could explain why theflipflop needs to repeatedly qualify his statements to reflect his perspective. Do you know what the word "orthodox" means? Just who is it who is asking questions about halachah, and what exactly does halachah mean to one who is not orthodox? Certainly each person is entitled to his own opinion, but I do not agree that theflipflop is some sort of oddball who has an obligation to hold up a sign saying, "I am orthodox. Please modulate your credulity accordingly."

He does NOT have an obligation of the informed to pass along all differences of opinion. If YOU have a difference of opinion, YOU may pass it along, but you have no standing to attempt to impose upon him an obligation to express your [perhaps misinformed] opinion.

Thank you, however, for your illustrated definition of the word "chutzpah."

Last edited by Call; 04-25-2014 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-25-2014, 10:44 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,346 times
Call, welcome to the forum and I hope you stick around.

The dynamic here is quite odd, as the majority of the posters here are non Observant (some even formerly observant but now off the derech and bent on promoting leaving Torah behind), and they do tend to dominate the dialog with their alternative Jewish views.

That said, you can be sure the next several posts will be to attack me personally with a good but of attack on the Torah and those who guard it.

So why do I stick around? Well, there are two posters here who have expressed a sincere interest in getting closer to Torah, and from time to time I have insights that are helpful to them. I also learn a lot from those two. All the rest here, well just watch what happens next. They'll quickly identify themselves and their hatred for the Torah.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:19 AM

388 posts, read 384,585 times
I just find it hysterical that because I am not Orthodox, that I must hate the Torah, according to you.

I'll keep that in mind when I go to Shul tonight and tomorrow morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.