Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 05:08 PM

2,675 posts, read 1,253,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So...who gets to decide if I'm a Jew or not?
Who gets to decide if I'm an American or not? There are rules that establish membership either by birth or by conversion/naturalization.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,091,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
That depends -- are you Jewish under Jewish law or are you just calling yourself that for kicks? Is your question whether a random person can arbitrarily call himself Jewish or is it whether a Jew can still call himself a Jew and yet not hold to the teachings?
What Vizio didn't mention is....he's a Christian and a fundamentalist. (Think Mike Huckabee.) Who has stated he is the pastor of a very small Bible believing community church. If he's Jewish....I'm the Queen of England.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:42 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,068,516 times
In the Islamic faith, folks of pre-Islamic era (non-Muslims) will be judged by the message of the prophet that was sent to them in their time, and also by their good character and righteous deeds.

Quran also indicates this in 2:62, where Jews and believers of other faiths will be blessed if they were righteous.

Sometimes I wonder what's the Jewish take on the fate of people of pre-Moses era?

Old 10-01-2015, 03:44 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,858,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
In the Islamic faith, folks of pre-Islamic era (non-Muslims) will be judged by the message of the prophet that was sent to them in their time, and also by their good character and righteous deeds.

Quran also indicates this in 2:62, where Jews and believers of other faiths will be blessed if they were righteous.

Sometimes I wonder what's the Jewish take on the fate of people of pre-Moses era?
We generally believe that non-Jews of any era are not held to Jewish law, and are only required to be decent and good people to share in the World to Come. The Noahide commandments are typically used as the measuring stick to determine who is a "righteous gentile".

Old 10-01-2015, 08:13 AM

10,077 posts, read 6,375,305 times
DewDropInn, I'm not allowed to rep you again, but I totally agree with your response. I guess Vizio got tired of fighting with the atheists and decided to come trolling here instead. He needs to find a better hobby!

Old 10-01-2015, 11:09 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,091,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
DewDropInn, I'm not allowed to rep you again, but I totally agree with your response. I guess Vizio got tired of fighting with the atheists and decided to come trolling here instead. He needs to find a better hobby!
I think honesty and openness are important and necessary for a fair discussion.

p.s. He does the same thing on the Christianity forum. I know that some regulars on the Judea forum don't read that forum. I thought a heads up was in order.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:57 PM

32,530 posts, read 21,945,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
It's Succos right now, his favorite holiday. Maybe he doesn't post on chol hamoad.
Okay...Thanks..

Old 10-01-2015, 01:58 PM

32,530 posts, read 21,945,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Can I just decide to call myself a Jew and not hold to any of the teachings of Judaism?
Why would you want to do that?...

Old 10-01-2015, 08:02 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,068,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
We generally believe that non-Jews of any era are not held to Jewish law, and are only required to be decent and good people to share in the World to Come. The Noahide commandments are typically used as the measuring stick to determine who is a "righteous gentile".
Thanks.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:45 PM

22,992 posts, read 10,340,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Who gets to decide if I'm an American or not? There are rules that establish membership either by birth or by conversion/naturalization.

The non tribal with pass from this place like ashes in the wind, all those who do not hear the trumpet will be moved out of their place, and the buffalo will be in the millions and nobody shall grain feed calves. I decide who is an American and I can smell a foreigner from a mile away, and my horse can smell him at 5.

With the horns of a bull we shall push the foreigners east of the Mississippi, and wolves will be a guard against any trespass.

"The white people, who are trying to make us over into their image, they want us to be what they call "assimilated," bringing the Indians into the mainstream and destroying our own way of life and our own cultural patterns. They believe we should be contented like those whose concept of happiness is materialistic and greedy, which is very different from our way.

We want freedom from the white man rather than to be integrated. We don't want any part of the establishment, we want to be free to raise our children in our religion, in our ways, to be able to hunt and fish and live in peace. We don't want power, we don't want to be congressmen, or bankers....we want to be ourselves. We want to have our heritage, because we are the owners of this land and because we belong here.

The white man says, there is freedom and justice for all. We have had "freedom and justice," and that is why we have been almost exterminated. We shall not forget this."

-From the 1927 Grand Council of American Indians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.